Sweet and sour.: Today's evening meal was... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,986 members β€’ 9,793 posts

Sweet and sour.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’56 Replies

Today's evening meal was, sweet and sour chicken with onion, fresh pineapple, red yellow and green bell peppers.

The chow mein noodles was made up with 4 different varieties of green vegetables, garlic, ginger, sesame seed oil, oyster sauce, soya sauce fish sauce salt and pepper.

The couple of fritters was made up with about 30 to 40 tiny fresh river prawns in each of them.

I made enough to save in the fridge for tomorrow..I love eating it cold straight from the fridge 😁

Delicious, and far more tasty then what I ever had from a restaurant or take away..I didn't have to look up any recipe as I have made this many times..πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

56 Replies
β€’

That look nice

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to

Thank you Johnblue πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey this looks very appetising Happyman4 full of flavour and beautifully presented.

So you enjoy it even more tomorrow.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I enjoyed it very much and I can enjoy it even more tomorrow as I don't have to cook it..πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Looks delicious πŸ˜‹ makes me smile I haven’t smiled since 2 days

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

Thank you Hiba, it's one of my favourite Chinese dishes, I enjoyed it very much πŸ™‚Sorry you gone for days without a smile, but happy my post made you smile..it is a happy looking meal.😊

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Happyman4

I love sweet and sour chicken ☺️

Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator

Hi Happyman4,

Your sweet and sour chicken looks wonderful. :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it and that there's some for the next day, too. :-)

Thank you Leah, am really glad I finally made it, it was so perfect 😊

Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator in reply to Happyman4

You’re very welcomed! I’m glad it turned out the way you were hoping.

Great recipe!

Thanks Autisticframework, πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Mmmmmmm……yummmmmm

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Isinatra

Thank you Isinatra,.it really was very tasty 😊

That looks really good Happyman. πŸ™‚

Thank you springcross, it really was delicious, it was my first ever Chinese meal when I was 15 years old in a place called Worthing 56 years ago. Loved it ever since...same recipe with the bell peppers, pineapple and onion 😊Memories 😍

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi Happyman4

I would love to know your recipe for this gorgeous looking meal. It looks really tasty, and I'd love to try to make it myself. I know I would enjoy it very much!

Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest, ofcourse I will do that. I been making it for 40 years or so and write out the recipe and method later in the day.. I just been making it from memory and haven't been measuring anything, I might make a bit more sauce and measure the ingredients..it only takes 5 minutes to make it and it will keep in the fridge to used in a few days time.πŸ™‚

Happyman4 profile image

Hi Zest, a very simple sweet and sour sauce just for one portion is...

30g of sugar, 30g of cider vinegar, 30g of tomato sauce, 60g of water..boil together until sugar dissolves and add a teaspoon of cornstarch to a couple of tablespoons of water and mix in, cook for a minute..a pinch of salt and adjust to your taste with more vinegar, sugar etc..

Chicken, for one portion.

One egg, tablespoon of soya sauce, teaspoon of sesame seed oil, tablespoon fish sauce, crashed garlic, salt and pepper and mix in the chicken and add cornstarch or tempura flour or a mixture of both enough to coat the chicken..I always make it very stiff and leave to menorate for a while.

Fry until golden brown and re fry when your really to serve.

I like to pan roast the onion, bell peppers and the pineapple a little before mixing in with the sweet and sour sauce and adding the chicken in last.

I've just made enough sweet and sour sauce for one portion and I think I will add it to a few prawn fritters I made yesterday for my breakfast..😁

Bluelady-sing Zara0123 😁

Prawn chilli fritters.
Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Happyman4

Hi Happyman4

I am really happy to have this recipe, thank you so much! I am going to copy and paste it into my recipe folder, and I hope to try it out sometime - I am excited at the prospect of making a sweet and sour meal - as I've never attempted to make my own sauce before, and I'd like to be able to do that.

Thank you!

Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image

Very pleased that you liked it Zest, for me that is what sweet and sour sauce should be like, but I know you can adjust it to your taste very easily πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Looks delicious

Thank you MintTeaMascara, it was very delicious 😊

Looks delicious happyman. Your family are very lucky to have you. No need to go to the restaurant when you have good food like this cooked at home πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

Thank you Zara, your right we love are home cooked meals, when I was preparing the recipe my children kept coming and taking the chicken, so I had to make another lot for my sweet and sour, πŸ˜‹

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

Your a good dad happyman 😊

Sweet and sour chicken is delicious. Don't blame your children. I've had it at a restaurant πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

I think you'll be busy at 3am tonight, eating the sweet and sour chicken straight from the fridge πŸ•’ πŸ˜‹ 😁

Happyman4 profile image

I got a bit hungry just before midnight and thought why not😊 still some left for lunch 😊I been happy enjoying jasmine tea in my kitchen since 4am...5.19 now.

