Gardening Tread..😊: Acerola, Barbados, or... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,344 members β€’ 9,639 posts

Gardening Tread..😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’54 Replies

Acerola, Barbados, or Thai cherry I think has the highest concentration of vitamin C then any other plant that I know of..something like 1,700 % per 100g of your daily value.

I have 5 ( I thought 4 ) of these beautiful trees and there was nothing more enjoyable then picking a few to eat early in the morning before the birds got to them, they would normally be plentiful all year round, but for some reason despite all the trees been full of flowers, hardy any have stayed on to become fruit. This little one was very sheltered among a lot of other plants on the terrace had kept some on, so I been making sure the birds never got to them..i enjoyed eating the two in the photo very much 😊

54 Replies
β€’

Love cherries. They look delicious.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

They very nice happytulip, and what a lovely thing to have the world's most powerful vitamin C pill growing on a tree..😁

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

Bit like having a super pharmacy in your back garden ☺️

Happyman4 profile image

For a short time I stay in a little house in India that was built in a very large walled garden belonging to doctor and her superstar husband. It was filled with amazing plants and trees..most every day she would walk me round the garden and tell me all about the plants and their medicinal values. That's always stayed in my mind.😊

My wife can recognize a plat the moment it has a few tiny leaves on it..so she looks after it, this one has completely covered a lime tree that we keep in a large pot. I was delighted this morning when I saw something orange coloured hiding behind the leaves. Its a bitter gourd, the Thais call it, Kee Nok 'shit bird ' its deep red inside, and it will open so the birds will eat the seeds.It's a shame the my mobile the colour yellow as it should be as the flowers are very beautiful.

Gourd from the birds 😍
Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Happyman4

Another present from the birds. Growing in a pot on the terrace that has a lime tree in it, it already has a dozen little gourds on it, we don't know yet what variety it is yet..but it will be interesting to see as it slowly gets bigger.

Gourd, but don't know which variety yet.
Happyman4 profile image

We are going to try and make our own peanut butter tomorrow for a bit of fun with the kids. But it's not going to be from these two little beauties. I been keeping this little tree in a pot on the terrace and it's the first time it had flowers and kept two of the fruits on it..it gets its name because the fruit tastes like peanut butter...I have yet to try one, and I don't really know when will be the best time to pick them.Am just so happy there on there 😊

Peanut butter tree.

I'm actually eating peanut butter now, I love it especially the smooth type. πŸ˜‹

You won't believe , my 5 year old daughter was just trying the smooth peanut butter for the first time and she loved it, its nearly finished as the boys love it to, but i am taking her shopping with me tomorrow to buy some more, and if they shell all the peanuts we have we will give it a go on making our own 😊

I'd be interested to know how you get on with that Happyman as it's something I've been thinking about too. 😊

I will let you know how we get on with it, I think it depends on how we achieve the roasting of the peanuts themselves as the are still raw. πŸ™‚

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Happyman4

Not sure I ever tried those, but I think I'd like to.πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Niao

The cherries or the peanut butter fruit ?Am getting a bit lost with putting on so many posts 😁

Niao profile image

Brilliant birdies! 😊

Happyman4 profile image

We had a bird here early morning that I had never heard the sound it made before, my wife told the birds name was.. ' did he do it ' I was sure she was mistaken or was just thinking if it was the bird who planted the gourd, but when I look it up, it was the name of that bird. 😁

Niao profile image

You're kidding? πŸ˜†

Happyman4 profile image

No, not kidding, we were both looking at the bitter gourd ( Kee Nok ) when the bird flying above was making very sounds. When I asked her what bird it was, and she told me, did he do it! πŸ˜‹

happytulip profile image

Can you eat a gourd. I have no idea?

So until today, for some reason I had associated a gourd with Baldrick from Black Adder, no idea why.

But I was relaxing in the cool of my lounge today watching Gardeners World and somehow I landed up watching one where a Thai lady had moved to the UK and had been growing a host of Thai veg. I had no idea you could eat a loufer (?spelling). I also saw gourds being planted and then later on gourd recipes came up on my phone!

Strange day! The Thai lady had a fantastic garden and it made me think of your place and a if your hard work.

I hope you managed to have a good day at the beach if it was open?

Happyman4 profile image

Yes the beaches have been open for a week now, but we didn't know until yesterday when I drove that way..the plan is to go today if everyone is up to it..4.30am now, ruff night but will be fine in a few hours. Nice to hear of the Thai lady doing well in the UK. πŸ™‚

happytulip profile image

Hope the day improves for you. Long bad nights are the worst. They seem to last forever.

