Cream leek and potatoe soup for breakfast 😁 - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,268 members β€’ 9,623 posts

Cream leek and potatoe soup for breakfast 😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’26 Replies

I had it on my mind from last night to make this soup, being an early raiser I actually had it made by 6am and it only took about 20 minutes to make.

It was more of a leek soup really as it was more then double the leeks then there was potato.

Ingredients were 400g leeks, 150g potatoe, 100g of leftover roasted carrot from last night's dinner, one stick of celery, 300g fresh cream, fresh ginger, garlic, salt and black pepper..

When cooked and blended I added some finely sliced Centella into it and a little on top for garnish.

I was delicious with the sourdough walnut bread I bought yesterday.

Very very lovely πŸ‘πŸ˜

26 Replies
β€’

Hi Happyman4,

Love your food as you always have some exquisite veggies in there which drew my attention is Centella. If I am not mistaken, it goes by another name pennywort right? If so, I make my drink from these leaves and it has such healing effect anti inflammatory property. πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘

Your homemade soup is wholesome, delicious and gorgeous! Enjoy with your favorite bread. πŸ˜‹πŸ‘Œ

Yes it does go by other names, pennywort is one of them, I use it in most all my salads and have quite a lot growing so I never run out ..I think it's one of Thailand's top herbs, its served in every noodle soup restaurant along with other herbs as a side dish...I like it very much and it certainly gives my soup a very nice flavour and texture..😊

Thank you for beautiful and healthy soup idea! πŸ˜πŸ™ I’ll have to make it some time soon too. I’m getting ready for bed now. πŸ˜΄πŸ’€πŸ›. You have a good day ahead with your family! 😊🌺

Sleep good πŸ™‚

πŸ™πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

You can't beat home made soup and your leek and potato soup does look good, 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

It was as delicious as delicious can get, I have always loved this soup, but perhaps the roasted carrot gave it the extra flavour that made it even more enjoyable..will keep the recipe the same next time 😊

Your soup looks very nice Happyman. I looked up Centella and found out another name for it is Gotu Kola. I remember a naturopath on TV many years ago saying that Gotu Kola is very good for you but can't remember why. The leaves look quite similar to Nasturtium leaves when looking at them on photos. πŸ™‚

Good point springcross, I just looked up Nasturtium leaves and they seem to be good for you too. healthline.com/nutrition/ed.... πŸ™‚

Yes they are and have lovely flowers too, the only problem with them is once you have a couple of plants, you are never without them and they turn up almost everywhere. They are good for companion planting to attract aphids away from your valuable plants. xx

I think Companion planting is much better than using chemicals. πŸ™‚

I agree wholeheartedly R. xx

When I lived in London i remember planting marigolds all over the place as I believed that kept black fly and other insects away..but a spray of washing liquid with water used to take care of them.Anything over here just gets a blast from the water hose..job done..πŸ™‚

My dad used very diluted washing up liquid on his roses. πŸ™‚

I learned it a long time ago and it does work and does no harm to the plants. πŸ™‚

Thanks for reminding me. πŸ™‚

I was reading up on it when I posted, but I can't remember what it was, so definitely not in the Ginkgo biloba family..I used to love eating the the flowers of the Nasturtiums plant, it was a long time ago but I seem to remember they had a bit of a peppery taste to them, I never eat the leaves but I know there edible.

The soup really was delicious, I got some in the fridge for tomorrow morning 😁

I’ve only eaten the leaves in a salad and they’re peppery. You can eat the seeds too, in place of capers.

Lovely soup Happyman, I wouldn’t have thought of putting ginger in it. πŸ™‚πŸ˜‹

I was renovating a house some 40years ago and there was a large patch of the Nasturtiums growing there, I only knew about the flowers were edible at that time. I used to love eating them as I was working.

I have always put fresh ginger in this soup every since I can remember, I never remember buying it as j used to get it among other things from my friends Chinese, Malaysian and Indonesian restaurants that I done all the maintenance on..

It brings a certain freshness to the soup, everyone who ever tried it loved it.πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Nice story. The ginger provides extra nutrition too. Do you grow ginger Happyman? πŸ™‚

Yes, the yellow and the white, and quite a few other herbs. πŸ™‚

I think I read that it has a pretty flower. πŸ™‚

Very rarely you will see it flower, I had one flower only once and had a beautiful photo of it..sadly it was on the mobile that my youngest son lost it when we was in Cambodia, whoever found it would not return it even for the $100 reward I promised to give..they read the message on line but would not give it back ..it was only the photos on there that I wanted, the mobile was an old model and not even worth $50 second hand...☹ really still missing it☹

I love your stories, but sorry about the phone Happyman. Can’t understand how someone could be so thoughtless. Would you give it another try and hope for a flower? πŸ™‚

I have lots of ginger plants, if one ever flowers I will take photo, life goes on πŸ™‚

πŸ€žπŸ‘

You may also like...