A Trigger May Have Been Uncovered For Lupus And Other Autoimmune Diseases like Sjogrens Syndrome At The Hospital For Special Surgery In NY

A Trigger May Have Been Uncovered For Lupus And Other Autoimmune Diseases like Sjogrens Syndrome At The Hospital For Special Surgery In NY

Lupus News report that Scientists at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York (HSS) together with Greek researchers may have identified a trigger for autoimmune disorders. Investigators found virus-like components of the human genome that seem to be associated with both Lupus and Sjogren’s syndrome.

Last edited by

9 Replies

• Very interesting, thanks for putting this on here. MaryF

• Great news! We are getting closer. Thank you for posting this information.

• Makes sense! Now why didnt I think of that?

• Prof Hughes always said he felt a virus was the trigger with Hughes and Epstein Barr was high on the list.

• I strongly believe the "on off switches" associated with our DNA are involved...how this 'translates' to scientific language is beyond me

• Please don't take my comments as too negative - I have been involved with research at work (non-medical, but safety critical) and this looks familiar.

22 million US sufferers of Auto-Immune diseases and they tested 24 of one type and 31 of another?

And only came up with "Our findings support the hypothesis that L1 retroelements, perhaps along with other virus-derived genomic elements, may contribute to the development of autoimmune disorders characterized by high levels of type 1 interferon,” said Crow. “Although it may not be the only cause, it’s intriguing to think that virus-derived elements in our own genome are either quiet and don’t cause any trouble, or they get stirred up and contribute to disease.”

Which I translate as "it might support the theory" and they need to do more testing to investigate. Researchers always say things like this - 'maybe' and 'could indicate' and 'we recommend more tests'.

It's a step, but hardly the missing link.

• As you say it's a step and at least they are trying. Without any research where would we be?

• Quite, but when's the next research? And why such a small number of participants. It's so frustrating. It opens up so many questions too - is this applicable to all auto-immune diseases or just the two they sampled?

Fingers crossed that they get the funding to do the next phase...

• Research is on going all the time. just a few years ago you would get the number of papers a year under 20. Now they come in in the hundreds! They may be small studies but they all add to the knowledge and the general picture that is being built up. Frustrating I know but then so is the cure for Parkinsons considering the first drugs became available for that disease over 50 years ago! Unfortunately research requires money and everyone is fighting for it from a very small pot, unless of course you have an extremely wealthy benefactor or huge organization funding you like Bill Gates!!

You may also like...