Gardening thread. : I thought I would use... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,344 members9,639 posts

Gardening thread.

Happyman4 profile image

I thought I would use this post just to post a few of many photos that I enjoyed taking in the past few days of some of the different things growing in the garden.

84 Replies

This is the last of the mangos that I picked this morning...I want to air layer 3 branches for this tree, it's not big tree, but it has give us well over 50 mangos this year. Plus the many hundreds from the other trees we have had. It's a bit of a relief that this the last of them....😁

Rainbow mangos.

They look very nice Happyman, it must be wonderful to eat fresh mangoes. 😊

It is wonderful, it really is, I think we have have 8 different varieties...and we are all happy with what we have had, special watching them grow. But its enough for this year.🙂

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Happyman4

You can never have too many mangoes in my mind!😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Niao

We have had hundreds of them this year, we have all over doused ourselves on them, my wife has enough dried mango to last for the next two years, am fine with the last of the mangos, 😁

Niao profile image

The last of the Mangoes, sounds like a movie!😁Seriously though, I hardly ever get mangoes now, either I find them to be minute versions of those I used to enjoy, or/and ridiculously expensive here.

Papayas are even worse.

Happyman4 profile image

I haven't been back to London for 7 years but before that I would go back every year to see my mum, I would always find the very best mangos and carefully wrap them to take to her, she love them.As with most fruits they are at their best when the ripen on naturally.

We got a few papaya plants growing but we haven't been doing very well with them.

Both mangos and papaya are a good price when in season, but expensive when not in season. 🙂

Niao profile image

I don't know what it's like there now, haven't been since 1992, but it used to be incredibly inexpensive to buy a huge huge box full of any fruit that took your fancy in Thailand, and indeed other parts of SE Asia.I ate massive amounts if fruits while there, but nit so much back here in the UK.

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Happyman4

Ship them over to the rest of us

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

You're in the wrong direction, me first, and there won't be many/ any left!😁

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

I'll bribe him

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

Not sure Monopoly money'll cut it!😁

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

Lord have mercy, I bust out laughing.

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

😁 How are you today? Is it really warm there?

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

A bright beautiful morning. The birds are singing their morning greetings but the heat wave is still in effect. Hope you're well on your side of the pond.

Happyman, apologies for hijacking your post. Hope you dont mind the friendly banter🙂

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

Cloudier, but birds are squawking, so I'm happy! Actually I wish they'd give my head peace for a little moment, just a second even, I've had none stop demands at my window from 4.30am can you believe!😄

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

Seems like you might have some divas on your hands ;)

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

For sure!😊

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

I'll rob a bank and happily enjoy my mangoes in jail

😜

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

I'd join you for papayas! Though they're a weird one, sometimes not so sure I actually like them, but seem addicted to the strange flavour!

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Niao

You dont like papayas? Shock.. horror....faint.

Cold mango and papaya fruit salad with a sprinkle of lime and sugar is absolutely yummy

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

Oh that sounds delicious! No, I do like them, just find them an odd flavour.

I simply couldn't get enough of them when I lived abroad, particularly in smoothies.

But I don't find them the same in the UK.

springcross profile image
springcross in reply to Niao

Greedy! 😆

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to springcross

You know me so well!🤣xxx

springcross profile image
springcross in reply to Niao

🤪 xx

I know 😋

Imaaan profile image

Such a blessing to have homegrown mangoes at your disposal.

A mango a day will keep you tango dancing, all the night away

Niao profile image
Niao in reply to Imaaan

😁

This is a new tree that I planted a few years ago when it was a couple of feet high, I has given some flowers before and had some fruit on it, but as the tree was not strong enough yet they come off..this time its keeping one on and it's a bit bigger then the size of an orange, but it can grow to about 8" to 9" in diameter. Its looking very healthy so we think it will be just fine now, very happy seeing it.😊

Pink Pomelo.
Nugger profile image
Nugger in reply to Happyman4

Been tempted to plant a pomelo but we have a 20ft grapefruit tree that produces the best pink grapefruits I’ve ever tasted, there ready around December & still have some on the tree now in June.Also grown & planted seedlings & this year grafted scions from the original tree onto the seedlings, got 5 that have taken, grafted 3 persimmons too

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Nugger

One of my boys loves grapefruit I buy them just for him, they are imported, I have never seen the the trees for sale or am sure I would have bought one. Pomelo and limes and a couple of varieties of orange are the favoured citrus fruit in Thailand, maybe I should look on the internet to see if there are grapefruit trees in Thailand..

