Sugar & Salt Reduction Government Reports (UK) - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating
45,408 members8,289 posts

Sugar & Salt Reduction Government Reports (UK)

Zest
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

A couple of reports that might be of interest:

Sugar Reduction Plans (UK):

gov.uk/government/collectio...

Also, (I realise it's for 2017) but still of interest: Salt Reduction Targets (UK):

gov.uk/government/publicati...

Zest :-)

17 Replies
oldestnewest

"Breakfast clubs can contribute to improved attainment, attendance and overall health. This is why the government recently announced that £10 million a year of revenue from the soft drinks levy will fund the expansion of healthy breakfast clubs. "

A laudable aim. However, since the UK government is still obsessed with low-fat diets:

"By the time your child is 5 they can eat a healthy low-fat diet like the one recommended for adults."

... I can't help wondering exactly what kids are likely to be given (and told) at such breakfast clubs. "Wholewheat cereal biscuits" [Weetabix] with skimmed milk and no sugar, with some margarine on toast, perhaps? Yup, that'll learn 'em.

I'm pretty sure we'll still have the same number of fat kids in ten years time, or possibly more, and the government experts will be awarding themselves another, erm, healthy budget in order to get their superstitions and cargo-cult science into even more impressionable young heads.

I am doing LCHF and feel amazing and losing between 1-1.5lbs a week. My IBS has gone! I find it really hard not to harp on about it to family, friends and work colleagues - now I know about it I just want my family especially to change to it for their health. No one is taking me up on it at present :( I have a family member who had a stint operation and is now on a medley of medication for this and is following the low fat advice..eating low fat cheese, spreads etc. He looks at me in horror when I tell him what I have been eating...and my cholesterol levels have come down...I have offered him some books to read about it but it's a no...

Kaz747
Kaz747Star
in reply to NoMoreJunk

I’m looking forward to reading this book over the Christmas break, “A Fat Lot of Good” written by a leading sports doctor.

booktopia.com.au/a-fat-lot-...

NoMoreJunk
NoMoreJunk
in reply to Kaz747

I will have to have a read of this too!

Seriously? Complete remission of your IBS? You must be absolutely over the moon about that. I had a housemate at uni with IBS and it really made life miserable for her.

Isn't it funny how people just don't want to hear it? It's sad, but I find it absolutely fascinating how difficult it is for people to change their beliefs in the face of hard evidence. I also have several (male) family members who have run the gauntlet of massive surgical procedures despite "eating healthy" their whole lives and are now on a cocktail of pills and hovering at death's door.

Me, my cardiovascular system is apparently still in top-notch condition, despite the fact that I eat a "heart attack on a plate" for breakfast every day.

Kaz747 I had a look for that on Amazon when you mentioned it elsewhere, but apparently it's not available yet. It does sound interesting.

It's amazing - as soon as I eat too many carbs it's back! I have to avoid too many of some veggies - such as butternut squash and sweet pointed peppers as these can trigger some bloating a little bit but I guess they are the higher carb veggies. I do love them though lol

All I am getting is 'think about your heart and arteries' and looks of disapproval. It seems to be my parents generation (late 50's) and above that struggle the most but I guess they were indoctrinated in to the low fat high carb ways and this has been the advice for most of their life. I worry because I can see some of my family heading towards a heart attack and/or diabetes. I will keep working on it ;)

That's incredible. So pleased to hear you've had such a good result. Interesting that you have to stay virtually "keto" to stay on an even keel. I wonder how many other people have dipped their toes in the low-carb pond but didn't go low enough to get the result you did?

It's bizarre how people are so convinced that fat "causes heart disease" they're prepared to risk diabetes ... which definitely does cause heart disease. I notice the health experts have found a way to keep people on this path: tell them that fat also causes diabetes. There's absolutely no evidence for this, or any theoretical basis for it, but people tend to believe what they're told.

I have a friend whose father (in his 80s, with advanced T2 diabetes) absolutely refuses to try LCHF, because his diabetes nurse has warned him away from it. In the past few months he's been rushed to the ER with diabetes-related complications, and he's had his toes amputated. Even if the nonsense about saturated fats were actually true, wouldn't it be worth taking the risk to avoid that sort of thing?

I definitely think I won't be able to up the carbs without some symptoms. I do sometimes deviate though if I decide something is worth the discomfort for a couple of days but not much stuff is really. I can eat so much food I like on this way of eating I am happy anyway!

It's absolutely crazy - surely it worth a try if what they are doing is causing them to have surgery! I am going to keep gently guiding my family...

My friend did slimming world and lost a stone. She thinks slimming world is amazing and people are a lot more on board with her even though it's high carb low fat :(

I have found it on the book depository but it's nearly £20!

Kaz747
Kaz747Star
in reply to NoMoreJunk

Wow, a bit expensive but it could be a worthwhile investment. Another book I was listening to a podcast about this week and have yet to buy is “The Truth About Food: Why Pandas Eat Bamboo and People Get Bamboozled” by Dr David Katz MD.

amazon.com/Truth-About-Food...

What I like about this book and “A Fat Lot of Good” is that they are both written by experienced medical doctors who now know that the healthy eating guidelines we were told about for the last 30 or 40 years are wrong. I’m 54 and when I was a child there were very few overweight people. Now in Australia (and it’s similar in other Western countries) 2/3 of adults and 1/4 of kids are overweight or obese. “Big food” fattens is up the “Big pharma” drugs us to help us cope with the illness that our diets and sedentary, stressful lifestyles create.

TheAwfulToad
TheAwfulToad
in reply to Kaz747

I predict the book will be trashed in the press by the diet mafia, sales will fall, and we'll be able to get copies sometime next year at a lower price :)

Kaz747
Kaz747Star
in reply to TheAwfulToad

Here’s another interesting podcast I listened to on this morning’s walk. Lots of interesting info and no purchase necessary 😃

itunes.apple.com/au/podcast...

Kaz747
Kaz747Star
in reply to TheAwfulToad

He’s an Australian doctor and it’s available on Australian sites, not sure about international but surely in this day and age it should be able to be ordered online from one of them and shipped. If I can find anything out about it I’ll let you know.

NoMoreJunk
NoMoreJunk
in reply to Kaz747

Thank you :)

I abhor this kind of scheme, and agree TAD, that it will get nowhere fast. Full of processed foods this beara no relation to real food.

Long live the WFPB diet.

They could at least get their messages straight, couldn't they? On the one hand they tell people to avoid processed food, and then hand out a list of healthy-eating advice that contains lots of processed food.

Jerry
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest, I think it's sad when legislation has to be passed to protect the consumer...'us'

Thanks for posting this as its good guidance. 😊

You may also like...