Minestrone Soup - A Healthy Soup :-) - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

51,179 members9,314 posts

Minestrone Soup - A Healthy Soup :-)

Zest
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

I'd normally put this in 'Eating out' as I went to a café for this meal - but it's a Minestrone Soup, and I considered it to be a 'Healthy Soup' so I'm going to put it in that category.

I am now thinking, that I don't remember making a Minestrone soup before - so I'm wondering if any of you have, and if you have any recipes that you could share, or helpful suggestions?

I will also have a look around online to see what recipes come up - and I will hope to do a homemade Minestrone soup, once I find something I like the look of.

Not for a while though, but when I do find something, I will update and link it to this thread.

Zest :-)

6 Replies

Minestrone is one of those things that can be adapted to whatever you have on hand (within reason!) because there's no one "correct" recipe for it. Italians probably have knock-down fights over the matter.

As with any good soup, the key is a good stock. After that, the crucial ingredients seem to be beans, onions, garlic, celery, tomato, and some sort of pasta or noodle filler. Plus whatever else you want to throw in there. Personally I like to use a beef stock, but apparently it would have been vegetarian in its traditional form.

Zest
ZestStar in reply to TheAwfulToad

Hi TheAwfulToad

Thanks very much for that information - very helpful and interesting. :-) I really enjoyed the one I had for lunch, so if I can re-create something resembling that, I will be extremely happy.

that looks very tasty Zest. I think its in the correct category. I did see a recipe for Minestrone soup not long ago but i cant remeber as im always looking at recipes but i remeber thinking that i'v never seen so many ingredients in one meal before as what was in the soup. it was full of bits of veg tomatoes celery beans and even other things i cant remeber, full of goodness. Im sure you enjoyed it and the rose is lovely too. i can smell it in my mind. xoxo

Zest
ZestStar in reply to grace111

Hi Grace,

Thanks so much - and it sounds like there are lots of healthy ingredients in Minestrone, so it sounds incredibly healthy and sustaining.

I love that you can smell that rose in your mind - you have a good imagination!

Zest :-) xx

Jerry
JerryAdministrator

This looks lovely Zest and very healthy, I think the healthy soup topic was a great idea. The white rose looks looks really pretty too, so I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch. 😊

Zest
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thanks, and I am very glad that you set-up the Healthy Soup category - it is going to be well used and hopefully will grow over time, as more people add in their soups.

Yes, the white rose was very pretty - the café usually has some fresh flowers - so I like to appreciate them. :-)

You may also like...