Tracheostomy and vegetative state : So my boyfriend... - ICUsteps

ICUsteps
4,076 members1,148 posts

Tracheostomy and vegetative state

Riri04
Riri04

So my boyfriend is now on tracheostomy and I believe he’s in a vegetative state as he sometimes moves his eyelids and opens his eyes? He takes deep breathes as well. Has anyone been in a vegetative state? If so, for how long (due to brain damage)

29 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, my father was in a coma after cardiac arrest which affected the brain due to lack of oxygen. He even opened his eyes but did not recognise us (i think) he could not speak, also had tracheostomy. He stayed like this for 4 weeks and had also to have dialysis before he passed. He was an elderly man with kidneys problems. Not sure how does it work for younger people. They may have more chance, hopefully. Good luck and take care.

I’m really sorry to hear this Areeba 😟 Often when a patient is in a vegetative state, they will remain that way. I’m so sorry to tell you that but it’s important you know. He may make small improvements over time but it’s unlikely he will ever be able to care for himself again or go back to the life he had before xx

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to VickyC1982

He’s still very young so there’s still hope he will recover

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Riri04

Yes it’s not considered permanent until they have been in that state for over six months. I was like a baby when I first came round, had to learn to use a cup again, couldn’t work my phone, couldn’t walk. The body is amazing so you can never be sure what will happen. Just continue to be there for him like you have been doing xx

Did the Drs tell you he was in a vegetative state?. I hope he improves. Remain hopeful was the best advice we were given when my brother was in a coma. I respect the circumstances are different here to our family but I hope your young boyfriend makes some recovery. Best wishes

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Copse77

I’m remaining hopeful but when the doctors are constantly saying there is no hope as his prognosis is poor, it is very difficult

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Riri04

And the doctors haven’t stated he’s in w vegetative state but judging from every research I’ve done and to see him, it seems like it

Copse77
Copse77
in reply to Riri04

I hope that with time he does make some progress. Thinking of you and your boyfriend.

Hi Areeba, my husband was also like this but was bought out of his coma after 5 weeks - he had the same. Keep strong, as hard as it is x

Did he suffer from hypoxia as well?

Yes x

How long was he in a vegetative state? How’s he doing now

He’s been awake now for 6 weeks, we’ve moved from ICU to HDU and hoping for a discharge as inpatient within the next two weeks.

Hold on in there. It’s hard but you can do it, just keep speaking with him and look after yourself x

That’s good, does he have severe brain damage or global hypoxia?

No brain damage and hypoxia has lifted to the point where’s he’s off O2 completely now. We were lucky... x

Never give up my son had a tbi due though being attacked was giving low recovery , wer now 3 years on he’s now talking and remembering everything about his life, he’s got mobility problems and a lot more but the only way is one step at a time, baby steps keep us going

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Georgiab123

Glad to hear his recovery. My boyfriend has a non-tbi which seems to be worse

Georgiab123
Georgiab123
in reply to Riri04

All the luck in the world please never give up

Thank you, just a quick question did the ct scan and mri scan show non-response from the brain? Or n20 waves

Georgiab123
Georgiab123
in reply to Riri04

Hi he never had one his scull was smashed to pieces , never give him any hope I sat with his siblings n kids n willed him on it definitely worked x

I do. My Doctors told my father that if I'll wake up from a coma, there's a chance that I will be on vegetative state due to the extensive damage on my brain, and the duration will all depends on me. It lasted for just a couple of days.

Please don't give up on him. I'm hoping for the best on his recovery. Stay strong, he needs you.

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Legan_gray

Hi, thank you! Was you non responsive (if they carried out n20 waves and such)

Legan_gray
Legan_gray
in reply to Riri04

I'm not aware of that n20 wave, but I scored 8 on Glasgow coma scale. And my brain injury was caused by Hypoxia.

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Legan_gray

How long was you out of oxygen?

Legan_gray
Legan_gray
in reply to Riri04

I think no one knows exactly for how long. We were hiking when it happened. I got unwell and was left by my friends at the hostel with our guide.

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Legan_gray

Oh no that’s terrible, do you think it was for a long time?

Legan_gray
Legan_gray
in reply to Riri04

I don't have any idea. Our guide left me to find my friends. According to the rescuers, the lodge owner informed the rescue doctors and they went up to help me with supplemental oxygen and medication. Maybe not that long?

Riri04
Riri04
in reply to Legan_gray

I see, glad for your recovery

You may also like...