Another Reason to Consider Going Gluten Free if You Have Autoimmune Thyroid Disease

Another Reason to Consider Going Gluten Free if You Have Autoimmune Thyroid Disease

An interesting article in this months Celiac UK magazine about a couple of studies again connecting Thyroid and Celiac Disease. As we already know Hughes Syndrome (APS) often comes with other autoimmune conditions and in particular as a trio with autoimmune Thyroid Disease and Sjogrens Syndrome.

Prof Hughes and Khamashta advocate a Gluten Free "Diet", although I call it "life" and have found that since I have cut it out I react very badly to it very quickly if I get contaminated with any gluten.

I dont know if there is any relevance but since going GF my "seronegative" blood results are now starting to become positive, probably a coincidence but I read something somewhere that there was a connection but now can't find it :-(

Anyway enjoy the article its very interesting.

coeliac.org.uk/node/255517?...

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Wow I followed the link and read and read and read.

I am so far cutting down, albeit slowly. Professor Hughes thought tests were not fool proof asking me think he thought a test would be unhelpful. However I realise you must not give it up for 6 weeks before testing. Dilemma.

My biggest worry is not now cutting down or even giving up it is the fact that they say if you a gluten free a crumb becomes a danger. That makes life really hard as family would be unable to avoid crumbs as it were.

I guess I'm just whittling as I really don't know which way to turn as my only issue is constipation and occasional bloating and wind. I do have anaemia but I assume because I can't tolerate iron.

• I am not allergic to gluten, I am intolerant so just avoid it totally... it has reduced almost totally my need to take allergy pills. I have been totally gluten free since August apart from two mistakes .. which made me feel the usual itch and sneeze, but nothing significant, however it is something I shall continue to do. Having read widely on the subject gluten and autoimmune disease does not go very well together, my own personal view on this, after rather a lot of reading. Great article.

Mary F x

• I wonder if the same applies to warfarin dose. Since I have been on a gluten free diet I have needed less warfarin.

I certainly feel a heap better being gluten free

• I would love to know what allergy symptoms others get to gluten, mine are sneezing, itching, bloating & foggy head.

I am off to see Proff McHugh In the morning so I am hoping he will shed some light on my vast array of symptoms.

Thanks Aps this is of interest to me & very good reading, i have had a scan on my thyroid & told it is now very small.

Jillymo x

• If I consume gluten, ( and I would never presume to think that others do not react differently,) the bloating and gas can be inconvenient, but I have never elevated that experience in my mind to the word " danger."

Gluten is a tricky thing. You know how the nutritional info on a bag of bread will give you the protein content? Thats the gluten -- a protein. The misleading label though certainly implies that you are absorbing that protein. You're not. Gluten the protein evolved (we think) during the Ice Ages which came and went across Northern Europe. Those plants which developed it were able to create seeds which could still germinate even after those long, long, cold winters -- or years. That protein -- gluten -- is so strong its why we are able to make pie crusts and such. Even glue. Its very, very strong. Thing is -- gluten is so strong its the undigestible protein. Nobody digests gluten. Nobody. (Human that is.) It hangs around in our gut until eliminated. In some people though, due to genetic and or environmental causes, the gluten's constant annoying presence begins to irritate and inflame those little absorbing bumps in the small intestine. The bumps become so inflamed that they no longer form a smart barrior between stuff your body wants to absorb and stuff your body doesn't want to absorb: "Leaky Gut Syndrome." The irritation and inflammation continue until your small intestine, which is supposed to rsemble a roll of shag carpet, begins instead to resemble a smooth PVC pipe. A lot of nutrients then are not absorbed. You eat them, but they don't get absorbed.

When I was a kid and my anemia was first discovered I was given these horrid spoonfulls of brown iron stuff to swallow. I downed them but they remain in my memory the most foul tasting stuf I have ever tasted. Blood tests showed, however, the stuff did no good. I remained aneemic. I was only 4 at the time so my understanding of what became divorce dynamics between my Mom and my physician Father suggested to me that somehow my inability to digest -- which my 4 year old mind interpreted as "enjoy-- that horrid brown goo in the teaspoon -- was responsible for my Father leaving. Only as an adult, after I was finally diagnosed with Celiac, did I find out that my Father, quite rightly suspected Celiac and my loving, but self-absorbed Mother, saw this "made up" diagnosis as a way to make her life misereable.

As the leaky gut body absorbs stuff that is not only not useful, but can be harmful, you (logically) develop various allergies and autoimmune issues.

So I look back on the chance which was missed to perhaps NOT develop Hughes, and lupus, and all those drug allergies which makes even the simpliest of procedures very risky, and I wish that diagnosis in 1959 had stuck. I try not to be bitter. I try. And both my parents have passed now.

But if I have taken up huge amounts of space explaining the benefits of a GF diet on your posts I suppose its because part of me is still trying to work through that missed opportunity for health in my life.

Dr. Hughes suggests you try a GF diet.

Why not?

What have you really got to lose?

• Thanks for taking the time to write this, not too long - a really informative summary!

• Thank you APsnotFab for your interesting article and you Gina for your informative and personal view on a subject close to living with APS without too much trouble.

Kerstin

You may also like...