Plaquenil/Hydroxychloroquine Information

Plaquenil/Hydroxychloroquine Information

This is old information but as I thought it was pinned and I now cant find it, I am therefore posting it again.

After speaking with Sanofi-Aventis Medince’s Information Department (the manufacturers of Plaquenil) we have learned that Plaquenil has now been ‘de-branded’ to generic but that the same formulation of the drug will be available through pharmacies if they order Hydroxychloroquine through Zentiva (sister company to Sanofi).

This information will be especially important to those people with lupus who experience negative side-effects from the alternative brand of Hydroxychloroquine, ‘Quinoric’.

If your pharmacist has any difficulty obtaining the Hydroxycloroquine with the same formula from Zentiva, the product description is: “HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE SULPHATE (ZENTIVA) 200MG FILM COATED” and the ‘PIP number’ (Product Code) is 1201730.

If for any reason they cannot find the product on their system they can ring the customer service line on 0800 854 430.

Update – 11/12/2015

We have been contacted by Sanofi and informed that the supplier AAH is now fully stocked with Zentiva Hydroxychloroquine and have the product available to all pharmacies.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • 18 months ago (before I joined this forum) my chemist changed the supplier of my plaquenil, I went through a lot of tummy/bowel problems, then I read about this-after a lot of trouble between GP & chemist they have now put me on hydroxychloroquine from supplier Teva - everything has settled down but should I go back & insist I have the above brand?

• I would not rock the boat. If you are settled why try to fix something that ain't broke!

• Yes I am on this

• Yes I am on the right one tooo and this helped as when I am on alternative the pain in my hands and feet are debilitating. Pharmacist now has my name on a shelf to make sure I get correct one. Have similar problem with oral morphine sulphate can only use Oromorph. Other s don't seem to work

You may also like...