Beef stew.: Comfort food at it's best, I been... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,986 members β€’ 9,793 posts

Beef stew.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’63 Replies

Comfort food at it's best, I been wanting to make a stew for some time, but the supermarket that I used to buy the suet from to make dumplings had not had any in stock for a long time, so I got some on line..πŸ™‚

I started making it about 4am in my slow cooker and had a bowl for breakfast and this one in the photo was for a late lunch, I put some away in the fridge for tomorrow.

The advantages of not having made it for a long time is that you really appreciate this wonderful dish far more then what you can imagine.

Am happy now. 😊

63 Replies
β€’

I love a good stew Happyman, especially in the winter, I don't think you can beat it and yours looks yum. πŸ˜‹

I do miss a good winter springcross,😁 I can honestly say that the stew with my suet dumplings were absolutely delicious, perfect in every way.

I might put some sliced roasted potatoes on top with what I saved in the fridge for tomorrow, and have it for dinner tonight, 😊

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

Veg suet or beef suet? Either way it looks good. I lived on "stu and dumps" as a student.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

It was beef suet, I did see they had the veg suet as well, but I didn't know there was such a thing so I went for the one I know and very happy with. I used wholemeal self raising flour and some chopped spring onions salt and pepper in the dumplings...perfect πŸ™‚

happytulip profile image

As I remember there wasn't much difference in suet from veg. At the time I think I thought it might be healthier, but we know that certain research has been debunked. Either way, I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Midori profile image
Midori in reply to happytulip

I use both, beef suet for meat puddings and dumpers, and veg suet for puddings; Yes, I'm a picky old bird, but I like it that way!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Midori

Great Midori as we like you that why toπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Stew and dumplings- yummy! Reminds me of mums cooking when I was a child.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to MadBunny

Wonderful to have fond memories of mum's cooking, I know I have many of them. I bought the slow cooker mainly for making stews, specially the beef stew with dumplings. πŸ™‚

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Happyman4

Sadly she wasn't a great cook when it came to veg - slimy boiled greens- but her stew and dumplings were wonderful . She also made the most beautiful, melt in the mouth pastry and her apple pie was amazing!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to MadBunny

My friends mum's used to be the same when it come to the veg. Wonderful kind people that they were that would feed me as they did with their children..I was grateful though 😁You made my water with the thought of the apple pie...shame we weren't friends as kids😊

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Happyman4

She also used to make fantastic currant slices- pastry with a filling of dried currants,demerara sugar and butterπŸ˜‹

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to MadBunny

My Dad was terrible at cooking veg. He could turn a beautiful courgette into a waterlogged "snozcumber" like the stuff they eat in the BFG.

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to happytulip

Sounds just like my mum😁No veg was safe! And as for her using tinned peas and carrots ...,😱I blame her for me still not liking veg even at my age 😁

gasp1 profile image
gasp1 in reply to MadBunny

Tinned carrots are the work of the devil they always tasted bitter and soggy. Used to get them served with butter beans again from a tin but back then food was seasonal and we ate with the seasons which i think is wheee we go wrong alot of the time these days

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to gasp1

Yes I agree. I never buy tomatoes ,strawberries and raspberries out of season.

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to MadBunny

Pastries and Apple pies yummy πŸ˜‹

MadBunny profile image
MadBunny in reply to Zara0123

Yes. I really miss mums baking .

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to MadBunny

Especially with the sweet tooth we have, I can imagine πŸ€—

katwin profile image
katwin in reply to MadBunny

Maybe that's why I never liked vegetables as a kid, overcooked. But mums dundee fruit cake and apple and blackberry pie, were unbeatable! I also remember her stew made from neck of lamb with dumplings made with suet from the butcher; no vegetable suet in those days!

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey you can’t beat stew with dumplings Happyman4 and yours looks like it’s hits the mark πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry, if there's one thing that I cook really well, it has to be a good old English stew with lovely dumplings πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

In Algeria its called Jwaz very delicious πŸ˜‹ I love it

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

Jwaz sounds very nice Hiba 😊 you would have love this, I love it too 😊

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Happyman4

Whats in the dumplings ?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

Hi Hiba, I put a link on that shows you what they look like and how to make them. My photo doesn't really show them that well.They are very simple to make as you only need two ingredients, self raising flour and suet. Suet is a fat that traditionally comes from a cow..but you can make dumplings without suet, there is also now a vegetable suet but I just stick to the beef one.

google.com/url?sa=t&source=...

