Son showing autistic traits

I am very worried about my 13yr old son. He doesn't seem to have any close friends at school, he wanders around on his own. He has suffered from chronic constipation since he was little. He is excelling at school in al subjects, he knows everything about dinosaurs, have a good general knowledge, can reel off a load of acts about things, particularly wildlife. He can stutter when he starts to speak like he's desperate to get out what he wants to say. He can come out with inappropriate comments, almost blunt rather than offensive, and can be very selfish (things have to be done his way). He often drifts off into his own world and stares vacantly. He rarely shows any emotion, a hug seems like a chore to him, it feels like it's something he thinks he's meant to do but doesn't actually want to really. At home, remembering basic tasks are the biggest issue which is so frustrating for me, but I'm sure it is for him too. I have to remind him of the same things every day and have done for years.

I rang the doctor for a consultation, after I reeled off most of the above I was told 'I don't understand what your problem is.' This has left me scared to contact anyone else. I really feel he does show autistic traits but I'm not being listened to which is breaking me. Any advice? I would be unbelievably grateful.

12 Replies

• Hi,

Your son shows blatant signs of Asbergers. The bluntness, lack of Social Skills, limited friends, mini professor , constipation, it can alternate. Unfortunately most GPs are clueless. Demand to be referred to CAMHS. Make sure you have all your evidence and they follow the NICE guidelines for diagnosing Asbergers. Look at my previous postings there is masses of information as to issues and also look at family tree who has what on the Co morbid.

Autism Iniative have quite a good confidential phone line about getting help. Best are these sites, Contact a family , sites like those.

An excellent article by a blogger called PlanetAutism . There is loads of information on her website.

Make sure you get the school on your side. You need to get the ball rolling to get the support he needs. Anxiety is one of the biggest issues.

Good Luck xx

• Thank you for your reply, the information is really helpful and much appreciated.

• Delighted I could help. xx

Parents are 95% correct.

• Forgot to mention he may also have ADD. My youngest has that as well. You may want to check out the British Dyslexia Website, all Co morbid Conditions . Dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia , a lot of the issues overlap. I have all three , recently diagnosed. I have recently found out I have Irlen Syndrome .

It's a jigsaw puzzle and it's normally the parents who solve it not the proffesionals , Clueless. I am now trying to get my boys diagnosed with Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome. PDA. Not formally recognised yet, been trying since the 80s to do so. One day seems a long way off at present. They don't understand Autism never mind PDA.

• Thank you for this info, I will bear it in mind.

• Hi mumbilly,

Good advice above from Yiman, can't really add to it apart from maybe speak to somebody at the National Autistic Society for advice as well...

Don't be put off by your initial contact with the GP. Ask for a second opinion, I've done this myself on occasion when I think the doctor has been a bit flippant. I showed your post to my wife and she said, "I wouldn't stand for that!"

From what you have said above it sounds likely that your son is on the spectrum. Our son has and ASD diagnosis and shows many of the traits you describe.

• Thank you for your reply, I feel more positive about moving forward, thank you.

• No problem, hope you get it all sorted.

My boys both have speech issues. Another failure to spot AS.

• Your son sounds exactly like my son who is 27 now. Definately go back to the GP and voice your concerns but make an appointment and speak face to face. Insist to be referred for a diagnosis. my son was looked at via his school when he was about 8 but did not have all the necessary markers to be officially diagnosed. it took a lot of hard work and repeated visits to his GP but he finally was referred for an official diagnosis when he was about 24 after repeated failures at employment.

Wishing you good luck in helping your son.

• Thank you for your advice.

• Definitely go back to your GP and demand a referral. Tell them you have sought advice from the National Autism Helpline etc. Don't be put off.