Healthy Eating
31,294 members4,288 posts

I’m new

Hi guys looking for inspiration to change my diet I have T2 and it’s just not working. Taste is the most important thing for me I did have eggs Benedict Royale for breakfast today and that’s it till supper tonight.

38 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi theeatingmachine,

Have you talked with your doctor about counting carbs for each meal and snack? Do they want you to do an exercise routine? Have you been put on a low carb high fat diet or a low carb high protein diet plan? Are you allergic to anything food or medication wise?

I’ve got an appointment this Thursday to check out everything apart from taking metformin and diet that’s it.

What’s your A1c?

Between 5.7 - 8.

What do you usually eat for each meal and snack?

Cereal for breakfast, granary sandwich’s for lunch as I’m st work then for supper mainly chicken and vegetables with rice or potatoes.

Do you like sweet potatoes? Those are lower carbs. than regular white baked potatoes.

No cant stand them. Sorry

It’s okay! Not everyone is going to like the same things.😀

That's a lot of carbohydrate. Cereal, bread, rice and potatoes will all destabilise your blood sugars. There's a lot of recent research which suggests that simple and processed carbohydrates are bad for us - eating them makes diabetes and weight loss management near impossible. There are a lot of good low carb resources online which would be well worth a look. Good luck! x

1 like

Activity2004 -- I have not seen much about low carb high protein diet. How much protein - 40 % - 60 % ?

will that hurt kidney in a long run or have uric acid problem ?

No, the protein will be okay as long as you don’t eat too much. You have to space it out through the day and ask your doctor if you can get put on the diet, first.

Protein 0.8 -1.5 g/ kg body weight.20% of the caloric requirements.

Thank you - I know about this - did NOT know about 20 % - of calories.

I was asking about Low Carb High Protein Diet -

1 like

For healthy eating and a healthy life one needs to cut off carbs to @150 g per day for non diabetics and @50 for diabetics.Lesser the carbs better is the health. No to simple carbs like sugar and refine flour etc.

1 like

Noodles, pasta dishes, soups, salads, protein rich diet with fish or chicken. There is yogurt with fruits. Lots of stir fry with vegetables. Google, YOUTUBE, has lots of ideas.

2 likes

The poster has diabetes. Noodles and pasta will do nothing except raise her blood sugar.

Yes and to much carbs

Hi Hidden

Welcome to the Healthy eating forum. Diabetes UK have a website, which talks about Diet, and might be helpful to you:

diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-th...

Zest :-)

2 likes

Hidden : I really suggest diabetes.co.uk rather than the .org site. As a diabetic, your body has ceased to use carbohydrates for energy. When they are digested to sugars, they literally have nowhere to go because your body's cells are not listening to the insulin signal from your pancreas. Eating them will do you nothing but harm, and drugs like metformin can only mask the symptoms until your body eventually caves in under the onslaught of stuff that it can't handle.

Your best option is to go to "backup power", i.e, fat. Apart from the diabetes.co.uk site, you might be interested in joining the LCHF forum.

For what it's worth: I mentioned elsewhere about a family member who was diagnosed T2 last month, and was prescribed a LCHF diet by her doctor. As of today, her blood sugar is just somewhat above normal (down from about 3x what it ought to be) and her metformin prescription was reduced drastically. It's entirely possible she'll be drug-free eventually.

3 likes

Forget about taste - you can add some spices and develop taste later- once you learn several low carb recipes - start LCHF diet - get more info on LCHF - in here from search box -

Join Diabetes India forum here -

Monitor frequently - avoid sugar spikes - after meal

1 like

I know I am a lonesome voice here. But good health is not a popularity contest.

For my money good high carb diet is the proven way to get rid of diabetes from your life permanently. When I say proven, I don't mean anecdotes, instead I mean what the research shows.

Yes low carb will reduce weight and so reduce diabetes as a consequence but high carb addresses the cause of the problem as well as fully addressing all other chronic health issues caused by diet.

5 likes

Andy, diabetes is a derangement of carbohydrate metabolism. It is defined as a partial or complete failure to extract energy from carbohydrates.

While your proposed diet might work for people with normal insulin function, giving a diabetic carbohydrates is like giving a snickers bar to someone with a peanut allergy.

More specifically diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance, and carbs are not the only cause of this, or even the primary one.

Obviously you don't want to give diabetics pure sugar, but low GL complex carbohydrates can be fine.

1 like

It's irrelevant what the cause is. Once a body is at this extreme endpoint of insulin resistance, dietary carbohydrates cannot be used, at least not in any significant quantity. It's really that simple. A diabetic's calories are going to be predominantly from fat because no other alternative is available.

Certainly some Type 2 diabetics might be able to handle a few low-GI carbs, and a LCHF diet for diabetics generally includes those - not because they're necessary, but because a diet without them is unpleasantly monotonous.