These can grow to the size of a football, we had huge one a few years ago and that still had some more growing to do, but one of my sons hit it with a football..and down it come.☹

Giant Pomelo.

Impressive indeed!😊

I have a few different varieties of limes, but the kaffir leaves are the only ones used in cooking. These little limes are ready to pick but I just love seeing them every day 😊

Kaffir lime.
Imaaan profile image

The way they are hanging is very picturesque. Lucky you

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

There resting on the wire on the pergola, they would probably would have snapped the branch had I not put them on it.😊

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Happyman4

Wow you have a garden of delicious fruits growing. You are so lucky happyman. "Last of the mangos" I would love to eat mangos all year round happily. We haven't even had our first lot here in the UK. Have you had mango smoothie. We have mango Lassi here in the UK and in India when its mango season.

You are talented in the kitchen and the garden. Your wife is blessed to have you.

What does the Pomelo taste like? Is it used like lemons and limes or do you eat it like grapefruit. I've not hear of this fruit or seen it in the UK.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zara0123

I've had mango lassie and strawberry lassie in India, but I mostly had it just plain, we was agonda for 3 months last year, just left in March when covid really started to effect the whole world. My wife is just getting a Pomelo really to eat, it not easy talking the skin off as its very thick, it has segments the same as an orange and grapefruit, but taste nothing like them. It will keep fresh for a week and longer even with the skin of as long as you don't cut into the segments.

They come in slightly different tastes, depending on the variety.

They are a mild flavour but I just couldn't describe the taste.

They do have them in England I used to buy them from the Chinese supermarket wing yip supermarket in cricklewood London over 25 years ago. You probably find where they are sold on the internet.

They are a very popular fruit in this part of the world.

Thank you for your lovely comments 😊

Happyman4 profile image

My daughter just brought me some, so I thought you might like to see what they look like inside. They are very juicy. This is from the very big ones.

Giant Pomelo.
Zara0123 profile image

Enjoy...... thank you for the pic. Will have a look and see if I can find a Pomelo here in the UK just for a try to taste.

Happyman4 profile image

👍🙂

So would I!😊

Happyman4 profile image

They are lovely Niao, we have a couple of small one's that we don't let them get big, there are some limes on there, but really we just use them for the leaves, there used a lot in Thai cooking. Perhaps I will add a couple more photos on this thread tomorrow of things that might be of interest 🙂

Niao profile image

Please do, it's great to see!😊

Happyman4 profile image

I will, for sure 🙂

Zara0123 profile image

Please do. Its interesting to see what kind of different fruits grow in different countries 🙂Love your cooking post too. Especially the Moussaka. It looked delicious 😋

Happyman4 profile image

Thank you Zara, the Moussak really was a perfect comfort food for me..I will be using the exact same method and ingredients the next time I make it. 🙂

Zara0123 profile image

I've been a silent follower and have enjoyed your cooking post. Lovely fruits growing in your garden so I had to comment.

Happyman4 profile image

Well am so glad you let me know you was there, 😊

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Zara0123

The fine lady has finally graced us with her presence ;) Happyman4, a compliment from her is akin to a Michelin star rating

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Imaaan

Appetites back. The bland food eaten on Monday with my meds has helped me Alhumdulillah. Craving all sorts today 😋

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Zara0123

Alhamdulilah indeed ;)

Zara0123 profile image
Zara0123 in reply to Imaaan

Oww you are a sweet friend 😘😘Won't let all the praise get to my head 😉

Happyman4 profile image

Yes it does feel like I just received a Michelin star 😁

Zara0123 profile image

Indian food is time consuming but is delicious to eat. Since becoming ill I do like simple meals and sometimes more healthy to eat.

