Problem with my Echo

Quick update from last weeks chest pain issue!

I'm off to London on Wednesday to see one of Prof Hughes Rheumatologists.

Had my echo results today and I've got left ventricle mild-moderate reduction in blood flow. GP said my hearts not pumping properly and has done a rapid access referral to the chest pain clinic.

No idea what this means or how it relates to APS!

Let's see what the next round of Drs and tests brings x

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • HI, I think they need to check the underline causes, like blood pressure, etc. There are various medications that can help.

Left ventricular hypertrophy is enlargement and thickening (hypertrophy) of the walls of your heart's main pumping chamber (left ventricle).

They will want to check the thickness of the chamber wall and sometimes the chamber itself.

Sounds like this has been caught early and you are being well looked after.

I have various vascular stenosis's, which are related to my APS, so like you would presume this is blood (APS) related, but could be an added problem to your recent health issues.

Don't let this set you back with your new plans with life.

All the best and of course keep us informed on your progress.

• Thank you ! I'm sat googling which I know I shouldn't but it's all quite scary.

I've had 5/6 episodes of this chest pain (when my inr dips) so to me it's related to APS. I'm glad they're actually doing something about it now and hopefully I'll get treatment to help.

Of course I will keep everyone updated. X

• Hi, I have stenosis in both my sub-clavian arteries, which causes me to have what they call sub-clavian steels, although I am not on warfrin, as I just couldn't get on with it, (Further two stenosis while on it!), If my blood it too thick I get more steels, and they increase in intensity. I have learnt to live with this and have an excellent doctor who trusts me to follow my own instincts and lets me increase my anticoagulants when this happens. I now treat it as 'lucky', that I have an early warning signal regarding my APS.

• Hi Holly-Heski,

If you are not on Warfarin I wonder what other anticoagulationdrug you use?

Best wishes from Kerstin in Stockholm

• Hi, I am on rivoraban, normally 20mg per day, but increase to 30mg if feel unwell in anyway (when on clexane, it was 80mls to 100 per day), plus clopyidogrel and asprin daily. If and when I was on warferin target INR was 3.5 - 4.5. I've had stokes and a blood clot in my subclavian artery, which is still there but stable.

I am being very carefully watched on the riveroxaban, as no clinical trials have been done on arterial clotters like myself!

• May I ask why you stopped Warfarin?

Kerstin

• Completly bloated out, kept in hospital for a month, couldnt get INR stable despite being watched by a dietician. Found that warferin works via the liver and my liver couldnt cope.

• Hi Kelly,

Hope you keep your bloodpressure down and try to keep in range with your selftesting.

Good Luck on Wednesday!

Kerstin

• Best of luck with your appointment MaryF

• im just happy something was found. Once again, APS patients can never be straightforward with how we present it seems, unless it is a big normal standard issue DVT, or something of that sort.

• Yes I was pleased they found something !! I wasn't expecting it after so many normal tests. Hopefully things can move forward now x

• Hi Yllek it's great to hear that you may finally have the answer and treatment. I received the copy letter from consultant at guys at the weekend and it seems finally I have a name for my chest pains to, They think I have an element of Microvascular disease secondary to APS. Also separately since last August been getting alot of pain, tingling and numbness in right shoulder, fingers and top of right leg which they think could be Degenerative Cervical Spine Lesions are likely. Not sure what happens now suppose I have to wait until August when I next see my local Rheumatologist. Good luck with your next appointment

• Kelly, Sorry to say but you would definitely know first hand, I hope you continue to feel better

• 🌵Kelly or 🇬🇧Kelly?

Ha!

Yes, WittyCindy, I'm SO MUCH BETTER on Lovenox. Not a true migraine since I switched- so the hassle of the "Warfarin Woes" have been worth it so far. Let's just hope I don't clot again with the warfarin. When a patient becomes so terribly symptomatic on both meds it's a real problem. A patient is very fortunate if they can find one that works reasonably well, as you well know.

Not sure which Kelly this was meant for, ( I think me) but all the best to our London Kelly. May the health of her heart be as delightful as the nature of it!

Ah! I like that one! A new toast !

• 🌵this was meant for you, you were correct

• Good wishes. I know you have been frustrated with this and rightly so. Opefully you can get some definitive Weds. Please repost when you do😁😁😁😁😁

• Hi Yllek! Do you know what your 'ejection fraction' is? Nancy

• Also, my reduced ejection fraction (in the 20's) seems to be due to microvascular clotting in the heart muscle. The ejection fraction is s measure of how well the left ventricle is pumping.

Normal ejection fractions usually run in the 70% range, in the USA anyway.

Nancy

• Eek no! Never heard of that. All I know was mild-moderate reduction in blood flow from left ventricle! I'm going to London tomorrow and will be seen by cardiologist within 2 weeks so hopefully I'll get some more answers.

Did your echo show similar then? Will they be able to test further for microclotting? What medication do you take if any? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks x

• Initially my echocardiogram revealed severe decrease in pumping ability(ejection fraction) , mild mitral valve regurgitation, and dialyated cardiomyopathy. A cardiac cath/ angiogram next revealed NO major blocked arteries and a stiffening of the septum--tissue between atrium and ventricles. In other words, problem could not be solved with stents or bipass surgery. Only surgical solution is transplant, which I don't think is viable treatment with all my health problems.

I do have a 20 year history of angina. I also have a history of microvascular clotting in jawbone. But, I have never had a heart attack that I know of, unless I had a silent heart attack. But I did have a brother that died at 56 of cardiomyopathy. Also maternal uncle died at 56 of cardiomyopathy. So family history significant.

I will be 68 in October. If I make it, I will have outlived 2 siblings, both parents, and three out of four grandparents. A long life does not run in my family.

Hopefully, you do not have do many strikes against you. It may turn out to be a totally treatable situation. But at least your doctors are not ignoring your symptoms.

I don't know of any specific tests for micro clotting. I do know my jaw biopsy revealed ischemic changes which were later determined to be from micro clotting.

Good luck, Yllek!

Nancy in West Virginia

• Best of wishes to you

• 🇬🇧Yllek, so what did you find out today?

• Thanks for thinking and asking about me.

I had some very positive things come from going to London and I feel I will now be well looked after.

It was suggested by one that when my inr is low I have vasoconstriction in my chest causing angina symptoms and due to my blood being thicker it causes the same issue in my extremities which is why my hands have the same issue.

It makes sense doesn't it! Seeing a cardiologist and having an MRI with contrast of my heart next.

Feeling much calmer and more hopeful today x

You may also like...