Petition for Free Prescriptions for those with Chronic Conditions

Please Help by signing the Prescription Charges Coalition Petition

Freeze the cost of prescriptions – please sign our petition now!

The Prescription Charges Coalition, of which the charity I am a Trustee of, has been campaigning for a number of years for prescriptions to be made free to people with all long term medical conditions.

In September 2010, the Government stated that they would not introduce free prescriptions but would look at ways to introduce ‘more fairness’ in the system.

We believe the Government has an opportunity to do more to help people with long term conditions who are struggling to afford their medicines in the current difficult economic climate.

This is why the Prescription Charges Coalition is now calling on the Government to freeze the cost of prescriptions until the end of the Parliament.

As many people with long term conditions use Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPCs) to spread the cost of their medicines and save money, the Prescription Charges Coalition is also calling for the Government to continue last year’s freeze on the cost of PPCs until the end of the Parliament.

Finally, we want the Government to work towards making prescriptions free for people with long term medical conditions in the future.

I hope you can help by signing the Prescription Charges Coalition's e-petition:

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/25087.

You can also help spread the word by asking your friends to do the same. I am sure that many of you are affected by the cost of prescriptions and would benefit if these changes were adopted. Thanks.

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • done

• As a matter of interest does anticoagulation medication like warfarin come under one of the conditions for exempt charges for prescriptions?

• Done :)

As far as I,am aware Warfarin is not excempt, or hope not as I have been on it for 16 years!

• Done.

Warfarin is chargeable, Plaquenil, gabapentin,, it all adds up and I have to have it!

I dont like taking medication and until APS I hardly ever had anything, its a bit of a shock when you have to go and pay for this stuff!

I do an annual pre payment thingy which does save a bit but it does annoy me when Scotland get free prescriptions for everything life long or not! I think Wales is also free?

I doubt it will do any good but I signed it.

Cheers

Garry

• I will definately sign this.

Makes me so angry that I have been on asthma medication all my life and I have to pay. I am now on Heparin as well. I cannot be without either of these medications.

My husband, on the other hand, has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and now gets ALL his prescriptions free.

It would be much fairer if people with life saving medication had these prescribed free of charge but had to pay for any subsequent meds., i.e course of antibiotics. No brainer isn' it?

• We are all Blessed here in Wales all scripts are free even if you work

Good luck with your fight x

• Done

• Signed and shared on Facebook.

I am "lucky" to have a thyroid problem so get my prescriptions free, I cannot understand why they cannot be free for all people who need long term medication.

It used to annoy me very much having to pay so much for warfarin when the tablets cost pence.

• I'm in Scotland and all prescriptions are free...but I don't think it is 100% a good thing...maybe a token payment? I agree £7 or whatever is too much...

Also I think GPs here need to catch up with the fact they are free...and realise they don't need to prescribe the maximum on one prescription anymore ...I agree life time things like Warfarin etc are different!

I have a cupboard full of medications...all going off...some examples...

I was given 28 days supply (84 tablets) of dicolfenac when I hurt my back .. if I had needed them for more than a week I would have been back asking for an x-ray! Even though my back 'went' again a couple of times (fine now almost 2 yrs - touch wood) I still have 60 tablets all past their use by date....(actually I would have paid for that one!)

I can see it was better to have the drugs than to return to GP every time (although I did go back and get physiotherapy and turned down more drugs!) - but surely that is what repeat prescriptions or telephone consultations are for...

Probably the worst is my oral morphine - I was discharged from hopsital (mystery pain) with 7 days worth and told to visit GP within that time - at the visit I was told to return in 3 days if no improvement (still needed the morphine!) or go back to hospital if it got worse - but was given a 3 week supply of morphine ...I used less than a fifth of the bottle! Also even though they weren't certain if it was needed or not - 2 months supply of lanspranole - which I took for 2 weeks! And more cocodamol...

I have mountains (300 tablets!) of cocodamol - from my back and my partner had knee surgery/dental problems ...next time I WILL remember to say I don't need any more!!

I was on aspirin for years - cost less than £2 per month so cheaper to buy over the counter then pay prescription charge - when free prescriptions came in the assistant at the pharmacy told me I should get it on prescription now!

Now on clopidigrel - but had a dodgy kidney function test - GP suggested it might be the clopidigrel and I might have to stop taking it - after retesting etc which would take just under a month - but he still gave me 2 months supply!

I need to take some dugs back to the chemist for disposal - but I'm too embarrassed!!! What a waste!

• I can't remember the figures but I did see it somewhere the actual cost to the NHS of wasted drugs. Most is for people who are given medication and just don't bother to take it which is not quite the same as you have described above. I too have taken loads back to my chemist and most of these have been from bad reactions. My GP now knows to only give me a small amount as a trial to see how I get on.

So often it is the patient that is blamed for wastage but actually I think GP's, Hospital Doc's and Chemists would do better to be educated on the prescribing of drugs. As is often the case it is the behaviour of the few that spoils it for the rest. The people that have chronic conditions are those that are more educated about their medications and could therefore educate the medics about prescribing and actually save them money in the long run.

• That's my point about a token payment - people are more likely to take the medication if they have paid for it...

A bit like recent discussions about charging a nominal amount for mosquito nets etc in third world countries - if something is free people don't value it as much - and so are less likely to use it etc...

• Not sure I totally follow that logic. If I pay for a medicine but I am allergic to it or I simply don't need it because I am better and I have been prescribed too much, I will not take it for the sake of it no matter what I spent on it.

What we need is responsible prescribing and sensible dispensing. A sensible conversation with the patient about quantities would be a start and for those with chronic conditions they know only too well what medication they need so wastage is not going to be an issue.

• Thank You to everyone that signed. x

• For those in Wales and Scotland who get 'free' prescriptions you have to remember that the budgets are still the same so other areas of healthcare have to be cut to pay for it.

If the playing field was level i.e. all on necessary 'Life Saving' meds got free scripts and everything else a charge it would be farer.

I agree with the comment on wastage, it is difficult though as I have had numerous prescriptions for drugs and then found out I am allergic so complete waste of the rest of the pack!

• I will certainly sign for free prescriptions in England. I will be taking medicines for the rest of my life and I have now reached the magic age that means I no longer have to pay. However, I can honestly say that I resented having to pay for prescriptions when if I lived in Scotland or Wales my medicine would have been free.

You may also like...