Zara0123 profile image

11:30pm here, nearly bedtime. Have a good day 😊

Happyman4 profile image

Have a good night πŸ’€

How do make the sweet sour chicken?

Am going to write the recipe and method later in the day, Zest asked the same as you and I just replied to her..when I write it, I will tag your name..πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Zara0123 profile image

Please add my name too happyman. I would love to try it too, thanks in advance 😊

Happyman4 profile image

I willπŸ™‚

Looks delicious. I'm off my food at the moment but keep the posts coming as they are helping by making me hungry πŸ˜‚!

When you cook chicken recipes do you use thigh meat or breast meat?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Was very delicious 😊 Not a great feeling been off your food, so am glad my posts are helping to perk you up a little bit πŸ™‚πŸ‘

I use mostly thighs, but I will also use breast.. depending on what am cooking, I used thighs for this recipe as you have to double fry them so they crisp on the outside and juicy inside.

I have used the breast of chicken before and it works great as well. Pork and prawns or mushrooms if you a veggie are great really good as well.

We are cooking quite a lot today, so will put a post on for sure 😁

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

Thank you! I managed some avocado, green tea and smoked salmon but I'll be asleep for another 6 hours now as it's worn me outπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

I too use mostly chicken thigh meat as I think it has more flavour, especially when cooking Asian dishes. I don't think I will be cooking from scratch for a while but fortunately I have a freezer which is jam packed full of freshly made but frozen food for when the appetite returns.

Just so you know I did get some frozen mango from the supermarket and I lived on mango lassi for several days so thank you for that idea. It was refreshing and nutritious.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Avocado, smoked salmon and green tea sounds very nice to me happytulip, am just enjoying my second big cup of green jasmine tea now..5.30am, I know I over slept 😁

Had 4 prawn fritters left over from last night..made from those tiny fresh water prawns, it's great when you have something really you can eat without cooking. Just one minute in the microwave and they were delicious. Last thing you need is to cook when your feeling up to it.

You just reminded me that I need to make some more yogurt today, fruit lassi are so good I make them regularly now, kids love them 😊

WOW..that looks marvellous..i could eat that right now.And i ought to make more Chinesey meals.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to secrets22

Thank you secrets, I learned quite a few Chinese recipes, I do cook them from time to time..Will try a post one or two more..πŸ™‚πŸ‘

that looks lovely but i cant eat sweet n sour cos of the high sugar content in the sauce

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Sara_2611

You can used one of the many sweeteners, these are some I have in the kitchen cabinet, white monkfruit with Erythritol, brown monkfruit with Erythritol, Stevia leaves..we used up the Erythritol and the 95% monkfruit with 5% sugar cane weeks ago in making brownies for the children weeks ago. There's no after taste when you use them in something with strong flavours πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

The sweet & sour looks delicious and love the sound of the fritters.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to CTink

Thank you CTink, I love this dish so much, am going to make some more in a couple of days, perhaps with king prawns..The fritters are a favourite recipe in Thailand, villagers get them from the many rivers and waterways that feed the rice fields..its not very often you will find them in a city, just hit lucky in our local market yesterday..really very nice 😊

Salivating over your dish cuz it looks real good

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

Thank you Imaaan, absolutely delicious, I had more today that I saved in the fridge..and I will probably make some more in a couple of days time, probably with some king prawns πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

Lucky u to have leftovers to feast on. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention earlier that I would prefer eating it hot.

Happyman4 profile image

I could of put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes but it's so hot here some dishes are really refreshing when cold as well as hot..Having said that. I also use to eat it cold when I live in London..not so hot there😁

Imaaan profile image

You can go both ways. Nice !

Happyman4 profile image

Fish pie, moussaka, spaghetti with butter, roasted chicken and potatoes, to name a few, are all very nice to me eaten hot or cold straight from the fridge ..😊

Imaaan profile image

All of them would have to be warm for me..lol. Its interesting to see the beauty of our diverse preferences

Happyman4 profile image

Glad you liked my post Imaaan,..it's been very tiring today, time to put down the mobile πŸ’€

Imaaan profile image

Enjoy your resting

Hi Happyman4,

Your Sweet and Sour Meal looks gorgeous..

I love the colour, the big chunks and the greens that you have used.

Glad that you enjoyed it! xx

😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to TaurusLady

Thanks TaurusLady, it does look very pleasing to the eyes, making even more enjoyable πŸ™‚

You may also like...