Peanuts not nuts 😁: Wife's dad likes to grow... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,267 members β€’ 9,623 posts

Peanuts not nuts 😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’57 Replies

Wife's dad likes to grow peanuts, and had someone bring us some about a month who was coming to pattaya, we like to eat them raw or steamed.

There was a couple of kilos left the children made light work of removing the shells this morning so they can make peanut butter when they had been baked in the sun for a day or two.

I thought some of you might be interested in how peanuts looked like before and after they been shelled. They really are quite beautiful colours.

Look out for the peanut butter in a few days 😊

57 Replies
β€’

Little darlings 😍

Peanuts 😘

Good morning Happyman. I used to buy them loose like this in the sweet shop when I was a child. I would then take them home and remove all the papery skins which I found tasted bitter and eat the nuts. πŸ˜‹

And good morning to you to springcross, I think once they been dried the skin is not nice to eat, but when they are raw or been boiled or steamed with the shells still on the skin is firmly stuck on the nut and you don't really know that it's on there when you eat them.When I was a little boy we grew them just like other peasant farmers did..my memories are vivid of the whole shell completely covered in sea salt and baked in the sun, I loved sucking all the salt off before it got to the shell.

Little did I know I be talking about it 70 years later 😁

What a wonderful world 😊

I used to buy the ones that had been shelled and so the skins were still very easy to remove. I have memories of it taking me a good while to remove them all but the end result was worth it. πŸ˜‹

I love them like that to, my wife made satay sauce today and crashed some of the dried one to make it with, we had satay chicken for lunch..very nice 😁

It sounds very nice too Happyman. 😊

πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Happyman4

Hey Happyman4 what a wonders gift! your little darling peanuts look like little pellets of nutrition to me so you and your family enjoy them πŸ₯œ

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

They are indeed little pellets of nutrition Jerry.Boiled in a little salt water with the shells on is how they are normally sold in markets and even on motor ways at traffic lights.

I asked my kids to make their own peanut butter as they like it so much and its expensive.

Can't wait to see how it turns out 😊

That's really interesting. And how lovely that the children are learning so much about food, how it's grown and made. Very handy to have them around to help shell the peanuts too!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Hi happytulip, my little darlings done extremely well in managing to open all that lot up, it was actually hard work for them, but they were well rewarded with icecream from 7/11 😊In a few days they can make the peanut butter.

We planted some in pots and they are already flowering in a very beautiful yellow. 😊

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

Well if ice-cream was the reward it's no wonder they worked so hard!🍦

Happyman4 profile image

😁 they couldn't of done so fast without the the help of their little sister help, it was actually very nice to see them working together.. truth is they get icecream or ice lollies every day, most are homemade by them. 😊

Do you eat those roasted broad beans?? I think they are roasted. I used to live off them over there! I used to buy them by the carrier bag.πŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image

Yes we have bought them. I love them, my mum used half of her garden to grow them, eat the whole pod when they are young with olive oil and lemon juice.I haven't seen them about for a long time in the market, in Cambodia you can big bags full for 2 or 3 dollars in the market.

happytulip profile image

I took a sac full of them into the Jungle in Laos. They were delicious and full of salt. I had to whizz them along the zip line.and I had to ration how many I had in a day incase I ran out!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Happyman4 profile image

Jungle in Laos, how wonderful is that, I read somewhere that there is so much wildlife there that is still not known..They are salty, but when in a very hot and humid environment you need to replace salt lost through perspiration.

I can lose a kilo in an hour when it's very hot and humid. So it was probably good for you that they were salty. 😊

happytulip profile image

It was in Bokeo. Yes I was craving salt so they were really good for me. We were living high above the tree canopy for quite sometime. We had all food delivered via zip line!

happytulip profile image

They are delicious!

Happyman4 profile image

Can you get them where you live now?

happytulip profile image

The only ones I have seen were on Norwich market. They had garlic in them and cost Β£2.59 and were the size of a packet of crisps.

Norwich is a beautiful city isn't it?

It is and I like the market. Cambridge is also a beautiful city and not far away

Happyman4 profile image

Am not sure if you can find the dried ones in Norwich, if they have continental shops. I use to visit Norwich to stay with friends but never looked around for shops. My mum used to deep fry some of the broad beans that she left to dry on the plants, but in London you could also buy dried in big bags, or maybe on Amazon.

Having said that I might take a look myself.

happytulip profile image

I'll have a look on Amazon. Norwich Market has become quite a foodie market now. It's a good place to get some food.

