Evening meal. : Cod and chips, with a Cod roe... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,269 members โ€ข 9,623 posts

Evening meal.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
โ€ข75 Replies

Cod and chips, with a Cod roe cake, some very delicious homemade tartare sauce and a little salad.

I'd forgotten just how tasty the Cod roe cake was, I only cooked one and shared it with my wife..but I think tomorrow I will use the rest in the tin and make 4 more with a little more salad for lunch. And order another tin for the teramsalda that I want to make.

Very happy dinner ๐Ÿ˜Š

75 Replies
โ€ข

Everything came together looking quite tasty.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

Thank you Imaaan, it was very very tasty, ๐Ÿ˜Š

A beautiful plate of food Happyman. Did you just slice the roe and place in batter?

Yes I just cut of the bit showing after you open the tin...there still enough for 4 more about the same size as this one.Cover it in a little flour then dip it in butter ans fry in the same way as the Cod..my wife love it so I will cook the rest in the same way tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Havenโ€™t had tinned, does it have the same texture as fresh? ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿค”

I have only ever had it from the tin, even though I was a very keen fisherman when I lived in the UK and cought cod many times, I would share the roe with members of my family who would make teramsalda with it...๐Ÿ˜Š

I seem to remember that herring roe is soft and cod roe has a very slight crunch. We used to have it pan fried without the batter. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've got some frozen herring roe in the freezer, we normally use it for sushi in this part of the world, but I was going to give it a try in making teramsalda as it's a quarter of the price of cod roe..Interesting about frying it without the butter, I will stick with the butter for now and maybe try a some without the butter next time I buy some๐Ÿ˜Š

We used to have the herring roe on toast, it was many years ago but I remember that it was very tasty. Do you think the taramasalata would be a different texture using the herring roe? ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿค”

Yes I think it will be. And am not sure if I will like it. But I saw on a video that teramsalda was best using Cod, mullet or herring roe, so I will give it a try..nothing to lose, and I could always try it on toast maybe ๐Ÿ˜

May be quite smooth? With the crunchy toast you would have the contrast. ๐Ÿ™‚

I might defrost it tomorrow and give I a try with the teramsalda first..๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Iโ€™d be interested to know if you like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I will definitely let you know ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฆ

๐Ÿคฆ

Oh dear, I thought it was all eggs. Perhaps I need a rethink. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Wait until happy man reads this ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Well I thought that. ๐Ÿคซ

I am.habing fish cakes tomorror ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Oh, you are going to try cod roe fish cakes after all. ๐Ÿ˜‹

Yes your joining me ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜

I'm picking you up at 12 lunch at mine ๐Ÿ˜

Apologies, Iโ€™ve got a prior engagement with a cheese sandwich. So disappointed. ๐Ÿคฅ

Don't worry we can do it another time I'll freeze them ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thatโ€™s OK, you go ahead. Donโ€™t let me spoil your enjoyment. ๐Ÿ‘

Well they do that with them don't they on artificial.insemination ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿ˜‚

Well I didnโ€™t want to mention it. ๐Ÿ˜‡

๐Ÿ˜‚I can't stop laughing best get to sleep or we will be in trouble ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿ˜night night sweet dreams ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜น๐Ÿ˜น

Iโ€™m glad youโ€™re happy. Good night Mandy. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Just did ๐Ÿฅด

I'm.doing a post tomorror a special lunch for Rach ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฎ

Good morning Rach Here's to wet your apetite again for your white bread delivery ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ˜

Morning Mandy, thank you for a nice cheery message. I thought Iโ€™d have a change from porridge, so having wholemeal toast with scrambled egg for the first time in months. Made it with almond milk and a smidgen of pepper, fingers crossed for no repercussions. I hope you slept well and have a good day. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Hi Rach thanks yes let's hope your ok I use soya milk a lot for adding to eggs etc it's different to how it was in the past I like almond too, I've just been wiping with wet cloth the false flowers in a metal jug I got from charity shop yesterday there on window sill I feel like the owners are my friends lol think as I don't have any people no children boyfriend just pixie and mam of course but now I live alone I'm finding I'm wanting to surround myself with flowers and plants I'd like some green indoor big ones for the summer or winter room.as it will be by time it's done, I bought a hand carved Goldy brass coulored cat yesterday too from a special artist carver only 1.5o I like collecting special cats pixie for one ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿงก

I used to have a Swiss cheese plant, but it grew so big that I gave it to someone with a larger room. Now I have a Rubber plant which I bought about eight years ago when it was only about a foot in height. Iโ€™ve just measured it and itโ€™s 7 feet tall now. Nice to collect hand carved things, I like wooden bowls. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Mam has a woodern bowl I have a very old yuka tree which broke I gave it to mam and she put it outside it carried on living and now it's here I'm looking after it it's about at least 25 years old can't remember mam has a cheese plant many years old that her and my step dad got together he died 15 years ago sun's out so I'm off to sort the Ower damage out hoping to get grass cut have a nice day ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜ธ

