Update : So my boyfriend is off induced coma and In... - ICUsteps

ICUsteps
4,020 members1,123 posts

Update

Areeba04
Areeba04

So my boyfriend is off induced coma and In an actual coma himself. Sometimes he would “squeeze” someone’s finger or his upper body would try to get up? What does that mean

10 Replies
oldestnewest

When his nurse attends to him take the opportunity to ask whether these are positive signs. The Nurses are generally kind and approachable.

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to Stayloose

The nurse said apparently it’s abnormal movement?

Stayloose
Stayloose
in reply to Areeba04

I guess she means it's muscular movement that just happens as opposed to a decision made by him. If unsure just ask. Sometimes medical people say things that are obvious to them but aren't clear if you don't know the medical language.

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to Stayloose

Thanks, I also found out his eyelids were moving just the other day

There is something called ‘the glasgow scale’ which helps to measure how profoundly comatose any given patient might be :

brainline.org/article/what-...

It takes time to wake from an induced coma as the drugs used are very powerful. It’s helpful to keep a diary and ask for advice from the medical staff what the movements are being cause by.

I don’t know what that means. It’s probably hard being the girlfriend to get good info on the patient. Thoughts and prayers to you and his family during this frustrating time

Talk to him even if he’s asleep, play his favourite music, read him stories, tell him which day it is, what’s going on, etc. don’t give up and take care of yourself as well

Hi tacked

Most people in a coma dream a lot apparently. I certainly did and I remember my family talking to me but I thought it was part of my dream. I only realised after I woke up when they told me some of the things they said I remembered. So don't stop talking to him and maybe those little twitches and things are a good sign. My son asked if I could feel the fan on me when I was standing in a gale force wind. Turns out my temperature was going through the roof so they were using a fan to try and bring it down

The only strange movements I made was when I was still sedated. Maybe all the drugs aren’t out of his system yet? If they are then the movements could be something to do with the damage done to his brain through lack of oxygen xx

You may also like...