Two for the price of one😊: After seeing a... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,268 members β€’ 9,623 posts

Two for the price of one😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’79 Replies

After seeing a few posts on crumpets and not been able to find them anywhere in pattaya. I decided to make my own from the recipes I'd seen on YouTube.

It was very straight forward, then it struck me as was finishing mixing it that was the same mixture as I have made on many occasions for making the my favourite Greek honey balls. With only a slight variation..in that the honey balls use a little sugar and water instead of milk. Having said that you can make the crumpets with water and milk as you can with the honey ball..in short the mixture is identical.

Hence I made some crumpets for tomorrow that will be toasted and eaten with butter.

And the rest of the mixture I made about 30 honey balls that I deep fried in coconut oil and we all enjoyed them very much after our evening meal..😊

79 Replies
β€’

They look really good Happyman, as do the honey balls. 😊

I did try a bit of crumpet with butter and it absolutely beautiful, as were the honey balls.Did you know that the honey balls go back thousands of years and were given as a reward to Olympic games winners..true or myth? Sounds good anyway 😊

No I didn't know that, I had never heard of them until I read your post. They do sound yum though I must say. πŸ˜‹

There are some places you can buy them in Parts of London, actually am pretty sure I will be making some more tomorrow, or my wife will 😁

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey your home made crumpets look wonderful as do the honey balls, this is what’s so great as we all inspire one another so you enjoy your efforts Happyman4 as most of us but crumpets and just turn on the toaster. πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I would have never thought about making my own crumpets until I saw the posts on here..they really did turn out beautiful and a minute I the toaster in the morning πŸ‘πŸ˜

PixiesMummy_ profile image
PixiesMummy_ in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry and happy man yes we do inspire each other I had to laugh when I posted white toast and Rach said she had to add some to her order a thick toastie loaf and her wholemeal toast inspired me to but a toastie wholemeal today lol I also have been having more crumpets or pikelets I call them since all the talk on here and your post I hope you will try making them, very well done happy man you honey balls remind me bit of mam's doughnuts which she makes very rarely.i got black grapes avacados bananas in my shopping today so that's tomorrors breakfast with the toast of course πŸ˜πŸ™‹

I remembered to have my sourdough toast this morning, it made a nice change. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Sourdough toast.

It's been on my mind to try and make some sourdough bread..πŸ€”

I was pleased with the toast Happyman. I’ve been having sourdough crumpets too.

Your crumpets and honey balls look delicious, I hope you enjoyed them. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Enjoyed them very much thank you R 😁 over the years I've watched quite a few videos on YouTube on making sourdough starters and bread because I like the sourdough bread, but never actually got round to doing anything with it.I was just talking to my wife about it as she is always willing to learn about things that am interested in, and we are going to make a start on it tomorrow..😊

I’m very interested in how you will go about it Happyman, please keep us posted. It may be a long process if you are starting from scratch, or have you already made the starter? πŸ™‚πŸ€”πŸž

We are going to make a start on it tomorrow, it takes about 7 days to make the sourdough starter, but its only a few minutes on it each day.. my wife just watched a Thai speaking video on it on YouTube, so she very keen to do it also. πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Very interesting, looking forward to seeing how it goes. πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ˜‹

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

Over the years my mother has done countless sourdough start ups to make injeera, so I've got faith in the both of you for succeeding in it. :)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

Thanks Imaaan, sounds like you have a wonderful mother. 😊

Imaaan profile image

❀️ Im blessed to have a great mom, thanks to God. Thank you for the lovely comment.

Hi Rach looks lovely in looking forward to my thick wholemeal toast in morning I will be back on my avacados and banana too need the bit E that's in avacado going to town this week to buy some capsules on offer at H n B don't sell at supermarket now mam stopped taking them as she's on blood thinners but it's only high dosage I read that's dangerous, but she has tumeric too I tell her she shouldn't I'll post my toast lol got back log of meals to post now πŸ€—πŸ˜ΊπŸ™‹

Morning Mandy, there is no comparison between toast made with thin sliced wholemeal and thick sliced sourdough. I used the grill as it wouldn’t fit in the toaster. πŸ™‚

Morning Rach lol I been using grill my toaster broke I had one that took sandwhich toastie bags I bought a large toast slotter toaster especially have ou tried them heatbproofe toastie bags re useable wash them, I'm getting a toaster when my kitchens done still got stuff in box not much storage space, I lost a unit when had french doors put in but I don't want loads stuff, me n mam are terrible for buying food and the car boot sale 5op boxes, must stop but you get some real good old utensils too better life's than these days can't beat the old stuff very well made pixies just settled snug on bed next to me so I'm having another 2o winks with him then toast time enjoy yours still lousey weather here πŸ€—πŸ˜ΊπŸ™‹

No I haven’t tried the sandwich toastie bags. It’s overcast and breezy here, but the outlook is for warmer weather,I hope it doesn’t get hot though. Enjoy your breakfast. πŸ™‚

I looked up difference in sour dough bread

πŸ€”

