Calamondin orange. : Or otherwise known as... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

53,146 members β€’ 9,757 posts

Calamondin orange.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’23 Replies

Or otherwise known as Philippine queen of limes.

It has the most unique flavour and is my most favoured juice for making a very refreshing drink..just one of these will change a glass of soda water with ice into an amazing refreshing drink...in a hot climate like Thailand there's no other drink like it...I keep 7 of these little trees in pots and its still not enough ..am hoping to fine a few more nice ones tomorrow in the weekend flower market πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

23 Replies
β€’

I love to pick there little beauty's when I walk round the garden, no need to peel them just eat them with the skin on..lovely πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Kumquats
Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Happyman4

These are about the size of a grapefruit and are a cross of a lemon and Pomelo..in Thailand they are often referred to as lemon gold. I like to eat them as you would an orange and like to add them in salads.

I pick the ripe one and enjoyed some of it with a little bit of salt this afternoon πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Lemon Pomelo.
Happyman4 profile image

Very sour and normally picked when young and eaten with a chilly sauce or they are pickled.. I like them when they're old and fall off the tree...they are very fibrous mostly and the skin is very tough, but there's a little between the two that is very delicious that i love as it is or added to a salad. You can also add it to drinks πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Otatheite apple/plum
Happyman4 profile image

This the first year it's actually managed to keep the fruit on since I planted the tree 5 years ago..It's a very sweet fruit and it's very delicious but can only eat about a half of one when there fully ripe..πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Sapodilla.
Happyman4 profile image

I took all the photos today, there's a few more nice ones of starfruit and jasmine that I use to add to my jasmine tea.I love my plants and trees as you can see.

Hope that those of you that seen my post would of enjoyed them..πŸ₯°

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

Hello happyman the lemon Pomelo look like lemons but they must not be as sour as lemons if you eat them.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

Your right Zara, it's much more lemon then Pomelo, but they are milder then the lemons that are popular for cooking and salads..I do use them for salads sometimes and eat small pieces with a little salt, but I just like looking at them on the tree mostly..the colour is very beautiful. Thais like to pick the mangos before their ripe and eat them with a spicy sugar..but I much prefer my wife buys them and leave ours on the trees for as long as possible as I love seeing them changing colours 😊

Zara0123 profile image

I know what you mean. It must be lovely seeing all this fruit grow in your garden 🌴

Happyman4 profile image

It is, it really is a wonderful feeling..and one that gives me so much pleasure. 😁

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Happyman4

When we moved to Florida, kumquat bushes were everywhere. Sweet/sour. Too sour for me as a child, but probably just right for me now. Makes me wonder if they are around anymore…..they weren’t cultivated, just wild. The oranges might just like the weather in Florida, too. They may already be here. Your drink sounds so good….

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Isinatra

I was reading up on Florida out of interest about 20 months ago when some family members moved there from California..it dose seem the weather there is great for growing oranges as they grow a lot.. the kumquats as with all the citrus fruits will seed themselves wherever they can..the seeds grow so easily given the right environment..my garden would be overrun with them if I didn't pull the seedlings out. I didn't like the kumquats when I was younger either..I tried them when they first got imported to England and couldn't believe that people were making a fuss over how good they were...now I love them. I suspect many people's taste changes with getting older.

When I was reading up.on the Calamondin orange and one of articles mentioned that it was very popular for making drinks for its unique flavour, I thought why did it take me so long to find out..

Hope you enjoyed the little trip round the garden Isinatra πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Happyman4

I certainly did, Happyman. 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Isinatra

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘X

The Otatheite apple/plum sound nice to pickle and eat πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

I quite like them picked, but then I like everything picked, the ones we grow are just eaten with a spicy chilly sauce or a spicy sugar. It's producers fruit all year round and it's nice to look at 😊

Your garden and all the lovely fruits grow in it sound delicious. I've not heard or seen these fruits in the UK so its really interesting seeing them on HE. Thank you for sharing with us happyman

Happyman4 profile image

My pleasure Zara 😊

Zara0123 profile image

😊

I loved seeing these photos, thank you so much for sharing. The kumquats look wonderful, well all the fruits do, but kumquats are a favourite and I’ve never seen them on the tree before. I really enjoyed the tour of your trees 😊

Thank you HungryHufflepuff for taking the time to look round my garden 😊At the end of this month we will be able to travel inside Thailand without qurentin, so we can start planting fruit trees on land I bought a few years ago...it will change our lives πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

That’s great news, hopefully it means the situation is improving in Thailand too. Enjoy planting your trees 😊

Hi Happyman, you continue to broaden my knowledge with your photos of fruit - species I’ve never seen or heard of before. Your garden must be an amazing wonderland for healthy eating!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to PandQs

It's a pleasure showing them PandQs, there is so much more that I have collected over the years that is thriving in my garden..it's amazing what you can do with a bit of hard work and imagination πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

You may also like...