Happyman4 profile image

Unfortunately for some they are forever☹ but look on the bright side, luckily we don't live forever 😁

happytulip profile image

Oh my gosh....you won't believe this. I've just been doing my "physio" which basically consists of me dancing/moving around my kitchen as best I can to music with a pair of maracas. Sounds crazy right but people say that you should dance like no one is watching. I was having a blast and then suddenly Queen came on....."Who wants to live forever."And then you just said it. Mr Mercury had some wise words I guess.

Have the best day that you can 🌷

Happyman4 profile image

😁 will do my best enjoy your dance with the the maracas..am sure it will make me smile a few times today πŸ˜‹

happytulip profile image

Changed my avatar accordingly. Good for the arms!

Happyman4 profile image

Okay that sounds good.. I think I might put on some music and do the moon dance, it's good for the legs while am frying some onions for my bulgur wheat recipe to take with me to the beach. πŸ₯³

Happyman4 profile image

Yes you can eat gourd, the one in the photo is the small green bitter gourd, there is a much bigger green bitter gourd that my wife buys sometimes, but I don't like them. Stuffed bitter gourd is okay though. The other big long and round varieties that are not bitter are very popular in this part of the world, India, China and the rest of Asia.

We normally use them in our soups, my kids like them so they must be good..πŸ™‚

happytulip profile image

Someone was planting snake gourds. The really did look like snakes on the packet. Well, everyday is a school day πŸ‘

Happyman4 profile image

We love snake gourd, lightly steamed or boiled they taste lovely just on their own.

Niao profile image

Red Wattled Lapwing! Good grief, well I never! Thank you! A new birdy for me!😊

Happyman4 profile image

That's right Niao, it was a new bird for me to in Thailand that is. πŸ™‚

Niao profile image

And a very beautiful one at that!

Happyman4 profile image

Yes it is very beautiful, and as I love the birds so much I was very happy to have seen it.😊

Niao profile image

And, I've no doubt he did do that!πŸ˜†

Happyman4 profile image

No doubt in my mind Niao, that's what all the screaming was about, frightened I was going to take his bitter gourd 😁

Niao profile image

🀣🀣🀣

Ooh they are beautiful Happyman, I agree. Thanks for sharing. 😊

Thank you springcross, it's real pleasure to share, am glad you like them 😊

Niao profile image

Adorable name!😁

Happyman4 profile image

Made me smile 😁

Niao profile image

Me too!😊

Happyman4 profile image

The bitter gourd opened yesterday and the birds eat the seeds, I will put a little bag over the next one before it opens so I get to keep the seeds and plant them in other parts of the garden.

So beautiful, but my seeds have gone.

Yes, they look tasty and they're very nutritious I understand. πŸ˜‹

They actually are very tasty, it feels great to know your getting so much vitamin C with 3 or 4 cherries...lovely 😊

Excellent! Full of nutrients.πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Hi Happyman4, beautiful cherry tree. ❀️

I managed some delicious cherries from farmer market yesterday. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Have a wonderful rest of the day! πŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸŒΊ

Thank you GreatMindfulness, past 11pm now so it's really is the time to settle down for the night. πŸ’€

You’re welcome. Have a good night and sweet dreams! πŸ˜‡ πŸ˜΄πŸ’€πŸ‘

Such a wonderful garden and beautiful plants! Thanks for sharing πŸ˜€

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zendaya

Thank you Zendaya for saying that 😊

Acerola are definitely high up there with its vitamin c content. I became really interested in incorporating them in my diet at the start of covid last year since they are rich in this vitamin.

The variety of plants in your garden is amazing, thnxs for sharing pics

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

It's wonderful to be able share 😊

Oh, Happyman! You had ideas for my jackfruit, and I have an idea for your Acerola cherry! We have an abundant tree (here in Florida) and what I do is, use a soft little paintbrush to help fertilize the little pink flowers so they set fruit.

I've read that they have an oily--or maybe heavy?--pollen that doesn't transfer all that well by insects, so I do it by hand. It's pretty easy to see the sticky pollen.

I guess I don't know for certain that my efforts actually help, but I doubt they hurt. We get a pretty decent crop (more than we can eat.)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to amykp

Thank you so much for your suggestion amykp, I will must definitely give it a try today, normally they don't do to bad, but in the last few months out of the many hundreds if not thousands of flowers very few have stayed on to fruit. It could very well be that the insects that would have normally pollinated them are just not there.

We have an abundance of tiny honey bees busy all day on the coconut flowers and other flowers, but I have never seen one visit the cherry flowers.

Wishing you good luck with your jackfruit tree and thank you again for your suggestion 😊

You may also like...