Thank you for this info. Mandy, as long as the bacteria is β€˜good’ it should be OK. I watched a TV programme about baking bread, I think it was The fabulous Baker Brothers, and they explained about β€˜starters’. But one of them was a professional baker, so their bread is of a higher quality. πŸ™‚

I sold dad's old bikes to a couple turned up in a bakery van mam said she made bread with brown flour it was so heavy he said never use brown alone mix the 2 a good tip well I opted for M cheaper toastie wholemeal as I won't eat the full loaf I'll give mam some and the medium sized split tin ones uncut where 1.2o they looked heavy I'm.posting my full breakfast then later I can get the pastries posted with mam's recipie I told her just put in the mixer instead of doing with fork it's a different procedure with the oil to the old lard n Marge I used to do by hand in the care home I liked that I used to drift of in a daydream lol, and think.this is a good job maby years ago i can't see me ever working again too old but now the virus restrictions been released I'd rather stay in reclusion somewhat πŸ€—

Yes I used to mix the lard, marg. and flour with a knife, that’s what we were taught at school.

I think a lot of people have concerns about the whole situation, and I agree with you that we have to do what we feel is right for us and take personal responsibility. πŸ™‚πŸŒˆ

Yes I even made the crumble with lard n Marge I find that pretty discusting now but my god it was yummy lol I've just posted 😁must get up still eating in bed have a good day think grey sky is set but I live in hope I bought a cistrus plant yesterday need to find space πŸ€”πŸ™‹πŸ’πŸŒ„

It’s brightening up here, hope it does where you are. What colour is your plant? πŸ™‚

It's the paler pink one there's dark pink and white the white is taking too much space it's strange flowers in summer for one day sheds the flowers next day but it's stopped now same as last year did it for about 2 weeks I might cut it right back and out the link one next to it I've got tall Daisey's getting big not flowers yet they flop right over in rain need thing back the borders are full and I have lavitaria tree which I love planted last year and 4 buddlia trees just flowerring lilac not quite yet but nearly ready πŸ€—πŸ’

I always find it hard to cut back or pull up plants, I know it has to be done but it feels ruthless somehow. My Buddleia is not ready yet, your garden must be a blaze of colour. Could you widen the borders or would it be too much hassle? πŸ™‚

No I don't want less grass width I can't put anything in front of the trees I have lots of things seeding well antirhinums marigolds aqualiguia and poppies finished now tho I put some seeds in park I must get up.in getting tireder lol still eating fruit mam messaged said she's up I'll be going round there soon my friend messaged invited me to hers for lunch tomorror she usually does red tin salmon sannies 😁

😊

Lovely health breakfast Mandy. Enjoy your time with your mum. Red salmon and cucumber is very nice. πŸ™‚πŸŒž

It's thick dark crust can't eat all the crusts

😁

It’ll make your hair curly! πŸ€”πŸ˜

Oh no I'll have to change name back to curly lol they were burnt before I toasted I eat them but not the pale crusts on other side lol πŸ˜πŸ€”

I know it’s an old wives tale but when I was little that’s what my parents told me. πŸ™‚πŸž

Yes me too my dad had tight curly hair too mines not so curly must be all the grey lol 😭

πŸ™‚πŸ€«

We've hi jacked happymans post lol well it's more white blonde so I'm nearly a natural blonde πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚have a good day πŸ€—πŸ˜»,

For you sweet peas and muffin I'm having it soon

πŸ’

The garden’s looking lovely and colourful, thank you for the pretty sweet peas and the muffin, I was going to have it after my tea until I saw that it would be gone soon. πŸ™‚πŸ€”

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Rachmaninov2

Your toast looks scrumptious. There is something special about jam/honey and sourdough toast and a cup of chai tea. Tuna melted with cheese on sourdough toast and chai tea is spectacular as well.

Rachmaninov2 profile image
Rachmaninov2 in reply to Imaaan

I’ve heard of chai tea but haven’t tried it. I used to have a cup of coffee with toast but stopped drinking it about six months ago.

Thank you for the idea of tuna melted with cheese, I’m always looking for new ideas. How do you do yours? πŸ™‚

Imaaan profile image

Chai tea with tuna and melted cheese is EPIC. If your tummy can handle cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom give it a go and you wont regret it.

My fave way in the past was to put the tuna and marble cheese on the sourdough then place it in a toaster oven or oven itself cuz it gives the best crunch. Then drizzle ketchup and hot sauce on top of my creation and drink my chai tea in bliss.

I used to love all spicey things including curries, now my tummy has the last word. At least I now know what Chai tea is, and I’ll keep it in mind.

Yes, the crunchier the better, but mind your fillings. I will try it but have to pass on the hot sauce, although I can see how it adds to the dish. πŸ™‚

Happyman4 profile image

That would be masala chai, that I make sometimes, very lovely tea, I used to have it almost daily made with ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves..and ofcourse black tea leaves. Chai just means tea in India and Char means tea in Chinese. I've always known tea as Chai in my mum's house.

