Long term cognitive impairment : Has anyone been... - ICUsteps

ICUsteps
4,018 members1,122 posts

Long term cognitive impairment

crashdoll
crashdoll

Has anyone been diagnosed with a cognitive impairment after being critically ill? I was unwell with septic shock and ARDS, in my late twenties. I’ve been struggling over the last couple of years with memory and other stuff. Formal testing has shown, in some areas, I have a severe impairment. Fortunately, I am far exceeding the average in other areas which I think helps me compensate. I’m quite shocked as I assumed I’d be ok. My brain MRI post hospital discharge was normal, not sure if they’re going to repeat it. Interested to hear other views. Thank you.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Crashdoll. I'm sure it must be concerning especially if you didn't consider there was an issue initially. There was a thread on memory about 5 months ago. If you put it in search hopefully one of the people will respond. X

crashdoll
crashdoll
in reply to Stayloose

Thank you. To be honest, I just assumed my cognitive difficulties were due to pain, fatigue and stress. I never realised how ill I truly was so I guess it’s not unexpected to have some permanent changes.

Stayloose
Stayloose
in reply to crashdoll

It's certainly difficult to sort out what belongs to what, especially if you have ongoing health issues anyway. I hope you are seen by someone helpful and encouraging.

Kintsugi - I definitely have a different cognitive process since ICU.

crashdoll
crashdoll
in reply to Sepsur

Hi Sepsur were you offered formal testing? I thought I’d been referred to an outpatient neuro rehab centre for fatigue management. I was surprised when they told me if been referred to a neuro psychologist because they were concerned about me!

Sepsur
Sepsur
in reply to crashdoll

Offered nothing except physio

I'm also late 20s (30 next month :( ) I was ill about a year ago coma sepsis and possibly septic shock and I could have sworn that since then my memory is much worse than it used to be and I seem to be a bit slower mentally than I was prior to being unwell. Oddly I have a better memory for conversations than I used to.

The only thing I’ve noticed is that I totally different word comes out of my mouth rather than the one I meant to say. I had a CT head scan which was normal xx