Breakfast this morning 😍: Grrr... China has... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,248 members β€’ 9,620 posts

Breakfast this morning 😍

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’58 Replies

Grrr... China has ordered 2 billion dollars worth of durian from Thailand this year, making the price of durian ( that am addicted to ) very expensive, about 30% higher for this time of the year. Good for the growers and the street sellers..but not for the poor people like me and my wife that are addicted to them.

Lucky we picked a perfect one this morning from the street seller at the end of our road that set up earlier then usual..perfect perfect perfect breakfast 😁

58 Replies
β€’

Stinky, but as you say, very very addictive! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Niao

Some people say they smell/stink, but for others the scent is like an irresistible lure. 😁

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Happyman4

🀣🀣🀣

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

I'm not sure if it's still the case now but when I was in Singapore they were banned on the MRT (tube) for being so stinky??

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

I once saw a sign on the gates of a resort on Ko Chang island saying, no dogs or durian. There no doubt that some people do find them smelly, I don't know why! πŸ€”

happytulip profile image

Because they STINK!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Happyman4 profile image

I knew you was going to say that 😏

happytulip profile image

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜·πŸ˜·πŸ˜·πŸ˜·πŸ˜·. Yet I have no idea what they taste like. I'd give them a try if I could.

Happyman4 profile image

You could be one of the very lucky one's that love the king of fruits 😊

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to happytulip

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

What exactly does it smell of Happyman - I have often wondered?

A rotting corpse on a good day.

I'm serious. They are banned from the entire Singaporean Underground network. And they have Aircon!

Happyman4 profile image

You just read thatπŸ˜’

happytulip profile image

Read what?

Happyman4 profile image

A rotting corpse on a good, that's what I read on the internet, or did you write it?

happytulip profile image

Genuinely, hand on heart, I did not copy it from anywhere. I write from my own experience. I was in Singapore visiting my brother when I came across them. And the next question, "how do you I know what a rotting corpse smells like?" The answer is my work unfortunately.

I'm always write from my own experiences.

However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't taste delicious.

Happyman4 profile image

Its amazes me how difficult a fruit can have such a huge difference in how it smells to people. I remember the first time I tried it..1991 in China, and I was scraping my tongue and washing my mouth for 4 days and couldn't get that taste out my of my mouth...moving on, 7 years ago it was the most delicious fruit I ever tasted, and buy it regularly.

But it never ever smelled anything but a nice smell.

So glad my taste buds have changed so I can eat it and love it.

happytulip profile image

Some people can smell things that others can't. Diabetic Ketoacidosis has a particular smell, it's like peardrops apparently but really, really strong. Yet I've never ever been able to smell it. My workmates thought that I was winding them up! A colleague once explained why there is a small percentage of people who can't smell certain things but that bit of pub quiz knowledge has emigrated to the back of my brain, amoungst the rules of taking a corner at hockey and how to fold posh serviettes!!πŸ˜ƒ

Happyman4 profile image

I used to make paper servietes. Really I did. It was one of my many jobs in my early teens before i joined the merchant navy, i think i lasted a whole 2 weeks on that machine. But I did it better then the guys that had been there for 20 years πŸ˜‹

Complicated when it comes to working out the science behind we differ so much with tastes and smells.

There are so many foods that make me feel sick just by the smell of them but I see people eating them with joy in their eyes.

Isinatra profile image
Isinatra in reply to happytulip

🀣

It's like different, depending on how ripe they are, so on average I would say it's a very nice sweet aromatic capturing scent that you pass by if you not got enough money in your pocket 😁

happytulip profile image

I would agree with that. I think it might be when they are over ripe that they really are strong (in my opinion)? I was stuck in an underground market in high humidity in a crowd and couldn't get away from a pallet of rotting durian. I would still try anything once though.

So best bought when not quite ripe then unless you have no real sense of smell? 😊

I'm no expert. Not even a beginner. You'll have to ask Happyman4.

I did ask Happyman.

Ripe is perfect, you can tell when there really by tapping them with a stick to hear what sound it makes if it's a hollow sound..then they will cut a piece of the thick skin so you can see and press it with your finger.You have to know what your picking or you end up with a lot of thick skin and very little fruit.

They sellers will always act in their own interests. 😁

Don't they always. It sounds like you really have to know what you're doing when chosing it then. 😊

You do, specially if your a foreigner, the rubbish they tried to palm me off with, they really hate it when I don't accept it 😁I hold the one up and point to it and say, I want this please πŸ˜‹

Good for you, at least you know what you're doing. 😊

To ask a stupid question....but which is the best way to eat them in your opinion?