๐Ÿ˜

Iโ€™m glad the Yucca is still doing well, we do get attached to our plants donโ€™t we. I see you have sweet peas, mine have just finished flowering so I have just cut them down before it rains. I hope you are able to get everything done. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've done grass just off to man's to do hers but I'll have lunch first that salmon and noodles and left over veg here's the ornament it says Frith sculpture I bought a pentagram star too I've moved then close so you can see and laid flowers down so you can see I need something for them there for my new room ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ™‹

๐Ÿ˜ธ

The flowers do look realistic. Did you look up Frith sculptures, thereโ€™s a lot of info. on them. It looks as if they are quite collectable. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Yes mam did there's different names for there poses just had lunch didn't do mam grass rained as j got there must be jet stream stuck or high pressure we usually get nice October's my fav month really when get the nice sunny days but not too hot, mam's ground under grass needed rain as big cracks I've got loads clover, took more slugs in park was a trail in kitchen be after pixie food ๐Ÿ™€I won't be having a big tea I'll eat late is the weather ok where you are where do you live in in hull ๐Ÿ’

Weโ€™ve had plenty of rain here in the south east and itโ€™s really changeable today. The bees love clover, I like the pink one. Those slugs are quick to get indoors if you leave the door open. Iโ€™m just going to have some lunch. ๐Ÿ™‚

Very grateful for the info PixiesMummy.. I think I just might give the soft cod roe a pass,๐Ÿ˜

Hi happy man oh so you didn't know ๐Ÿ˜I'm having salmon and noodles and left over veg for lunch have a nice day ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™‹

What is roe please ๐Ÿคฆ

Fish eggs, I heard the ones form the Male Cod are very tasty, ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜

I have just found out what cod roe is ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿ˜

When I had it as a child I was OK with the cod roe but not too sure about the herring roe when I looked at it. First saw them in the fishmongers. Once they were cooked and served on toast I liked them. Sโ€™s sell them in tins if youโ€™re interested. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‡

No thanks ๐Ÿคฆit said eggs and sperm ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚you and happy man can set up a restaurant for ๐Ÿคฎmeals snail frog legs and cods eggs have you tried caviar ๐Ÿคฎjust watching Corrie have a good night I'm not having any supper ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ป

Youโ€™ve just given me the best laugh Iโ€™ve had in ages, Iโ€™ve got tears in my eyes. No I havenโ€™t tried caviar, and I donโ€™t think I want to now. Enjoy Corrie, I hope we havenโ€™t put you off your supper. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‡

I'll do a post on similar foods ๐Ÿคฎnot sure I'll be eating them.tho ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚yes tennis on no EastEnders some summer rain and sport ๐Ÿคทโ›…think I'll have a ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ˜night night sleep well ๐Ÿงก

East Enders was on BBC 2, Good night, and you. ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ˜

Hi Happyman4, Your evening meal looks so scrumptious. ๐Ÿ˜‹ For a second, I thought you made the cucumber mint yogurt dip. Homemade sauce is always delicious.

Love your side salad so yummy and healthy. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Thank you GreatMindfulness, yes it does look like a yogurt dip in the photo, normally we have a tartare sauce with fish, it's just mayonnaise, lime juice, dill, and picked gerkin finely cut that I used, I sometimes use it as a salad dressing as well...it was really lovely to eat cod roe cake again..and ofcourse the cod and chips ๐Ÿ˜Š

Could you please share with me your Cod roe cake recipe Iโ€™m intrigued ๐Ÿ˜ I have some cod here in the freezer ๐Ÿ‘

I have only ever used the pressed tinned cod roe for the making the roe cakes..and its and simple as you would fry any fish in butter, dust the roe with flour and dip it in the butter then into hot oil..I've never used fresh or frozen, there maybe some recipes on YouTube..but I think it would be a lot easier if you used the pressed kind in a tin..that what we all used in the fish and chips shops. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you for sharing your technique.๐Ÿ™Iโ€™ll do some more research if itโ€™s different for frozen cod. I still have some fresh dill here too. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Excellent ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi Happyman4,

You can't go wrong with a fish n' chips meal, can you?

And this meal looks absolutely gorgeous!

xx

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to TaurusLady

Thank so much TaurusLady..๐Ÿ˜Š

Lovely I had cod in batter pre done bought yesterday carrots cabbage peas potatoes fell to bits as I microwaved it in bag then tipped in frying pan for flash fry to crisp up the veg was done in one pan so that was a mess too I thought I best not post this lol not many seem to be interested in my meals anyway ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ˜ธ

I think itโ€™s a quiet day today Mandy. Maybe some people are watching the tennis. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi Happyman4

Glad you enjoyed your meal, it looks great.

Zest :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest ๐Ÿ˜Š

That looks lovely , I love fish but not cod roe ๐Ÿ™‚

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Granoh3

Thank you Granoh3, ๐Ÿ˜Š

Looks very delicious ๐Ÿ˜‹ โ˜บ๏ธ

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

Thank you Hiba, ๐Ÿ˜Š