Pneumonia : Is it common for patients in ICU to get... - ICUsteps

ICUsteps
4,018 members1,122 posts

Pneumonia

Areeba04
Areeba04

Is it common for patients in ICU to get pneumonia?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes ITU patients can get pneumonia whilst in hospital. The tube they put in to help you breathe can be a source of infection. As you are sedated as well, you are less able to cough up secretions which can also lead to infection x

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

Okay thank you, I went to see him yesterday and he’s not in a induced coma. He’s in a coma now but I found out he has pneumonia now as well

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Areeba04

Unfortunately it is a common occurrence in intensive care. I hope that he starts to improve xx

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

Honestly, I feel like he is. I don’t know if I’m being optimistic but when I saw him I felt his presence and that he’s starting to improve. Is that weird?

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Areeba04

Not weird no. Talk to him when you’re there and play him his favourite music. I don’t remember my family and friends being there but my eyes started flickering when I was played clips of my little boy and my favourite tunes. I’m really hoping he pulls through and sending you both positive vibes xx

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

Thank you and I appreciate it x

I had pneumonia when I was in a coma. I already have a schedule for tracheostomy that time, but fortunately my Doctor gave me another 2 days more to improve.

You may also like...