Happyman4 profile image

You just eat it as it is πŸ˜‹It's got a creamy texture with a unique flavour.

There was a time that I would eat some every day, and at the end of the season I would drive around until I found some..

My youngest son and oldest daughter love it, but my oldest son and youngest daughter don't like it but never says it smells.πŸ™‚

So what exactly does China want 2 billion dollars worth of durian for? Are we talking US dollars?

Lucky you, having durian for breakfast is a great start to the day. Interestingly enough, I have no recollection of it being stinky while eating it growing up. It was delicious.

Hi Happyman4,

This is very interesting fruit and I’m glad you and your family enjoyed them as breakfast. πŸ˜‹

If I translate the name of this fruit in my motherland language, it’s called β€œalone in sadness”.πŸ˜… It is definitely very selective taste of fruit like cottage cheese and the unique aroma. Some say it’s an aphrodisiac fruit. It’s very high in calories and sugar. In my own opinion, it is not at best when it’s warm so I had it as a cold dessert. I break it apart to mix it with vanilla ice cream and sprinkle some crushed peanuts.

As always, you bring me back good memories and have a good rest of the evening. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸŒΊ

That's a lovely name for it, alone in sadness. I had to think about it for a moment. I think there is something in that, when your eating durian it does make you not want to talk, and it does have a calming effect..perhaps that's why so many people love it so much..I like to eat cooled, but just love it on its own, durian ice is very nice though. πŸ™‚

It is like savoring each single bite πŸ˜‚.

Yes many enjoy durian by itself for sure. πŸ˜‹

Always so interesting posts you create! πŸ˜πŸ‘

The savouring every bite tends to last a long time with the first bite and a lot longer with the last. I think the sadness sets in with the bite before the last bite. β˜ΉπŸ€”

I think it’s inevitable that we can get into the melancholy state when we are enjoying each bite of durian. πŸ€”πŸ˜‡

I had to look up melancholy 😁 but I suppose, yes that kind of fits in with the feeling,, mixed in with the feeling of sheer pleasure that you just want to keep to yourself😁5.30am and there's a break in the darkness, birds are talking to and at each other.

I must have a go at making durian icecream, maybe today 😊

Wow birds chirping in serenity, that’s a perfect setting for meditation right now as you just described. πŸ§˜πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ•‰

Now you are speaking my language Happyman4 πŸ˜‹πŸ‘Œ, durian icecreammmm yayyyyyy πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ

Full light now, we do get a lot of different species of birds around us, when its been raining in the night the frogs join in with the morning chorus.. it's wonderful, maybe I will record it next time and post it😁.Durian icecream it is then, 😊

That is such a wonderful idea! πŸ˜‡πŸ‘Œ

Perfect weather for durian ice cream right now, I’ll look out for your next post. πŸ˜πŸ‘

πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ˜Š

I'm not familiar with that item. What exactly is it? And how is it prepared?

BTCCET profile image
BTCCET in reply to Lazaruslong

I'm not familiar with this fruit either, but I'd be interested to know more about them?

There's quite a lot of videos on YouTube about durian showing how they are prepared, I try and put a link on that you and BTCCET can see, it will be better then me trying to explain. google.com/url?sa=t&source=...

Thank you

Thanks for the link. I watched it.Thats a lot of work to get at the fruit inside. The pod itself reminds me of a plant here in CA. Called " Wild Cucumber"

Never heard of wild cucumber, will look it up! It sounds interesting πŸ™‚

Had a look on the internet, and it not something I have seen before but am glad you mentioned it as it got me looking and I food the creeping cucumber on that page, it's something that grows everywhere in Thailand, especially in our garden. We only eat the tips of the plant, there used in soups or lightly boiled, I like eating them uncooked, but I have to keep pulling them out or they will take over the garden..the birds love the fruit on them, and a lot of birds visit our garden πŸ™‚

They grow wild here I didn't know they were edible

BTCCET profile image
BTCCET in reply to Happyman4

Thankyou Happyman 4, I'll be checking this outπŸ˜‹

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to BTCCET

πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ

Do you not have room to grow your own ?Think it’s the same family of Jack fruit which get really large, seen them growing but never had any!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Nugger

Had the room but it's not a tree that I wanted in my garden, am going to try a few on the land I bought a few years ago but only got it in April when tenants lease finished..they don't grow very good in some places, but will give it a try.Can't move around very much at the moment because of covid.

Hi Happyman, i have never heard of this Durian. But i am interested to know more. Would you mind posting more information of ingredients ... etc?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Faith33

Hi Faith33, there are no ingredients to my post, Durian is just a fruit. It's often referred to as the king of fruits..

You may also like...