Update : An update on my boyfriends state, the CT... - ICUsteps

ICUsteps
4,007 members1,118 posts

Update

Areeba04
Areeba04

An update on my boyfriends state, the CT scan and MRI scan have come back and it shows intensive brain damage due to hypoxia and the MRI scan is ok as in it has the white and dark matters as it should but the gaps in between the brain are like 4cm rather than 2cm. He’s on low sedation (like 10) and his body responding well to it as in his heart rate and blood pressure is stable which it wasn’t before. He’s also getting hiccups? However, what’s my concern is that the doctors have said they’ve given up as the CT scans that have come back is enough evidence for them to not do anything further and that he’s not going to wake up and have no quality of life at all. They are only doing these extra things to reassure the family

11 Replies
oldestnewest

I’m so sorry to hear the news regarding the CT and MRI results. Have they tried him off the ventilator to see if he can breathe unaided? Are you able to communicate with him at all? X

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

no not at all. he was taken off sedation but was not responding but his heart rate and blood pressure was increasing. they've now got him very low sedation and hes stable now but still on everything else

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Areeba04

So he still has the breathing tube in? I know the doctors would need to run other tests on him to confirm there was no chance of recovery. Have you been able to get into see him at all? X

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

yes he's still on the ventilator, i dont think he can breath by himself. I haven't seen him since tuesday i believe

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Areeba04

I hope you get into see him soon. Sounds like he unfortunately won’t be able to function at the same level as he was before this. This doesn’t mean he won’t be able to still enjoy a different kind of life though with help and support.

My number one fear before they put me into the induced coma was that they would give up on me. Three very experienced consultants expected me to die yet here I am living a normal life xx

Areeba04
Areeba04
in reply to VickyC1982

But he’s not even off sedation and awake yet

VickyC1982
VickyC1982
in reply to Areeba04

Well they need to completely stop the sedative in order to assess his brain function x

I'm really sorry to hear your update. Take care

I’m very sorry to read your update - wishing you well

I am thinking of you and your boyfriend and his family. Best wishes.

I am very very sorry ,although I without a doubt, am certain as soon as nature steps in he will no longer have to deal with the very confused state he’s currently in and will be able to rest up for whatever you believe comes next. We are only humans and see passing as a horrible terrible thing but that’s reserved for we who stay behind in this world. Try to see beyond and trust that you are going to see him again at his best self. This really isn’t a religion lesson it’s more of a comfortable place I hope you can find within yourself. You just really never know I had a major stroke when I was 26 Dr.’s called my parents and said” hurry up we don’t know how much longer she’s gonna be here” I woke up the next day. Half body paralyzed and they said” she will not be able to take care of herself and NEVER be out of wheelchair”. Yes I walked around college campus for 6yrs to obtain a 4yr degree( they also said I wouldn’t be able to retain information). I am an athlete and have a good lookin husband I guess found my limp attractive-lol. I didn’t tell you my story bcuz I don’t want people to get their hopes up. As none of us know. Life is mysterious. Very seldom do we see “reason” for the why’s and when’s in life. I am only able to walk bcuz I was also an athlete prior to stroking so my leg retained its muscle memory so my leg takes a step bcuz my muscles pull it up off ground there’s no bend in knee or ankle. Sorry it’s all very scientific Take care of yourself. I hope you get comfort.

You may also like...