Home-made Banana Ice-cream :-): Hi everyone... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,895 members9,764 posts

Home-made Banana Ice-cream :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

Last night, I made some home-made banana ice-cream. I used 2 bananas, a small pot of double cream and also a quarter of a pot of clotted cream. I blended those ingredients together with a fork, until it was a smooth consistency (took about 3 minutes) and then froze it in a container. We made 4 portions from that mixture. Last night it was a lovely consistency (after approx 2 hours in the freezer) and this evening it was much harder - so I think it's nice to make it fresh, rather than keep it too long. A bit of a treat on a hot sunny day.

If you don't like to include cream, then just mashing a banana and freezing gives a less calorific and also tasty ice-cream. :-)

I've made it again today, this time using 3 medium bananas and 1 small pot of Guernsey double cream (142ml), and used 8 small containers - so I can have just a small portion at a time - each container had approx 4 teaspoons of mixture in it:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

Jerry has done a plant-based version here:

Zest :-)

p.s. I found an old post I'd done which was some delicious Strawberry and Coconut Popsicles:

24 Replies
Zest profile image
ZestStar

I have just spotted one of Jerry's ice-creams - it's a 'sugar-free banana and cashew ice-cream, and is Vegan - so that's another option:

Zest profile image
ZestStar

StillConcerned - I hope you don't mind my tagging you, but I remember that you like ice-cream made via frozen cream, and I wondered if you do anything different to yours? I didn't follow a recipe, I just thought I'd put it together and see what happened, and I liked the result. :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hidden also has a really tasty ice-cream here, with her recipe - it looks REALLY good:

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hey your banana ice cream looks and sounds delicious Zest I'm sure you enjoyed it especially as it’s been so hot I had some ice cream with poached apples...😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry

Lovely combination with poached apples. Yum!

Here is Jerry's ice-cream with poached apples:

I bet that went down well Zest.

Alicia 😊xx

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

Hi Alicia,

It was very nice indeed.

Zest :-) xx

in reply to Zest

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Zest.

Alicia xx😋😊

Yum that looks delicious Zest, i will have to try that :)

Have a good week.

BB :) xx

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to blackbeauty99

Hi BB,

I hope you like it. It was easy to do. I was surprised how well it worked.

Wishing you a good week.

Zest :-) xx

As many know I don't just do vegan but aim for the healthy end - and that means avoiding refined sugar, coconut oil and cashews all of which are staples for vegan ice-creams.

My goto is frozen ripe bananas, fully defrosted and blended with dates, vanilla essence, and cacao powder and hazelnuts which is very rich & indulgent. Sometimes I start with aqauafaba which dilutes and turns the result into a mousse.

Today I blended aquafaba and added figs and cinammon and a few wholewheat digestive biscuits. Thus ending with a very Ben & Jerry's feel. (Yes I know the digestives have sugar in them so just a couple are added and it really is about the final texture.)

These get frozen into individual sized pots because without the fat then in a large box they take hours to defrost, wheras individually they can be eaten almost straight away, as one does an ice-cream.

In the pots they can be put into a cool bag (perhaps with ice blocks) and taken on picnics.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to andyswarbs

Hi andyswarbs

Your ice-cream sounds really tasty. I shall have to look up 'aquafaba' - and will do so later. Thanks for sharing how you make it, and I like the idea of the individual sized pots too.

Hope you're enjoying the week so far.

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator in reply to Zest

Aquafaba is the water you drain out of a tin of chickpeas (or other beans). You can make meringues with it (although when I tried, it failed miserably!)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Cooper27

Thanks, much appreciated. :-)

andyswarbs profile image
andyswarbs in reply to Cooper27

Yes, getting meringues can be done but it takes a bit of practice - and possibly some icing sugar. The liquid can also be used for many other uses where you want a lighter and/or more bubbly texture - including cakes. In terms of denseness and texture it also comes out better than just water, which often ends up feeling like a sweetened block of ice!

Cooper27 profile image
Cooper27Administrator

I'm a big fan of N'ice cream :)

This weekend I'm hoping to buy some mango to blend with coconut milk, to make mango and coconut ice cream :) I haven't made it before, so I hope it'll turn out ok.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Cooper27

Hi Cooper27

That sounds really exciting - lovely blend of flavours there - and I hope it turns out well.

That looks so gorgeous Zest, I’m definitely going to try that!

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Trimmerteacher

Hi Trimmerteacher

I'll definitely make some again sometime, it was delicious!

That sounds delicious and naturally sweet too. I don’t have a sweet tooth and find ‘shop bought’ ice cream far too sweet. I shall definitely make some. Do you think it would be okay to use an electric hand whisk or do you think it will over blend it.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Lesley1234567

Hi Lesley1234567

I must admit, I really don't know - it's the first time I've attempted to do it. :-)

You can always experiment though, and see what you think. Hope it turns out well, and you enjoy it.

Lesley1234567 profile image
Lesley1234567 in reply to Zest

Thank you I’m sure we will enjoy it

The ice cream sounds delicious but also high in calories??? If you just slice ripe bananas, freeze overnight and then using a food processor, process them until they turn to a super smooth ice cream, and very healthy.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Alfiebeau

Hi Alfiebeau

Thanks, I shall also try the frozen banana method too. It does sound very tasty.

You may also like...