Sprouting coconut. : I took the husk of you... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,986 members β€’ 9,793 posts

Sprouting coconut.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’76 Replies

I took the husk of you can see what it looks like inside when roots start coming through the husk to take root into the ground.

This one is homegrown..we like to leave some on the ground where they fallen to sprout and then eat the inside...I will attach two more photos as it will show more clearly what it looks like.

Hope you find it interesting. 😊

76 Replies
β€’

Once cut open it shows the beautiful delicious seed...really worth waiting for.

Water turns into seed
Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Happyman4

A closer look when you open the spongy sweet watery seed.. absolutely beautiful.

Very very tasty.

Oh my goodness, how beautiful, would love to try this. Guess the closest I got was drinking the fresh coconut milk whilst in the far east.

Thank you kitchengardener, it's such a beautiful sight when you open one up and see it's full. Really very nice 😊

Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator

Thank you for sharing this sprouting coconut with us. I never saw a coconut in its sprouting stage.πŸ₯₯πŸ˜€πŸ‘

It does look beautiful, and the delicious seed is a very interesting part of it that most people would never seen..so I thought it would be nice to share it..😊

Activity2004Administrator in reply to Happyman4

Can the seeds grow if you plant them during the Summer for the next season?πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ₯₯

They will grow all year round..I have quite a few that have already taken root in the ground and pots, that are just for eating the seed inside...we already have enough coconut trees.There's a few that I will make into ornament potted coconut trees when I have the the time ..they look very beautiful..I will see if I can find something on the internet to show you what it looks like.

Activity2004Administrator in reply to Happyman4

How big are they in the pots?

Not very big, you can keep them as indoor plants. The only ones am keeping to grow into trees are very special as they don't have water inside..only a very thick cream.

Happyman that is the creepiest thing that I have ever seen outside of Halloween in Camden πŸ˜‚interesting thoughπŸ‘Œ

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to BTCCET

And that was it's nice side..😁

BTCCET profile image
BTCCET in reply to Happyman4

eeww πŸ™ˆ

Happyman4 profile image

πŸ˜πŸ˜‡

BTCCET profile image

I ain't looking no more in case you show its nasty side😱

Happyman4 profile image

I wouldn't do that! πŸ€₯

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to BTCCET

πŸ’€β˜  when you thought skulls are scary then realise πŸ₯₯ are πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

Should of been coconut and crossed bones really, far more scary 😁

It does look strange happyman. A bit Halloweeny. But I'm sure it tastes delicious. I've never seen a coconut like that. Why is it different to the normal ones that have coconut water inside?

Happyman4 profile image

This is a normal one that sprouted to make a new tree...looks a bit scary but it's what they look like πŸ™„

That makes sense. The normal coconuts are different as they grow on trees and are ready to eat. I've never seen a coconut with sprouts. Thank you for sharing with us.

Happyman4 profile image

My pleasure Zara, I hope you and BTCCET dont have night mares πŸ˜πŸ˜‡

BTCCET profile image

Might have nightmares but don't think it will put me off anything coconutie (that's not a word is it) πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

Yes, I think coconutie is an excellent word, I was thinking of that myself when trying to describe the taste of the spongy seed..😁

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

No won't put me off my chocolate Bounty πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

Am sure it won't 😁, it's about the only thing I will still buy from time to time. We make some very nice toasted coconut fritters with freshly grated coconut..might make some today 😊

Lol Your first pic was definitely spooky looking. Glad the others looked anything BUT spooky! Now THATS a coconut!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Isinatra

It does look a bit funny looking, perhaps I should have put my baby's daughters sunglasses on it 😁

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to Happyman4

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Dear Happyman4,

Very interesting indeed, I've Never Seen This but I Have had Peanuts (Groundnuts) start to 'sprout', on the Vegetable Patch- we Used to have.

Equally, some years back now, someone 'Stabilised' some Sticks, in earth, one Christmas Time. These Sticks were then Spray Painted, Red & Green, and Baubles were hung from them.... thus, they remained all Christmas. When the Pots were emptied....the 'Sticks' had ROOTS!

Carrot 'Tops' can grow, so can Potato 'Eyes'....Break Off, a piece off Gooseberry, or Lavender, put it Damp Earth.... you have another plant! (Not 100% reliable but it Does often 'work')

Then there is thee Sycamore Tree- I think almost Every One, on those 'Helicopters', will grow!

Isn't Nature Wonderful?

