Healthy Eating
37,630 members6,284 posts

Cauliflower & Mustard Seed Soup Recipe (plant-based, gluten-free soup)

Hi everyone,

I went to the library on the weekend and one of the recipe books I took out is called:

"Soupologie: Plant-Based, Gluten-free Soups to Heal, Cleanse & Energise" - and the author of the book is Stephen Argent.

I have just tried his soup for:

"Cauliflower & Mustard Seed Soup" and I have put my adaptations in brackets, as I rarely manage to follow a soup recipe exactly. I like to adapt it for my own preferences, or for what I have available at the time ingredients-wise.

Ingredients

1 cauliflower, washed, trimmed and diced (I didn't trim it - I included the green parts because I fancied eating them once roasted alongside the soup - so that is what I did, and they were tasty, and I also kept it fairly intact - i.e. I didn't really dice it - I just roughly cut it up, as you can see from my photo).

3.5 tbsp. rapeseed oil (I used olive oil and 'drizzled' it so unsure of my exact quantity)

2 large onions, peeled and diced

3 strips lemon zest

2 tsp wholegrain mustard

1.1 litre (1.75 pints) vegetable stock

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Roast the cauliflower in a hot oven (220'C/425'F/Gas Mark 7) for 30 minutes, until the edges just begin to turn golden.

Caramelise the onion in the oil for 5-10 minutes.

Add the cauliflower and lemon zest to the onion. Cook on a medium to low heat for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the wholegrain mustard, followed by the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for around 8-10 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely soft.

Take the soup off the heat and carefully remove the lemon zest.

Blend until completely smooth and season to taste.

Serves 4-6.

I served mine with a fresh panini bread roll and some brazil nut butter. It was extremely tasty. The soup looks quite a grey colour when finished, and a bit like a porridge consistency, but it is very yummy. I think that adding some cheese to it would make it richer in flavour - but it was lovely as it was. :-)

Zest :-)

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey Zest this looks perfect for me, as its a delicious looking soup with great ingredients.

So thanks for the recipe. 😊

2 likes

Hi Jerry

I enjoyed it, and it was fun to try something I'd not done before.

1 like

That looks gorgeous!

thanks for the recipe!

2 likes

I bet the addition of cream cheese at the end, or even just cream, or both woukd make the colour prettier although it looks good to me as is to be honest! Not grey! Cream or cream cheese would make it more filling and good for lchf people like myself I guess !

1 like

Hi HappyBeee

You're right, it would be lovely with either of those additions - and I like the description of the colour 'Cream' instead of 'Beige' or 'Grey' - actually, the author of the recipe book has colour coded the soups, and it was described as a 'White' soup - so that was interesting.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Looks perfect to me as well, I will give this one a try over the weekend. Thank you Zest

1 like

Hi Debs,

I hope you enjoy it.

1 like

Zeat just discovered this one and have a head of cauliflower that needs to be used will make with dinner this night. Love the idea of the idea of the addition of cream we are keto, may spice up with some hot pepper for my husband.

1 like

Hi cherv

I feel sure you'll hopefully enjoy it! :-) I think spicing it up sounds great too!

I'll let you know, thanks!

1 like

Great! :-)

You may also like...