Rupture: Living with a Broken Brain

Rupture: Living with a Broken Brain

For those of you who may have had a Stroke or are the partners of someone who has, I would really recommend watching this film on BBC 4. It has been shown already and repeated so now only available on the BBC IPlayer.

It is a Documentary in which actress Maryam d'Abo, who suffered a brain haemorrhage in 2007, guides you through her personal journey of recovery and meets other survivors of brain injuries.

I had struggled to describe to my husband and family how I had felt after my stroke which made it difficult for them to understand and relate to how I was feeling and the emotions I was going through. They say that only those that experience similar situations can really relate so it was like a breath of fresh air to watch this film and find not just one but a number of people that had felt the same as I had done. At the time you feel you are in a cage, clawing at the sides to get out and screaming inside in silence because you can't find the words.

I recorded it for my husband but he didn't want to watch it so I left it for him to watch in his own time, yesterday unbeknown to me he did and afterwards he told me that he now understands what it is that I have been trying to explain to him. He says he "gets it" now.

He also tells me that it has brought home to him just how bad I was but how far I have come, but also how quickly things can change. I could tell from his eyes and face when he told me that he can see why I now behave in the way that I do that he can now really relate to what has happened to me. Deep down he had been assuming or perhaps it was just wishful thinking, that perhaps tomorrow or the next day, if he was lucky things would just go back to "normal"!

This should be made compulsory viewing for all families of stroke victims. Finally finding the words to describe something you have felt and then knowing you are not alone in feeling it is incredibly empowering.

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b...

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good for you Lynn, I shall watch this some time this week. Mary F x and thanks!

• I watched this and was amazed about how lucky some people are to survive such experiences and to be able to get on with life afterwards. My only experience of stroke is my mother, and that is too negative an experience for me to want to share it here.

Emma

• Im so sorry about that Emma. They did say that it depended on where the clot or bleed was in the brain and of course the damage it does.

The brain is truly and amazing organ and still so much to learn from it.

• I've watched this twice and been so touched by it. Not only by her courage, but also because I could relate..... on a very small scale. It shows the courage we all have, as well, even if we don't know it. Each day we face challenges and each day we step over hurdles, even if through tears and anger. Those are the low moments. But we do it because that is what is presented to us. We wouldn't be here if we didn't have courage, courage to look for answers and to keep searching!

Hooray for her for her huge courage and for letting us know how the brain can and does heal.

• Is there a way to see this in the US? When I go to the link, it says it is only available for viewers in the UK.

• I'll have a look into it for you and let you know.

• I have found out the reason it is not available outside of the UK is because its to do with the licence fee that we pay in the UK to be able to watch a TV. At the moment they don't know of any plans to make it available beyond the UK but they have given me the email address of the people who were involved with the production company so there is the possibility that there is a DVD or something like that which could be purchased.

I will ask the question and let you know if I get an answer.

• THANKS!

• Hi Lynn

Thanks for posting this, it's sad yet inspiring,

Hugs n love Sheena xxxxx :-) :-) :-)

• Thanks so much for sharing this! Don't have enough time to watch it now but will definitely be watching some night when I can't seem to fall asleep- happens often!

Oh darn, Can't watch it here!! Hoping a copy can be made?

• Thank you for sharing this. It was inspiring. So glad I watched it.

You may also like...