Round or long gourd? : I took this photo and... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,269 members β€’ 9,623 posts

Round or long gourd?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’74 Replies

I took this photo and posted it 4 weeks ago, I didn't plant the seed so I had no idea what it could be, I could only guess it was either a round or long gourd and the birds put it there in one of the pots that had something already growing in it...any one care to guess 😊

I took a couple more photos of some fruits that are growing and doing well that I will post below..hope you like them 😊

74 Replies
β€’

Just a baby, but very happy to see it, behind is a Pomelo that almost ready to be picked 😊

First papaya this year.
Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Happyman4

A very sweet fruit😊

Chico fruit is doing well this year 😊
Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Happyman4

I picked these this morning and eat a couple before I took the photo, they were really ripen to perfection, juicy and very tasty 😊

Star fruit ripen to perfection 😁

I've never heard of Chico fruit. 😊

I don't think I've seen it in the UK, but its popular in this part of the world. πŸ˜‹

What does the Pomelo taste of Happyman?

It's in the citrus family but it has a nice mellow flavour, I don't know what I can compare it to, its delicious and refreshing. 😊

It looks like sweetcorn.

I seem to remember you can find star fruit in some places in London, I love them when they are fully ripen, my kids like them when they are still a bit sharp. When you cut them it looks like a star 😁

I can’t guess what it is Happyman, the leaves look a bit like those on marrow or cucumber plants, but I’ll be interested to know when you find out. It’s great that you have Pomelos and Papayas growing as well. πŸ™‚πŸ€”

I know what it is now and I took a lovely photo of it just before it started to get dark..😁

Cantaloupe..maybe 😁

Cantaloupe would be good, hope you get some more. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Looks like just the one, now have to wait until I cut it and see if its white or orange inside, either way it's a very welcome gift 😊

A nice gift, courtesy of a bird. πŸ™‚

It could only be from them, at least that's what j think..it looks so beautiful 😊

Just think how beautiful it will look when you cut it. πŸ™‚

Am sure I will want to share that day😁

Would be disappointed if you didn’t. πŸ™‚

I've never tried cantaloupe and your Chico fruit looks so delicious that's thing with hot country's all the best fruit grows here in britain what do we get apples mam has a tree strawberries raspberries here's mam's plants😊she has raspberry strawberries too and brambles shared with nebour we get lot them in park mam makes nice pie made with cold pressed rapseed oil

Cucumber and tomato

Having lived in England more than anywhere else, I can agree with you that some of the best fruits are grown in the UK., sadly I just have to make do with these ones as it's just to cold for me there now in my old age..πŸ₯Ί

Oh I'm.sorry but I know what you mean I suffer from.trigiminal nuralgia a rare condition and winter is very painful I have toothach like pain most of winter the warm.ait solves this I have some joint pain too in winter wish didn't have ties here then I'd move abroad I think.britain be one of the first to sink.in the global warming sinario too I guess we have to make the most of what we have don't know what's round corner the virus is here to stay and certainly been a eye opener πŸ€—

Very well said Mandy, thank you for being so understanding 😊 X

It’s very nice Mandy, lovely and sweet and refreshing on a hot day. I hope you get lots of cucumbers and tomatoes from your plants. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

That's nice,i have been enjoying the big vine Tom's from H and M lol only one pound 18, I used to grow beans but didn't bother this year mam didn't have much luck last year I wasn't living at my house then and her nebour had a bad crop too, mam has a greenhouse I'll take photo I've just posted my lunch lol 5 mins meal I'm.such a lazy cook these days 😊

😊

Inside

Toms

Summer project

Man's arch and pond we did

It’s good to have a project and when you take before and after photos you can see what you’ve achieved. I like the pond and have always wanted one. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

We made it smaller remember the rushes I chopped back well the arch has trailing red rose on can't see it on photo and the greenhouse has one of the false roses we keep buying from market I can't wait for Friday lol was going to go to FF today but more rain I must catch weather forecast I hope no one's flooded on the low lying grounds it will reach point we're ground can't take anymore but we usually lucky here and it stops in time 😊

Yes I remember you making it smaller and I bet the arch looks pretty with the rose growing around it. I try to do some weeding after it rains because it’s so much easier. I’ve always wanted a greenhouse too. πŸ™‚

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

Happyman it looks like a melon. I just googled it. I read that you may need to add support as it will be too heavy to hang on it's own until it fully grows and is ready to eat.

Melon

I forgot to put the photo on, done it now😁

Zara0123 profile image

Your so lucky if it's a melon. I would love to have melons growing in my garden. We buy them whenever they are available in the supermarket.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

Yes I think it is a melon, but it for some reason in the supermarkets they call them cantaloupe, I have always known them as honey dew melon, the round ones that I have bought in the past seem to be orange coloured inside. My supermarket often stocks both along with other varieties of cantaloupe..I might go there early this morning when there's very few people shopping, am very frightened of covid as it seems to be getting worse here in Thailand.

We need shopping anyway..so I will buy one or two if they have, water melon is what w mostly buy.

I think the shop opens at 6am so I'll try and wake myself up for it..πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Zara0123 profile image

The ones we buy are round and come in two varieties. One is the cantaloupe which is orange inside and the other one is the colour like the honeydew melon which is white. I like the orange one more.

Happyman4 profile image

I like both, but if I could only have one, it would definitely be the orange one.