So that’s where the expression β€˜β€™a nice cup of char’’ originated. πŸ™‚πŸ€”πŸ‘

Imaaan profile image

I'm familiar that chai means tea because we have several Indian influences in Somalia and east Africa in general. In Somali, its the exact ingredients but spelled and pronounced like shaah. :)

Happyman4 profile image

In Thailand, Chai means, right, as in correct and Char means tea..because of the Chinese influence in this part of the world. I think the word tea was used by the British because the leaves come from the tea plant. My youngest son loves masala chai..I will make some for him and me in the morning πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Imaaan profile image

Love that your post ended up being a discussion on delicious food and a celebration of different cultures and languages. Hope you enjoy your cuppa of chai with your son tomorrow. :)

Happyman4 profile image

πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

5.30am here Mandy, am a bit late getting up this morning, looking forward to my toasted crumpet with some jasmine tea...need some help getting up, I think I've over eaten on roast potatoes and then the honey balls..

I read somewhere that the honey balls were the world's first doughnuts πŸ™‚

Hi my last crumpet pikelets was this lol it's one in morning pixie just woke up I hope he doesn't start meowing for early breakfast I am been good I didn't over do the potatoes yesterday I shall post my mam's keich n pie today I don't like to post too many at once I will have to go in detail I guess quantity of ingredients I think.im still from the pie I didn't eat the full half keich last night either for tea had blue berry muffin after got back from.shops bought more lobeilia and another cistrus plant will come back next spring then I went in charity shop bought 2 false cycleman plants in little plant pots for my summer room I used to grow them on my job at the nurseries 25 ISH years ago how time flies

😁egg wasnt soft enough

You saw it on HE, desired and conquered it in the kitchen. BravoπŸ‘

Your crumpets turned out marvelous along with your honey balls. My mama makes the most mouthwatering honey balls and uses yogurt to get that sweet tangy taste.

Happyman4 profile image

Thank you Imaaan, am very interested in your mama's method in making honey balls with using yogurt..I suppose it would be replacing some of the milk or water with yogurt to get the right consistency?

Imaaan profile image

She uses plain yogurt and also milk to get the perfect consistency but cant remember if she ever added any water. You'd think I'd remember since she made it every Ramadan growing up. I do recall that she would let the batter sit for a while.

I'll ask her today when I phone her

Happyman4 profile image

Am pretty sure it was just milk and yogurt..yes you have to leave it to rest for a couple of hours or until its doubled in size..πŸ™‚

Imaaan profile image

You were right on the money. She chuckled and said "waaaaater...never used water in my life only milk and yogurt."

Happyman4 profile image

I have lots of Greek yogurt in the fridge that needs to be use up soon, πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Hi Happyman4,

They look scrumptious and freshly made by you. πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

I’m glad you and your family enjoyed them so much. Thank you for sharing with us! πŸ˜ŠπŸ™

Thank you GreatMindfulness, they come out perfect, no need to keep looking where I can buy crumpets anymore πŸ‘πŸ˜

You’re welcome. I haven’t tried it before, don’t know what crumpet is as we don’t have over here. πŸ€” Maybe I should look up YouTube and make one too. Brilliant Happyman4 you made them! πŸ˜πŸ‘

Yes, have a look on YouTube, there are many videos on making them...but for me I will reduce the ingredients by half next time..πŸ™‚

πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star

They look delicious, and what a bonus to be able to make the honey balls out of the same mixture 😊

Thank you Kitten-whiskers, yes they were both very lovely, we had the crumpets toasted with butter this morning, and I made some more honey balls..I think tomorrow is just going to be a veg and fruit day..😊

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersVegan star in reply to Happyman4

They do look really professional, I had often wondered how crumpets are made, I may have to have a look at the you tube channel - just to satisfy my curiousity πŸ™ƒ

Cockneyblue profile image
CockneyblueHigh Risk

Oh you are really clever πŸ‘πŸ‘

Why thank you Cockneyblue πŸ˜‹ but am not quite sure in what way..I am of average intelligent's nearly 😊

Toasted this morning for breakfast πŸ‘πŸ‘

Very appetising Happyman, I love the way the butter is seeping out of them. πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ˜‹

They were absolutely delicious, I will make them again as a special treat 😊

Tea and crumpets, a great British tradition. πŸ™‚

One of the best 😊

Imaaan profile image

I thought they were English muffins when I first saw the crumpets yesterday. Then I googled to see the difference btwn them.

I’ve only had English muffins a couple of times, but you can get cheese muffins now and they do appeal to me. πŸ™‚

Imaaan profile image

Cheese English muffins? They sound yummy. I've only had the regular plain in the past.

I just looked up recipes for English muffins and really you can put what you like in them. πŸ™‚

Imaaan profile image

The batter or dough not sure what the right terminology would be for it, lends itself to be versatile so I could see a variety of different ingredients being used and working. ;)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Fantastic to see those home-made crumpets, plus the honey balls. Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest πŸ™‚

You may also like...