Cognitive Problems, Depression? Perhaps an Intermittent Fast is what you Need!

I've just started reading a fascinating book by the interesting Dr Michael Mosley "The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Dieting". I have to say that it all makes perfect sense and most of all, the people and medics he talked to for researching this subject are most impressive. I also like the fact that it can also help to cut down inflammatory process's which for autoimmune conditions has got to be a good thing.

My hubby and I are going to give it a go together and see what happens as we both need to lose weight but more importantly if it gives us both some health benefits so much the better. I'll keep you informed how I'm getting on!

25 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi there.. I saw the medical programme attached to this with - did you watch it APsnotFab?

I already do it to some degree if I have been out for dinner or to somebody's house where diet is not quite so careful... I then follow it up by a 'less' day. x

bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

Mary F x

• No I didn't, Thanks for that I will take a look! Xx

• No longer on I player... but here you are.. or maybe: longecity.org/forum/topic/5...

MF xxx SLURP

• Hello you two girls.

My wife strated this diet but it all went to rats over Christmas; she's going to try it again soon.

I do wonder if it is not a dangerous thing for those on Warfarin though, as it will play hell with their INR; consistancy being the word, in all things, where INR is concerned.

Best wishes.

Dave xx

• The two fasting days where you restrict food intake to 500 calories for women and 600 for men could be an issue although Dr Mosley ate bacon and eggs for breakfast and then steamed fish and veggies as an evening meal with plenty of black tea and water in between. This means splitting the calorie intake 250/350 and does not seem too extreme. It's probably worth speaking to medical advisors before embarking on this. I don't have to worry as I'm on heparin so I'm starting tomorrow!

• Like you I'm on Heparin so I don't need to worry about Vit K intake consistency but that is certainly what would worry me and my be an issue for APS patients who are on Warfarin.

Best wishes.

Dave

• As a Vegetarian , I do eat eggs if they come from cage free hens, I would not believe anything someone who eats bacon has to recommend....it is so bad for your health not to mention your soul

• That was just a suggestion, there are plenty of other things that can be eaten instead as they give menus for those that dont want to work out their own ideas. You can have muesli or porridge too. Remember nothing is set in stone its very much left to the individual as its not meant to be a diet but to become a way of life.

Perhaps best to read the book. x

• Warm regards to you...apologize I some times get carried away with my concern for animals

• Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Gina

• The 5:2 diet is more realistic and just as good for you. Even if you don't want to lose weight, it's worth it due to the improvements in cholesterol etc. The programme was on BBC Horizon. It's very easy to maintain this - just pick diet days, usually Monday and Wednesday/Thursday and eat what you like (within reason!) the rest of the time.

• Link posted above, I think x

• Its not just the benefits to cholesterol and all the other lipids but also those who are borderline diabetic, it will cut down glucose levels too. In fact the more I read the book the more interesting the facts coming out - those under going chemo have less side effects and better results if fasting than those who do not. Fasting takes us right back to our primal state and gets us into that feast or famine situation. As is said in the book, only doing it for one day and then eating completely normally the next few days before doing it for another day makes it very do able and probably why most people can succeed with it.

• Hi,

Is this something for me who struggle each day to keep the right INR not too high and not too low?

I eat healthy and I am normal weight but I shall reduce my Cholesterol if I can because of too high PAH.

I would be glad for an answer.

Best wishes

Kerstin

• Hi Kerstin, The studies that seem to be coming out of this way of eating seem to be indicating that if you fast once or twice a week ((5-2) with a very low calorie intake on the fasting days, 500 if you are female and 600 for a male can not only help you to lose weight but also help reduce Cholesterol and other things like Triglycerides and Glucose levels.

Dave makes a good point however that if you are on warfarin that consistency is good to keep your INR at a constant level, so perhaps speak with your Doctors to ask if this is a good thing for you to do before starting. I hope thats helpful.

• Hi APsnotFab,

Thank you for answering but i do not understand what you mean with "that consistency" is good to keep ......

I would not dream of any fasting days but I will talk to the Anticoagulation department when I understand what you mean.

• Consistency means adherence to the same pattern of behaviour. I hope that helps x

• Thank you APsnotFab,

I dont think it is "consistency" if you change the amount of food twice a week.

But it is an interesting question really. You never know....... I will ask the professional nurse who knows INR and Warfarin. She will call me tomorrow after my veintest at the lab.

• Surely the intermittent fast will not only alter the INR by the changes in the type of foods (and therefore the Vitamin K intake) but it also causes changes in your bowel motions. When those of us using Warfarin to control our clotting times changes in our bodies all seem to effect the INR. I have not read or seen programs on this diet but would be very careful with anything that will mess with my anticoagulation.

Not wishing to gross anyone out I would add that if I have diarrhoea by INR drops like a stone and if I am constipated it rises with the same speed. This might just be me, but I do keep a daily record of food intake and the levels of Vitamin K I have in my daily diet and have done for over 8 years, so know what effects my INR, but we are all different.

Please make sure the nurse checks her answer to you, and can give you some references to check for yourself, as I know of clinic nurses who have given out some dreadful information about Vitamin K and green leafy products.

Regards

Eddie

• Just to add that I have also had some very good information from clinic nurses, which is sometimes far better than some of the doctors I have seen or have read about in other patients experiences.

• Hi ebulfin,

Thank you for your advice! This nurse is better than my M D Hematolog as concerning INR and Warfarin. My doctor always ask her, but of course this is a question of knowledge about other things regarding APS.

I also make notes about my K-vit intake. When my Choaguchek shows more than 4.8 I take a little bit more Broccoli. Then the lab vein result is 3.6 when I control it every second week 2 hours later. I am very unusual in the big difference bitween lab vein and Choaguchek result.

we trust the lab result. Sometimes the lab vein result and the Choaguchek result differs. But usually it is around 0,8 - 1,2. This is because of Lupus Anticoagulant in my blood we think.

Any one else like me in Stockholm?

• Yes, just to reiterate - if you are taking warfarin you must ALWAYS let your anticoag clinic know if you are changing diet or medication as your INR can be affected so easily.

For those of you on aspirin, clopidogrel or heparin (and the rare ones on Rivaroxaban - maybe all of us one day!) - you can change your diet without problem.

• I've always had 'fasting' days (I'm not a big eater). If it's 2 days in row, I take a Vit K pill, to keep INR steady.

• They don't advocate 2 days in a row as they feel its not sustainable and a bit harsh. Splitting the days is better like a Monday and Thursday. Ive tweeted Dr Mosley to ask advice about INR but so far no response.

• I've tried this now and then and it works for me. I feel better after a "fasting" day (although 500 calories really isn't fasting.) If it is only 2 days, with "regular" days spaced in between, I would not think it would effect INR so much (though yes, we are all different.) It takes a few days for warfarin to work out of your system... I take 5 mg every day except for Monday which is 7mg, to keep a slightly decreasing INR each week at the proper level. If for some reason I end up "greenless" one day, the next day I'm sure to have a good serving extra of brocolli or salad. Consistency is best, but 24 hours isn't enough to whack my INR out, so one day here and one day there isn't a big deal as long as over 2 to 3 days the "consistent" amount of greens is eaten. But I also think you can eat the same amount of green as usual and a little less protein ... and cut out the Danish and any sugar/fat food and be able to stay around 500 calories, without affecting INR.

You may also like...