Halloumi, first try 😬: I finely managed to... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,895 members β€’ 9,764 posts

Halloumi, first try 😬

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4
β€’27 Replies

I finely managed to make my first halloumi, not perfect by far, but as it's my attempt am giving myself top marks for making the effort.

I love this cheese and sometimes buy it. But at about Β£6.50 for just one of those small pieces you see in the photo, it's very expensive.

The 8 litres of full fat milk it took to make it myself cost Β£10.

I love to eat cold with water melon, but mostly we eat it fried in olive oil as a snack 😁

Will fry some a bit later 😁

27 Replies
β€’

I've never tried it Happyman, what kind of flavour does it have?

Hard to describe it really as it's a unique flavour and there is nothing to compare it with. I found this on the net, it's fairly accurate but I don't find it at all bitter when it's not cooked. Give it a try if you like cheese.

Not bitter at all to me.

Many thanks. x

Your welcome πŸ™‚

πŸ‘

Its cost effective to make it yourself, as so many things are. So good on you for giving it a go. Your first attempt looks good

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Imaaan

Thanks lmaaan, it made a very nice evening meal, and I really am delighted that it was so good on my first attempt. πŸ™‚

Fried homemade halloumi πŸ‘

Evening meal..fried halloumi and salad with a few chips..
Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Happyman4

Wow, that looks great! :-)

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Zest

Thank you Zest,, It doesn't get better, homemade halloumi and most everything for the salad was homegrown πŸ™‚

That looks very good, Happyman4. I love halloumi and mostly have it with a crunchy salad 😁

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Dovedale4

Thank you Dovedale4, it is lovely in a salad, had it like that many times. πŸ™‚

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey your halloumi looks so good I’d love some and imagine it tastes as good as it looks. So you enjoy it as well as saving money you’ve enjoyed making it so nice one.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thanks Jerry, it was very enjoyable, and the salad made up of herbs was also homegrown πŸ™‚

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Happyman4

Hey even better Happyman4 πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Congratulations on your first try of making halloumi cheese! It looks legit πŸ˜πŸ‘

Thank you GreatMindfulness, I fried some and had it with a homegrown herb salad, perfect 😊

You’re welcomed. May I ask wouldn’t cheese melt if you fry it? πŸ€”

No that is what halloumi is famous for, it's the process in how it made the stops it form melting. It's a very simple process to follow if you want to make some..πŸ™‚

I admire your effort, it looks really good.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

Thanks happytulip, it really was well worth it πŸ™‚

happytulip profile image
happytulip in reply to Happyman4

I can't tolerate cow's milk but am ok with goat or sheeps cheese. I have no idea how to make halloumi. Can you do it with goat milk? I guess the flavour would be much stronger.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to happytulip

As a little boy I would help to milk the goats and help to make the halloumi.It was originally made with either goat or sheep milk, going a thousand years and more.

Goat and sheep milk, I think make the best halloumi, I would use it myself if I could find it, the process of making it is really very simple.

I just came across this post.That cheese looks wonderful!

I'm going to have to get more information about this.

I wonder if one can make it with goats milk? I have a free source of goats milk available to me

Subtle_badger profile image
Subtle_badger in reply to

Halloumi is typically made with goat or sheep's milk.

This post inspired me to google the recipe. This one looks simple and doable.

wholesome-cook.com/2012/07/...

in reply to Subtle_badger

Thanks !

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to

You are so lucky to a free source of goats milk, I very much wished I had. I have thought many times of keeping goats just for their milk so I can make halloumi in the same way we did when I was a little boy.This was my first attempt to making my own halloumi, I was a bit nervous at first, but I found the whole process actually relaxing and very enjoyable, I didn't use a thermometer, I just remembered how my mum used to make it.

Great memory trip to 😊

Had some last night with cold water melon 😍

You may also like...