I love water melon - we actually bought one on Monday although we haven't cut it yet. πŸ˜‹

There a really lovely fruit, I bought one today also, we love them cooled in the fridge for a day, really nice and refreshing in this hot weather..I also bought the same cantaloupe that I posted, the name is golden lady cantaloupe/melon, will keep it in the fridge for the night πŸ€—

We always keep ours in the fridge, especially once it's cut. Do you eat the seeds?

We have in the past sun dried some when they have been fairly big one's, we also do it with pumpkin seeds..haven't done it in a while though πŸ™‚

Zara0123 profile image

It looks like the canary melon. The above one is the honey dew melon.

Canary melon
Happyman4 profile image

I got it tied up now.πŸ™‚

Zara0123 profile image

Thats good πŸ‘Don't want it to fall and get damaged. Melons are delicious. Can't wait to see which one it is inside. Hopefully the orange one πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

I think it is the orange one because when I bought the round ones before they have been orange...but the old memory can play up sometimes 😟

Zara0123 profile image

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Happyman4 profile image

Just come back from shopping and the round ones are definitely orange inside...7.30 now and I've been to the fish market and to the supermarket that opens at 6am..πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Happyman4 profile image

I bought a nice big one this morning, the name they sell by is golden lady cantaloupe but I think you can say melon also, it's orange coloured inside 😊

Zara0123 profile image

Hope you enjoy your shop bought melon till your garden melon is ready to eat 😊

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator

The leaves make me think it's the the tomato/courgette family? Is it a different type or marrow?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Cooper27

Sorry forgot to put the photo on...my wife started cooking chillies and I run out to the garden 😁

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator in reply to Happyman4

I'm still stumped! What is it?

Happyman4 profile image

It a cantaloupe, don't know what colour the inside is until I cut it in about 2 weeks time.The round ones can be white or orange in colour, either way its delicious 😁

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator in reply to Happyman4

Ah, well that's an exciting thing to have pop up in the garden! I hope it's a really tasty one :)

Happyman4 profile image

Um sure it will delicious, it brings me lots of pleasure just looking at 😊

Midori profile image
Midori in reply to Cooper27

Cucumber/ Courgette/ Squash family. Tomatoes are part of the potato family.

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator in reply to Midori

My / was intended to reflect an "or", as in courgette or tomato family, but I can see how it could read that I was describing them as the same family. Thanks for the clarification :)

Midori profile image
Midori in reply to Cooper27

Sorry, I misunderstood!

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator in reply to Midori

It was an easy misunderstanding, I'm not taking it personally :D don't worry about it!

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Very nice photos - and hope you enjoy the fruits, whatever they may be. :-)Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest, I enjoy looking at them every day and it's a joy when they are ready to eat πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Thanks for sharing your lovely looking and thriving plants.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

My pleasure Imaaan, I didn't have a food post today as my wife and daughter did all the cooking, so I took the chance to show some of the lovely things growing in garden 😊I wouldn't mind another day like this tomorrow 😁

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

A brief respite from cooking duties is a welcomed break:)

Hi Happyman4,

I can’t believe you got star fruits in your garden. They are my favorite fruits and so expensive to get them here at wholefood market.

You have almost every wonderful fruits anyone can dream to have in their gardens. Thank you for sharing with us. πŸ™

Have a beautiful day with your family! 😊🌺

I actually got two trees, but I have to keep cutting right back, I love the pink flowers on them and they flower all year round..there a wonderful looking fruit and they are at their best when they ripen on the tree, πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Wow that’s amazing you have 2 trees. You know they charge us here in US is 5 dollars for ONE fruit. πŸ™„ It’s soooo good, very smooth sweetness when they ripe right on the tree. I eat the seeds too. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Do you have mangosteen tree? Ramputan tree? πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‡

I have a mangosteen, but its only about 2.5 meters high and I think about 4 years old..no fruit for a while yet, I was taking about moving it as it's to close the big jackfruit tree..but decided to leave it where it is and one day cut down the jackfruit tree as we already have 6 jackfruit trees in the ground and a few more in pots that will one day go to our farm. We got a couple of ramputan trees in pots, we tried planting some big ones in the past and they don't do well so give up on them.

I forgot to mention unripe star fruits make great salad with Italian dressing just in case you have so many fruits. πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

I remember my uncle used to save all the shellfish after eating like crabs shells, shrimp shells for his fruit trees as he said they are very nutritious for the trees. I think VN weather is the same as Thailand, maybe that’s something you can try if you haven’t.

I love your fruit trees garden and I hope they thrive for long time! πŸ˜πŸ‘

I will definitely try the salad with the starfruit...been cooking all morning, steamed carb and prawns, roasted chicken pumpkin and carrots, and now going to make Greek meatballs and a meat bolognese. But I think I need a little lay down first. πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Wow you are having a party over there. 😁

Have a good nap and we are getting ready for bed over here in US too. πŸ˜‡

I’m looking forward to your food post tomorrow! πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

Adiewon2 profile image
Adiewon2 in reply to Happyman4

Busy bee indeed, lm enjoying your food today and feeling inspired to get cooking.🐝Adiewon

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Adiewon2

That's great Adiewon..πŸ‘πŸ˜

Happy man what a beautiful gift thanks for sharing. ❀Adiewon

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Adiewon2

Found out today, the name is golden lady cantaloupe/melon 😁

Never seen that before

You may also like...