ICU Heat

Hi,

It's now been a year since coming out of ICU and hospital, I'm on the mend but since coming out of hospital I have noticed that I always feel hot, I find during the day and night I feel more comfortable when I have windows open or I'm outside in the fresh air. I was never like this before I went into hospital, It has only happened since coming out.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'm 18 months out now and I have found that my internal thermostat seems to have broken, sometimes cold but most often need a fan on to stay cool whilst my wife has to wrap up in a blanket. Its really quite annoying and like you this has happened since coming out.

• Yeah, I always ran hot but now I get very cold to the point I have to have the fire on. I'm you're opposite but yes, all since hospital also.

• Its been 5 years since I have been in ICU and I started having 'hot sessions' soon after leaving ICU. Over the years its got so bad that I never went anywhere without at least one towel with me to soak up all the resulting moisture.

I spoke to my GP about this many times and I was told it was my age etc.

I made a list of all my medication I had been put on while in ICU and found out that possible side effects of one of my meds was excessive sweating. I managed to persuade my GP to change this particular medication. My GP was not happy about this but agreed to try a different medication for two weeks. Within a matter of days the difference was amazing, no more sweating sessions lasting all day. Now I only have a 'hot session' when I have hot drink.

My GP was amazed, and needless to say I am delighted. I am now on the new medication permanently and its lovely.

Maybe you need to research your medication for possible side-effects and go back to your GP.

Wishing you all the best.

• Yes I'm the same keep having to sleep with the window open so I can breath fresh cold air and I often find myself overheating. I used to be the opposite always cold.

• I occasionally have hot flushes, for no apparent reason. Never had those before, and my meds are the same as pre-ICU. It's a mystery.

• I have the same experience. My wife has to change the bed linen all the time. We just got a new mattress and you can see the shape of my body on the old one!!

You may also like...