Happyman4 profile image

I agree with you on that, simple meals can be very nutritious and healthy and ofcourse much less time in making.The important thing is that you eat well.🙂

It puts by crops to shame!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Am sure it doesn't, we just grow different things because of the different climates we live in🙂

Hi Happyman4, what a beautiful and magical garden of fruits you have. 😁👌 I love everything, Thai mangos are the best, so sweet and yummy. Pink pomelo is so good with some tajin salt.😋

Thank you for sharing and inspiring us with your food and garden. 😊🙏🌺

Two varieties of guava that I grow in pots. I took the photos yesterday.On the left is what is the most commonly grown in Thailand, they can get quite big, some bigger then an orange.

On the right are a small pink variety, I don't know the proper name of either.

I use to have the purple and gold varieties, but didn't look after them properly so lost them.

Guava is a very popular fruit in this part of the world. 🙂

Guava
Imaaan profile image

Two of my favorite juices growing up were guava and mango. My mom loves the former. What an enormous blessing to have them growing in your garden.

Happyman4 profile image

We absolutely love them, it one of the fruits we most buy for the kids. 🙂

Imaaan profile image

Your kids have great taste

Rosepetal60 profile image
Rosepetal60Gluten Free

Many years ago, a friend introduced me to Guava jam. It was delicious.

I've never seen guava jam in the shops, I just look it up on lazda, same as Amazon, £7 for a small jar..😳 Some years an ex pat started to do something like guava jam on his little fruit farm, I bought a small jar of him for about £6, but it was only small chunks of the pink guava inside with mostly added sugar.. ofcourse we never eat any of it..but the ones on the net look like real jam, might give it a try🙂

Rosepetal60 profile image
Rosepetal60Gluten Free in reply to Happyman4

The time that I tried guava jam was 40 + years ago. Maybe I tried some of my friends guava jam and then bought a jar myself. . Sweet but with its own flavour.

Just been talking to my wife about it, she remembers when we bought that jar. No one really eats jam now in our house, we used to buy a lot of strawberry and marmalade.

Imaaan profile image
Imaaan in reply to Rosepetal60

Never tried it in jam form but grew up drinking it and its delicious

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey thanks for sharing your photo's of your wonderful crops Happyman4 👍😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Absolutely my pleasure Jerry, I love to show what things am growing, and I love to see what other members who are interested in gardening are growing..🙂

Not seeing the pictures ?

Happyman4 profile image

I not sure why your not seeing the pictures..I've looked through my post and there all there.Are you not seeing any of them?

Nugger profile image

No, it must be my setup ? Other’s are seeing them, do you grow avocados

Happyman4 profile image

I have some young trees in pots that are doing very well, I use to a big one that I'd been growing for years, but when I had some building work done. somehow the builder's managed to kill it with washing out the cement mixer near it..It's the tailor birds favourite tree to nest in.

Nugger profile image

Ok, not just yours I can’t see lol

Will investigate further

Happyman4 profile image

Okay you do that, I hope you find out and get to see the pictures.

I know others people are seeing them & I’ve checked my settings, just can’t figure it out lol

Anyways, I too am having a go at growing mangoes & I am in Florida BUT north Florida, 120 miles north of Orlando, we have been known to get down to 15F but that’s not happened since 2010 but we still have cold fronts that come sweeping in from the north & this makes it challenging to grow, mangoes ect, just 2 hrs south to Tampa & it’s another world, you go from sub tropical to tropical lol

Yorkshire born & bred

Happyman4 profile image

It's worth having a go at growing them, you never know until you tried. Am sorry you can't see what I posted, if you have something you want to post you can try posting in on this thread, see what happens.

Nugger profile image

I’ve posted before, no problem

Happyman4 profile image

Okay, are you seeing pictures from other posts, or is it just this one ?

Nugger profile image

Just this one

Happyman4 profile image

☹ gremlins

Nugger profile image

I reported the problem & was told to delete the app & use my browser & now I see the pictures

Happyman4 profile image

That's great, am pleased it got sorted.

You may also like...