Light supper.: Long gourd with a Chinese yam... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

53,637 members β€’ 9,873 posts

Light supper.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’26 Replies

Long gourd with a Chinese yam and orange sweet potato filling..delicious with a little sweet chilli sauce.

Boil the yam until nearly cooked and add the sweet potato..cook and drain.. mash with a little salt and pepper. Fry in a little olive oil.. prefect. 😊

26 Replies
β€’

A very delicious vegetable..will be a permanent veg growing in our garden πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Snake gourd.

Wow!!!!This grows in your garden,

What other veggies do you have?

Not very much in the way of vegetables at the moment, we just replanted some long beans, cucumber aubergine, and potatoes..we mostly got a lot of different varieties of herbs and fruit trees and there's not much on the fruit trees at the moment either, there's lots of limes, lemons and Pomelo on the trees though..and the mulberries doing good, so are some of the very sour fruits that we like..that I can never remember their name. I cut down the last of the papaya yesterday.

Lots more to plant this week..all been well.😊

Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator

Hi Happyman4,

Your light supper sounds and looks delicious. My favorite type of potato is the sweet potato. :-) Do you have leftovers for another night/meal? :-)

No leftovers with the filling, but I have many of the gourds growing and can make more of the same filling as I still got more of the ingredients, just thought I'd try this one out first, and it was really lovely. I'd like to try different fillings every day if I can.. am really very pleased with today's one, so I will definitely be making it again. I'd like to put more nutritions and protein in as well as flavour...it gives me something to do that I really enjoy 😁

Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator in reply to Happyman4

Sounds good with wanting to try new ideas with different fillings/flavors. It's nice to try new versions of certain foods/meals/favorites. This is what we do here with the quiches that we have at least once a week. :-)

I like your quiche with the rice, I tried to make it and I got more on my hands then in the tray so j gave up and didn't make it..now I got quiche on my mind, I think I will just stick to a simple pastry next time 😊

Hey these look delicious Happyman4 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to

They were really very tasty and I will definitely be cooking them again, 😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi Happyman4

That looks delicious, and great to see the photo of the snake gourd as well. Very colourful.

Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest, I loved them, it's a very nice feeling when something you cooked turns out so good 😊

That looks spectacular, and I love the photo of the gourds too. Thank you so much for sharing,I am learning so much from discovering all these new foods that I just didn’t know about. I love food (too much!) and can’t believe I was totally ignorant of these foods.

Cooking with this variety of gourd is a new experience for me as I only eaten them boiled when they are small, because that is the only way they are sold..growing them for the first time has given me the chance to try something when they are fully grown...and I really love them..they can be used in many different dishes. Food to me is so interesting...😊

Food is so interesting to me too, and I’m so glad I found this group where we talk about food and I learn about all these ingredients that are new to me.

Am glad you found this group to HungryHufflepuff πŸ˜‡πŸ‘

Your meal looks delicious happyman, especially the sweet chilli sauce πŸ˜‹ Your garden is amazing. The snake gourd looks fab. When will that be ready to eat? Your hard work pays off happyman as you get to enjoy delicious self produced fruit and veg 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

There perfect to eat from when they are tiny to becoming giants, as long as their still green, you can't eat them once they turn to orange because the inside becomes very soft, i left some on vine to change colour and get the seeds....but I didn't have to do that because when they get big and still green the seeds are re-plantable..I planted some new seeds today.😊

All your meals look delicious even the ones on vegan food forum. I read your post on there as well delicious meals put together by you πŸ‘

Happyman4 profile image

Thank you Zara, I must admit that some of my meals do turnout to be pretty amazing 😁The chickpea and black bean masala I made today would be today's special in any of the finest Indian restaurants..😊

I had a small bowl left from this morning and am very much enjoying in now at room temperature with a couple of Malaysian roti canai..

I didn't know you was on the vegan forum. Did you know that there is now over 4 million vegans in the UK alone..

My meal I put on there today was very nutritious as well as super tasty.πŸ˜πŸ‘

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

I've not joint but I follow you so I can go on and view your post. But I'm not a member so can't like your post. The chick peas and black bean masala looked delicious. Worth praising happyman πŸ‘πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Zara0123 profile image

Did you make the sweet chilli sauce happyman? We have the shop bought ones here but I find them too sweet. I like KFC's sweet chilli sauce but they only sell the small tubs for one use with their meals.

Happyman4 profile image

This one in the picture my wife made it, it will keep in the fridge for about a week. She quite good at making sauces and pastes for different dishes..

Zara0123 profile image

Please will you share the recipe with me when you get a chance, no rush. If you forget I'll remind you again. Maybe in the near future I will make my own 😊

Happyman4 profile image

Am sure the next time she makes it I will make a note of it and share..really no problem at all 😁

Zara0123 profile image

Thanks πŸ‘

You may also like...