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

AndrrewT

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to AndrewT

Yes Andrew, you said it right...a 100% right. Nature is a wonderful thing..πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

That's really interesting Happyman, thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

My pleasure springcross, it really is interesting and very tasty 😊Am making some coconut fritters with the meat and a coconut topping for a few Manchester tarts. All fun in the kitchen today 😁

Yum, sounds good. πŸ˜‹

Just finished they Manchester tarts, there on promotion if your interested 😁

Count me in. πŸ™‚

I will trust you to just take two okay 😁

Manchester tarts.
MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Happyman4

They look absolutely delicious! Sorry but two wouldn't be enough for me 😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to MadBunny

😊two is not enough for me to.. I had one already and when you bite into the strawberry jam inside you really lost for a while in pure bliss πŸ˜‡

MadBunny profile image

Oh don't, please😟 Not when I'm about to have my muesli for breakfast 😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to MadBunny

Okay, πŸ˜πŸ˜‡

MadBunny profile image

😁

OK, if we're being rationed! πŸ˜†

I knew you was a gooden πŸ˜πŸ‘

πŸ˜†

Wow, firstly as a gardener, I find this so very interesting. Thank you for sharing with us. In our haste to eat fruit, we do sometimes forget that the fruit carries the seed. Will this planted and allowed to grow?

No this one is just for eating, I have all the coconut trees I need. I just leave these ones where the fell from the tree until they sprout so we can eat them like this ..it's nice to have something different 😊

Wow! I found that amazing. I've often wondered how a coconut grew, Now I know! Thank you so much for posting it!

Cheers, Midori

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Midori

Welcome Midori, 😊

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey this is really interesting Happyman4 and I bet they make great houseplants so nice one and you enjoy your home grown coconuts, πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

I thought the members would find it interesting, am always fascinated when i see them started to sprouts and i love to eat the delicious inside πŸ™‚

Hi,I am absolutely fascinated! Being a keen gardener,I really loved your post, thank you! It’s obvious you live in much warmer climes than me in beautiful Wales, UK. Thank you so much for sharing this. Where do you live?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to BPlady

Absolutel pleasure to share with you BPlady, Having visited Wales many time k know how beautiful it is..πŸ˜šπŸ‘

Even though it looks unique I'm sure it got top marks for taste nonetheless. Thnxs for sharing

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

I been waiting for sometime for them to get like this, really worth waiting for😊

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star

Thats really interesting Happyman4, and it looks so fresh and delcious

Thank you Kitten whiskers, I was hoping that you find it interesting, and it really is very delicious 😊

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star in reply to Happyman4

Very much so 😁 I had not seen that before , it does look so fresh and delicious

Looks heavenly is the flesh soft or hard ? ☺️

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

Hi Hiba, hope your feeling a bit better today. It's soft and full of coconut water..but it's still firm and has a very nice texture to it.😊 it just melts in your mouth releasing all the water in it.. very refreshing 😊

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Happyman4

Hello happy man I’m feeling wonderful ☺️. That’s amazing I want to eat it now 😁 I love coconut

Happyman4 profile image

Next time I open one up I will save you some πŸ˜‡Am going to make some more coconut fritters later on and I will send you a few.πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Hb2003 profile image

Well thank you πŸ™β˜ΊοΈ

Happyman4 profile image

You know I wouldn't forget you..😁

Hb2003 profile image

Your very kind 😁 are coconut fritters easy to make ?

Happyman4 profile image

Yes there very simple, really I should have said toasted coconut fritters, it's just shredded fresh coconut with a little corn starch or any other starch, with a little sugar mixed together and put on a dry not to hot pan...I like to use coconut flower syrup instead of sugar..we made quite a lot yesterday but they all gone in minutes..😊

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator

I'm curious what the middle bit tastes like? It looks really creamy!

Really interesting to see :)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Cooper27

It's like a ball of coconut water held in by a very delicate honeycomb that melts in your mouth.

Amazing. I never even knew about this. Thank you for telling us about this πŸ₯₯

I think amazing is the right word for it, and I enjoyed sharing it with everyone πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Wow! Where are you? I'm hoping this is possible to do here in the UK? how do you get it to sprout?

I live in Thailand, so it's perfect weather for growing coconut trees. I just leave them where they fall down when really...and they grow on there own.

I've been looking on YouTube and there are many videos on how to grow shop bought coconuts..there's just so many different ways of growing them..so read up on a few of them..they grow very well in pots.

Am sure you can grow them in the UK given you make the right environment for them.

There's some great tips in making them into house plants on YouTube as well..πŸ™‚

Ah! You are in the perfect place for growing Coconuts.

If anyone on here has had any success with growing Coconuts here in the UK, can you please say hi and tell me how you have managed to grow your Coconuts?

Thanks in advance to you all!

Colin.

πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

Absolutely beautiful, what a fabulous transformation to behold indeed. Thank-you so much for posting πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ₯°

My pleasure Poppy, am glad you liked it 😊

I would love to try the same, any special tips?😁😁😁

You may also like...