Breakfast this morning. : A favourite dish of... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,971 members9,793 posts

Breakfast this morning.

Happyman4 profile image

A favourite dish of mine is asparagus with eggs and plum tomatoes fried in a little olive oil, garlic and fresh ginger. My wife cooked it this morning beautifully, but I remembered that some of the little plum tomatoes were ripened that are growing on the balcony so picked some to add to what my wife had cooked..really lovely.

35 Replies
Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey that’s an impressive breakfast Happyman4 and how nice having your own home grown tomatoes. 😊

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I love asparagus for any meal, and it been very low on the Glycaemic Index is a bonus as I eat quite a lot of it.I got a few cherry plum tomatoes plants that are loaded with fruit at the moment, but it will be a few more weeks before the chocolate plum tomatoes begin to ripen that I been growing form seed..straight from the fresh tomato.

google.com/url?sa=t&source=...

I put on a quick video explaining about asparagus, grapefruit and buckwheat flour that I been using.

Some members might find it interesting..

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Happyman4

Hey this is a really interesting video Happyman4 as I don't have to worry about carbs or the GI of foods so this interested me a lot.I think thats so interesting that eating a grapefruit can lower our blood sugar levels and is very useful for diabetics and pre-diabetics so thank you I hope other members find it valuable info. 👍

Now I'm also growing tomatoes and my tomato plants are nearly 10 cm's so no flowers yet!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Jerry

Look forward to seeing your tomatoes, I love growing plants and seeing what other grow.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Happyman4

Hey thanks and me too. 👍

I love asparagus too Happyman4, do you grow your own? Here is a photo of mine. 🙂

Asparagus.

I used to grow quite a lot a few years ago but for some reason I took them out. I think it was because asparagus became very popular in Thailand and it became very cheap to buy very fresh asparagus in our local market..I do have some regrets though as I use to eat one or two when walking around the garden.

Gone but not forgotten ☹

I haven’t eaten them raw, more nutritious than cooking them I should think. I’m having them today for lunch. 🙂

My favourite pastime is to pick and eat whatever is growing on my early morning walks in the garden. It's got me thinking that maybe I should buy another couple of asparagus plants and start again.

I can’t think why not, there’s nothing better than growing your own. I noticed in your earlier post that you had some regrets that you had taken them out. 🙂👍

You got me thinking to try again, so I bought 6 new ones to plant..I always wondered why I took the other ones out..

Try again 😊

I’m glad you decided to buy some more plants, they look very healthy. Now you can look forward to eating some in the mornings as you walk round your garden. 🙂

Yep, actually I really missed them. It will take a while to get them looking good, but am going to prepare the soil properly tomorrow. 🙂

Great, how long do you think it will be until you will be harvesting them? 🙂

They already have some very thin ones in them, but last time I think I took about 6 months or so before they they started getting big..the soil wasn't very good at that time, this time I will put more effort into it.Just have to wait and see. In the meantime I just have my cherry plum tomatoes and a couple of long beans and a few baby egg plants when I have my morning walk. Lots of other things growing that are not quitereallyyet, just have to wait 🙂

Do you have avocados? I have two small trees but don’t expect any fruit as I don’t think the UK climate is warm enough. 🙂

I did have a very nice one but the builders I had in at the time somehow killed it. I got two now growing in pots that I will plant in our new farm when the restrictions on travel gave been lifted and I feel safe to travel. We only just got the land last month, but I bought it two years ago and had to wait for the tenants leases to finish.

I have lot trees to plant there...soon I hope.

If. And i say if you have an expectantly hot long summer then they might fruit..but I think the last time that happened was in 1976..😁

You have a busy time ahead with the tree planting. Your climate will be more conducive for fruiting than ours, I won’t hold my breath for a long hot summer. I remember the summer of 1976 very well, the lawn was yellow instead of green. 🙂🥑

Me to my mother had a big loquat tree and it was the only time it ever had fruits on it..Though her green fig trees would do really well every year.

I used to grow some amazing fruits and vegetables in the UK. Loved growing roses to.

I haven’t heard of loquats, are they similar to kumquats? I love fresh figs but have never been sure if you can eat the whole fruit or take the outer skin off.

I have some very old roses that my dad planted approx. 40 years ago which are still producing some lovely flowers. l am not able to look after them as I would like to but they still keep on giving. 🙂🤞

You can eat the whole fig, of any variety., loguats are not the same as kumquats the oranges, I have a couple of then in pots and I like to eat them with the skin on..Shame you find it difficult to look after your Rose's. Maybe ask someone to cut them back a bit just once a year.

I’ve just looked up loquats out of interest, apparently they are a distant relative of the rose. I manage to prune my roses but haven’t been feeding them or clearing the weeds around them. I will have a go soon. 🙂

I didn't know that they were distant relative of the rose, that actually fits in with when they are fully ripe they do leave a taste of something like a rose flavour in your mouth for quite sometime. I did grow one from seed about 8 years ago from some fruit that I brought back from England, it grew to about a metre in two years..things happened and I lost it..I have seen them for sale on the net, but very expensive for a tiny little thing. Am still thinking about it though as its one of my all time favourite fruits. I was in Cambodia recently and they had packet in a supermarket of I think 8 loquats for $14 and I had to buy them..a couple of time.. couldn't save the seeds as it was a long time before I could get back home to Thailand..☹

They sound delicious, it’s a shame you lost your tree especially after the efforts you made to grow it. Is there nowhere that you can buy the seeds in Thailand? I expect you have already tried. 🙂

I can buy the green jujube trees any time from my local market and the are very cheap, about $3 each, My wife found the chocolate jujube fruit tree on the internet the 3 am showing you work out to $30 for the 3..and they are just twigs ready, we might buy one but have to think about it first.

Pricey

You could try buying Loquat seeds on ebay, not expensive but I don’t know what the postage would be. 🙂

I ordered 4 plants yesterday, they are very small but they do grow very. I did think about seeds and I might still try some..keeps me busy..time to settle the kids down for the night..🙂

Here’s a photo of one of my avacado trees, they are growing very quickly. 🙂🥑

Avocado tree.

Thank you for the link, there is some very interesting information about asparagus on the video. I didn’t realise it is good for you in more ways than one. 🙂

I was very pleased with the information on the asparagus to..the grapefruit info was also very interesting as I give on of my sons who had a weight problem a half to eat every other day.

This is one of my favorite dish I usually prepare, a great balance of flavor and vegetables. Your wife is such a talented and healthy cook. Plum tomatoes are very sweet and juicy. Love your food posts, always make me feel hungry looking at them. 😁👍

It's just daylight now time to go out find something to eat in the garden and on the terrace. Am hungry..😊

If I’m not mistaken you are from Thailand. I love street food from the night market, the best papaya salad they make right there n then, extremely spicy.😅😋👍 I’m from the US though but I always remember my trip there. 😁

Yes I do live in Thailand, 14 years now.. just come back in after having a bit to eat from a few of the plants I have growing. I did wonder where you lived from what you are growing, and you do look like your from this part of the world.

Love papaya salad to.🙂

Yes I live in California so the weather is very nice and warm that people can even grow lychee, mangos, Star fruits in their backyard over here. I love Thai food and fruits, so delicious and various. As I remember it is always crowded and so much fun in Thailand, I hope you and your wife have a beautiful Friday night paint the town red. 😁👌

You may also like...