Have a look on YouTube for some recipes on it, and some of the recipes you can use them in...πŸ™‚

Oh yes,often add spices to my stews. I bought an Algerian mint plant yesterday and thought of you. Hope it thrives in UK.

Your stew looks really tasty happyman. Its cold here in the Midlands. Perfect weather for stew πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

You can't beat a good stew Zara, everything you need in one pot, how good is that 😊

Exactly less work and delicious food, can't go wrong happyman.

Its really good happyman by sharing your meals and the food you eat it gives us a change to try new things we've never had before 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

This forum is great for sharing ideas and to motivate you in been a bit creative, and ofcourse to try and eat a bit more healthy..some of the company is good too 😊

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

True πŸ˜‰ I agree with you

It looks great, I can’t wait for winter so I can start stews again. It’s just too warm at the moment.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Missy84

You can't beat a lovely stew on cold winters day 😊

Missy84 profile image
Missy84 in reply to Happyman4

I agree. I love a chicken casserole with dumpling. I sometimes add cheddar and parsley to the dumpling mix. It’s lovely

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Missy84

I had chicken casserole with dumplings on my mind today..I've made dumplings with a variety of different herbs but I haven't tried adding cheese to them, I think it will work well with the chicken casserole, I will give it a try with a few when i get round to making it. Thanks for the idea πŸ™‚

i love any casserole type dish,and using a slow cooker turns even the toughest of meats into something wonderful,you cannot go wrong.

Strongly agree with you there secrets. x

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to secrets22

I love casseroles to secrete, I used to make them a lot when I lived in the UK, there was a creamy chicken casserole I used love making and I completely forgot about it since I moved to Thailand, funny I was thinking about it today but can't remember what ingredients i used. I will have to look up on YouTube to see if there's anything there that will jog my memory πŸ€”

Oh yes comfort food, love our slow cooker and use it at least twice each week. Today we shall have Spainsh themed sausage and chorizo casserole. Mushrooms and peppers and chillies from the garden. Looking forward to dinner tonight now!!

😊 that sounds so good kitchengardener.

Smelling wonderful and spicy.

🀒

Are you not happy with my reply? Can't work emoji out but looks angry or sick?

Sorry kitchengardener.. I thought the emoji was to say am jealous..same like green with envy on your delicious food your cooking.

Ok forgiven πŸ˜…

Thank you πŸ˜‡

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

Emoji means holding in vomit. As in its sickening. Hope that clarifies things.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

I thought it meant green with envy 😁

Imaaan profile image

Now you know :)

Happyman4 profile image

We live and learn 😁

Imaaan profile image

All of us and hopefully everyday :)

Happyman4 profile image

So true πŸ™‚

Your stew looks yummy and is giving a vibe of a bowl that provides a soothing warm hug to your tummy

Happyman4 profile image

There is something about a tasty stew that is very warming, especially with those melt in your mouth dumplings. 😊

Imaaan profile image

Yup

happytulip profile image

What's the weather like out there to tolerate Stew and dumps?

Edit, tolerate is the wrong word but I associate stew with a roaring fire and a cold winter's day.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

On average it's about 28/29 centigrade, more then that in the sun. After 14 years living here I think am well used to the climate, it also helps to have a good air conditioning system in your home. The thought of a roaring fire on a winter's day sounds wonderful..I hope you all enjoy them very much 😁

Hi Happyman4,

This looks like a very yummy stew!

Hope that you enjoyed it xx

😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to TaurusLady

I did enjoy it very much thank you TaurasLady x😊

That looks super delicious. Surely is comfort food at it's finest. Now I want to make some for myself haha

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Kainan_li

I loved it and enjoyed it so much, especially as I hadn't made it for some time. I will definitely be making again in a few days time.Really very tasty and very relaxing meal 😊

You may also like...