Looks delicious Happyman. You can buy them in london with or without the outer shell. My mum roast the peanuts in a pan. They do taste nice. My dad loves them.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

I like to roast them in the pan to, I think that's the best way, a little olive oil and a little salt is fine with me 😊

Glad your children got a ice cream treat. Well deserved for all their hard work

Happyman4 profile image

The shells are quite hard when they are fresh and they had to use something to bang them with...a little bit of hard work does you good I think..they did enjoy the icecream very much and the extra half an hour the can play games on the mobile tonight 😊

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

Love the way you take care of your family. Rewards always work for children and us adults too. Makes life more enjoyable πŸ™‚

Happyman4 profile image

Thank you Zara, 😊

I love peanuts☺️ In Algeria we have a snack they roast the peanuts and sprinkle them with salt and they are put in a news paper cone. ❀️ How I miss Algeria . thank you for posting this . this brings me back good memories☺️.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Hb2003

That's great Hb2003, I glad I posted it, I do remember the cones made from newspaper, it brings back memories when I first traveled to India the little boy selling peanuts on the beach in paper cones for 5 rupees each..I used to call him peanut, I saw again last year, his a big man now and not selling peanuts on the beach, but he still known by every one as peanut 😊I hope when life returns to normal and we can travel again you will be able to visit Algeria 😊

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Happyman4

That’s wonderful ☺️ I hope so

Hb2003 profile image

We are maybe going to go to Algeria it depends

Happyman4 profile image

Am sure you will, some things just take a bit of time to get right.

Hb2003 profile image

True 😁

Happyman4 profile image

πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ

Hi Happyman4, I can see you have so much fun with kids and enjoy these fresh peanuts. I Love boiled peanuts fresh from farmer market. I definitely will look out for your peanut butter post coming up! πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

Hi GreatMindfulness, I did enjoy my day yesterday..boiled peanuts are so sweet, it is how we like them the most I think. We will put them in the sun to dry out for a couple of days and when they are dry enough will make peanut butter with them, maybe have pan roast them a little as well.

Great you can get fresh boiled peanuts from your farmers market 😊

Wow that is a great way to make peanut butter, healthy and organic. πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

Yes I get them from farmer market and mix with sticky rice as a nice breakfast/dessert with sesame seeds. (It is our traditional dish). πŸ˜‹

Hope you have a great start of the week! πŸ˜πŸ‘

You traditional dish sounds lovely, it's very similar to what have called Khao Lam, it's normally cooked inside bamboo..very nice we love it. 😊

Oh wow that is very fancy to cook inside bamboo πŸ˜πŸ‘ I never had something like that πŸ€”

google.com/url?sa=t&source=... very popular in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar..

My wife's mum makes them and brings us some when she visits us.

There was a guy used to come round on his bicycle selling them but we haven't seen him for months.

Thank you for sending me the link. πŸ™ This is amazing to cook in. Not only white but also black sticky rice. As I recall my memory, I didn’t have in the bamboo tube, I had the black sticky rice served but green bean paste and coconut milk inside a banana leaf. πŸ˜‹

Lots of lovely things are cooked in banana leaf, I think I must of tried them all 😊This one in bamboo is really unbelievable how much work goes into making it, when you break it open the skin inside the bamboo stays on the sticky rice like it's warped in rice paper. Ingenious idea.πŸ™‚

Wow very interesting how you explained it. So is the skin inside the bamboo that sticks to the rice eatable? It sure makes the dish very intriguing and delicious πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

I bought some this morning from the market, we haven't seen them in the market for years, normally we buy from the guy who comes round on his bicycle and we haven't seen him for long time..lucky we went to the market very early this morning or the lady would have sold out as there was quite a few people who wanted them.I just took this photo to show you what they look like, you can see the bamboo skin can easily come off, but no ever takes it off it's just eaten as it is, no sticky fingers 😊

Have to give my mobile to on of the children now for their on line school lessons πŸ™‚

Sticky rice in bamboo

Awe Happyman4 I appreciate you took the picture to show me this wonderful dish. πŸ€—πŸ™

It looks so beautiful and delicious! πŸ˜‹πŸ‘

I’m glad you got the dessert as early birds get the worms πŸ˜πŸ‘

Thank you for showing me and Enjoy! πŸ‘πŸ˜‹

Peanuts ruleπŸ‘.Congrats you figured out how to make a good peanut post in HE. I've seen previous posts about peanuts that result in chaosπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ.

Thanks for that, πŸ˜πŸ‘

You got itπŸ‘πŸ˜.

πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ˜Š

Your peanut pic and hiba's comment of the newspaper cones has brought back sweet childhood memories. I love that your children are learning to appreciate food through hands on experience.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

Hiba's comments got me thinking for a while on a few of my memories, for a while before I could reply to her. All the children have and interest in growing their own plants from seed, they get so excited when they see things appear from the earth. And it's the best way to get them to enjoy eating vegetables..my youngest daughter can eat a handful of long beans straight from the plant that she planted from seed, she only 5 so it's not a big handful 😁

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

Its really beautiful that you're teaching them about the earth. As they mature and you continue with the lessons, hopefully an appreciation for nature will be imprinted on to their hearts. God willingly, they will carry on living a life that honours the earth.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

I very much hope that it will stay with them as they get older. I think it will as they do genuinely show a love for it..πŸ™‚

You may also like...