Carrot cake. : I kept busy this morning in... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,986 members β€’ 9,793 posts

Carrot cake.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’33 Replies

I kept busy this morning in the kitchen with making my first ever carrot cake, I got the recipe from YouTube. I hadn't realized just how much sugar, oil, refined flour and cream cheese was involved until I started to measure it all. It has 400g of carrots in walnuts and raisins but as I only used golden brown sugar in it, it looks dark.

The taste is amazing but it's not something I want to eat to much of..the piece that missing I shared with my two sons and it was enough to satisfy me for probably the rest of the day.

It's really not to far off from a Christmas fruit cake, the cream cheese icing was exceptional 😊

33 Replies
β€’
Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey Happyman4 your carrot cake with cream cheese icing looks wonderfully indulgent and we all need a treat so its great that its packed with carrots and walnuts.

I'm sure that you and your family will enjoy this treat. 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry, it is a very tasty recipe, loved it, but far to big, maybe try and freeze half. πŸ™‚

Well for a first time Happyman, that looks pretty good to me, I certainly wouldn't refuse a slice. πŸ˜‹

It does have a very appealing look about it, and it is delicious, am wondering if it freezes well. 😁

There's one way to find out, good luck if you try it. πŸ™‚

That's what I was thinking 😁

Go for it, I dare you! πŸ˜„

Looks delicious. Yes unfortunately some carrot cake recipes aren' t that healthy- but no harm in having a treat once in a while😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to MadBunny

Am sure I could do a far more healthy recipe then this one..this one is more like a rich fruit cake, I will definitely try to make my own version when I feel like it.πŸ™‚

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Wow Happyman4 - that is a seriously good looking carrot cake! Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

It is good looking, a lovely picture and a very tasty carrot cake, I think it's the best I ever tasted..perhaps not the most healthy thing you can eat..but a little piece a day is fine with me 😊

Looks delicious, Happyman! I shall be making a carrot cake this week, with strawberries on top - my grandson's special request for his fourth birthday on Sunday. I love carrot cake and have a favourite recipe, and I will enjoy making (and eating) it more than the dinosaur cake he asked for last year!

Thank you Trimmerteacher, your carrot cake with the strawberries sounds delicious, I bet your grandson is going to love it, and grandmother will be very happy watching him eat it😁 The dinosaur cake made me smile, I think all my kids have asked for a dinosaur cake for their birthday..but they never got oneπŸ˜‹

Your favourite carrot cake recipe sounds very interesting, very.. but I expect that you be wanting to keep that a secret 😏

I will though be working on my own new recipe, I had an idea that I would use strawberries as part of the topping..but that's as far as I got for now.😁

No secret recipe, Happyman4 , I use the reliable BBC carrot cake recipe. More healthy than last year's cake-o-saurus, which was two round madeira sponges (firmer to cut than Victoria sponge) - one was the body, the other one was cut up to form head, tail and legs, all held together by (very unhealthy) royal icing, which turned out a sickly green, despite using a whole bottle of colouring!

Cake-o-saurus!

It really looks wonderful, I showed it to my baby daughter and she enquired about everything about it for the next 10 minutes ☺ She and her brothers are very good at making things with playdough so I think they will do a great job modeling with icing sugar..I have a look for some food colouring next time we go shopping. 😁

I shall expect to see the picture! 😊

Okay 😁

It came out rich and decadent looking.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

I had to look up decadent, definitely me πŸ˜‡

I really enjoy carrot cake. I have a recipe that uses maple syrup instead of regular sugar. It's very easy to freeze and eat!

Yours looks very good.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Thank you happytulip, it is a very lovely looking cake, I was very very happy with how it turned out..will be thinking on a much more healthy one though. πŸ™‚

Your carrot cake looks lovely happyman. It is quite filling to eat as the ingredients used is quite heavy. I've never made it before. I had a shop bought slice. I'm the only one that likes it in my family so wouldn't really make it at home. Love the way you've decorated it 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

Thank you Zara, am sure I would buy a slice of carrot cake if there was any to be had where I live, but the one's I have bought in the past were really not worth buying and not eating. I think I've been spoilt with having the best cakes made for me when I lived in London.

Am going to try out a new recipe, perhaps just a quarter of the size of this one when I feel in the mood.

It does look beautiful 😁

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star

Wow! you have been busy. That looks wonderful.

Thank you Kitten whiskers, it actually tasted even better with a day in the fridge.. really delicious πŸ™‚

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star in reply to Happyman4

I can imagine 😊 it does look It

Looks nice - looks like its got some chocolate in it

Thank you Sara, there's no chocolate used in the recipe, I used brown sugar that's why it looks so dark. It was delicious and tasted even better after a day in the fridge..😊

irishtimes.com/life-and-sty...

Not sure if the above link will work. I'm not very techy but this is my recipe that I like as it's not to sweet.

Edit: if I remember correctly I had my oven at a slightly higher temperature and had it in for about 10 mins longer, but every oven is different.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Thanks for the link, it is most definitely more healthy than the recipe I used. It did give me some ideas, I will probably try something very similar but with about half the ingredients. πŸ™‚

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

I had to tweek the recipe a bit. I'm not a cake person really. I used half the amount of topping. In general it's a cake that isn't very sweet which suited me.

I hope you have a good day over there.

I made a carrot cake for my son in laws birthday July 3rd.and froze half of it. Yesterday I made banana bread, two loaves and a baby one with chocolate chips. I am so bad.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Analeese

Sounds really good to me 😊 I ended up freezing half of it, I put it at the bottom of a deep freezer, hopefully I will forget about it for the next 3 months 😊

You may also like...