Pork chops in the slow cooker?: Hi all new... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

53,636 members9,873 posts

Pork chops in the slow cooker?

LifeisGolden profile image

Hi all new here.

I have read a lot of people saying that the best pork chops are the ones cooked in a slow cooker or crock pot ect and I wanted to try cooking mine in my crock pot but all the recipes use things I can't due to medical reasons and really I wanted a more plain recipe.

Would they still come out really soft / tender if I use stock cubes? ( Their home-made )

19 Replies

Hi LifeisGolden cooking meat slowly in a crock pot will tenderise it what you cook it in marinates it so I’d simplify the recipe and am sure it would be fine. Some people use a stock like bouillon and leave the chops soaking in this fir a few hours before cooking slowly in the crock pot.

Well done for joining us and asking a question I hope that you enjoy being a member of our friendly community.

Jerry 😊

LifeisGolden in reply to

Thank you , I do chicken breast in their with water do you think chops could do with just water or will that make it too bland?

in reply to LifeisGolden

I think you want a little salt with the water as this stops the meat from over cooking but as long as it’s cooked in plenty of water.

LifeisGolden in reply to

Thanks, I can't stand the taste of salt and I know I'll end up putting more in than I should and end up tasting it so I'll stick to the stock cubes idea

Thank you for your help

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi LifeisGolden

I did post a link to a recipe, but then realised I'd mis-read your post, and my link was to a lamb recipe and not a pork one. So that's why I deleted it!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your pork chops cooked in the slow-cooker. I love slow-cooked food, it's so tasty.

Zest :-)

LifeisGolden in reply to Zest

Thank you, my love affair with the slow cooker started when I was told by a friend to try doing my whole chicken in the slow cooker as it's the best and I brought one just to try a whole chicken in it and oh was she right it was delicious and the most tender chicken I'd ever eaten and since then I've been cooking all my chicken in their among other things but for some reason I never thought to cook pork chops or other meats in it.

I've even brought a bigger one recently so it fits a turkey in as we're going to cook our Turkey in their this year.

Just read the slow cooker section and found Jerry's post about making pizza in a slow cooker so that will be going on the list of to try recipes.

Since using the crock pot I've hardly used my oven mainly using my crock pot and microwave

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to LifeisGolden

Hi LifeisGolden

I've not tried doing a whole chicken in there yet, but now you've mentioned how much you enjoyed it - I am going to definitely consider trying it!

LifeisGolden in reply to Zest

I put lots of butter on it and it makes it really tender but I think it would be tender without the butter I'm just used to putting butter on my chicken it's the one meal I don't calorie count as hay it's a Sunday😜

Lean protein isn't good for us anyway. It can quickly lead to fat-soluble vitamin deficiency, 'rabbit starvation', and causes adverse rises in insulin; hyperinsulinaemia underpins insulin-resistance.

Wanted to check I read your reply right so your saying putting butter on the chicken is a good thing as lean meats with no fat are bad?

Spot on. Not acknowledged by 'healthy eating' authorities, but check the insulin index from the University of Sydney, 2014 for instance.

Rabbit starvation is also known as protein poisoning.

The Weston A Price Foundation discourse on lean protein depleting the liver/body of fat-soluble vitamins.

Thank you , I never listened when they said eggs or butter or full fat dairy was bad I ignored the light versions and stuck to real food , unfortunately I can't have dairy anymore I'm allergic to dairy now

I'm sorry to hear that, but even vegans can be healthy with nuts, seeds, olives, avocado and coconut.

Removing fat from dairy is contributing to chronic ill-health. In the aforementioned insulin index it can be seen that for the same amount of calories, skimmed-milk demands two and a half times the amount of insulin required by whole-milk.

I have full fat coconut milk and occasionally whole oatly, I also have avocado everyday with eggs and sausage made from 99% pork sausage with very few ingredients, I don't like nuts and the only seeds I like is chia seeds and pumpkin seeds but I have a lot of other sources too as I said above lean meats like chicken I add butter and when I pick beef or pork I go for cuts with some fat on them

I also add fat to lean fish like cod , sea bass ect but I do prefer tuna, salmon and makrell ect

Zest profile image

Hi LifeisGolden

I've decided to try the whole chicken in the slow-cooker today - I've put a fairly large one in, and put butter under the skin, as well as some paprika sprinkled on top. I've put a layer of veggies (potatoes and leeks) under the chicken, and I'm cooking it on 'Low' for about 8 to 9 hours. I noticed a recipe online suggested a large chicken could be cooked that way on 'Low' for 5 hours, but I wanted to give it extra time, to ensure that it's cooked properly - can I ask you how long you usually cook it for?

Many thanks,

p.s. I'm looking forward to trying it for dinner this evening. :-)

Hi there LifeisGolden. I prefer to cook pork in a slow cooker as it does come out tasty and tender. Some cuts of pork can be dry and tough but the slow cooker will sort out that little problem. It will work fine with your stock cubes. I cook all types of meat in my slow cooker. As I am not restricted in what I am able to eat, I usually brown the meat in a frying pan first and then put It in the slow cooker. Then I add some chunks of carrot, onion and celery to help flavour the gravy and finally add some gravy made with good quality gravy granules. However, just using plain water or your stock cubes will give the result you want. Good luck with your pork chops.

Yes of course just using stock cubes will be fine.

Which one do you all think would be more tender? Pork chops or pork shoulder steaks?

Pork shoulder steaks look like they would be more tender? I know both will be in a slow cooker but which do you think will be that bit more softer?

Zest profile image

Hi LifeisGolden I don't know the answer to your query, but I really hope that your meal turns out well, when you do it. I am hoping you'll let us know what it is like, and how it goes.

You may also like...