The question remains: why would a diabetic want to attempt to eat carbohydrates? Is there any conceivable benefit in doing so?

1 like

It's relevant because you are telling people diagnosed with diabetes that 1) it's caused by carbohydrate metabolism and 2) they should not be eating carbohydrates.

Those claims are not true, (and if you are now saying that the cause is irrelevant why did you state a cause in the first place?)

For the benefit of the viewers here, it's important to make the disclaimer that no one on this site is medically qualified, we can only report our beliefs and experiences, and if you have been diagnosed with diabetes you should seek and follow qualifed advice.

If you look at mainstream medical advise on diabetes treatment for example here

mayoclinic.org/diseases-con...

On diet they say:

"Contrary to popular perception, there's no specific diabetes diet. You'll need to center your diet on more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains — foods that are high in nutrition and fiber and low in fat and calories — and cut down on saturated fats, refined carbohydrates and sweets. In fact, it's the best eating plan for the entire family. Sugary foods are OK once in a while, as long as they're counted as part of your meal plan."

Nothing there about avoiding carbohydrates as a food group.

1 like

While I might not be "medically qualified", I understand enough about metabolism to know that a diabetic body is unable to use any significant quantity of carbohydrate for energy. The mechanism for pushing glucose into the Krebs cycle is fundamentally kaput. That is what diabetes is. Do you disagree? If so, by what means do you think a diabetic body processes dietary carbs?

Give a diabetic sufficient carbs and they will die. Death, in scientific studies, is generally accepted as a 'hard endpoint', ie., one which is objectively beyond dispute.

The idea that there is "no specific diabetic diet" is such patent nonsense in that context that I can't believe it even needs explaining, and I'm frankly appalled at the advice given out by the Mayo clinic.

I'm curious what you think the actual cause(s) of diabetes might be if the most obvious one (carbohydrate overload) is discounted as a politically-incorrect answer?

I think the key phrase in your post is "mainstream medical advise". That is the problem right there. Mainstream medical advise is currently being proven wrong on so very many fronts, but change comes very, very slowly with huge institutions like this. We've all been trained to believe that "healthy whole grains" are good for you, that you need x number of servings a day, and fats are evil. All this is being proven wrong, and not just with anecdotal evidence, though that is now overwhelming. Resistance to the LCHF way of thinking gets downright vitriolic, but then anything that contradicts mainstream thought will evoke that kind of a response. It's to be expected. All it takes is an objective look at the big picture. Does mainstream medical advise result in reversed diabetes? Ever?? No. Just more meds to "manage symptoms". Peachy. Does LCHF reverse diabetes? Yes. All the time. See dietdoctor.com for a place to start if you want to check into it for yourself. It works.

4 likes

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that LCHF can be used to treat and manage T2 diabetes. None whatsoever.

The point at which I entered this discussion was when toad made the claim that T2 diabetics shouldnt eat high carb diets at all.

My objection isn't to the claims made about LCHF - it's to the associated demonisation of carbs as a general category.

So here's a challenge for you, if I'm willing to accept LCHF are you able to do the same for HCLF in the treatment of diabetes for example here: sharan-india.org/diabetes-r...

Myo clinic is wrong. Diabetes is spillage of sugar into the urine. And it occurs because of non utilisation of sugar by one's body.So it'd be unwise to eat a food which we can't utilize. Not only that but also high sugar / glucose levels due to non utilisation causes serious harm.

2 likes

TheAwfulToad,

Being diabetic, a person needs some carbs. to have the brain and the rest of the body functioning correctly. No carbs. means that a person can have severe low blood sugar.

Hi Activity2004 - we seem to have this conversation a lot!

I'm not trying to be unkind here, but being diabetic from your early years you may not have a complete understanding of what it feels like to have a functioning pancreas. You're perhaps unable to appreciate, at a visceral level, how a normal body manages its own blood sugar without external intervention. There are a whole bunch of interlocking processes that keep blood sugar tightly regulated, either increasing it or decreasing it as necessary. It is physiologically impossible for anyone to have 'severe low blood sugar' except in a state of extreme starvation. You personally, I assume, are subject to that possibility because you're using either insulin or a drug that switches off gluconeogenesis, not because you're diabetic as such.

However we're talking here about the T2 diabetic body (as I understand it, you have a non-standard variant of Type 1). A T2 diabetic - at least in the early stages - has a problem only with glycolysis; that is, it's possible for his/her blood sugar to rise too high by eating too many carbs (because it can't be disposed of in the normal way), but it will not fall too low because gluconeogenesis is still working just fine. This is the basis of the argument for a fat-based diet.

In any case, there's no such thing as a "no carb" diet - getting below about 20g/day is very, very hard, and not necessary except in extreme cases. Most T2 diabetics do very well on 25-50g/day (~150kCal) because at that level their insulin response tends to normalize ... ie., they cease to be diabetic.

Your brain doesn't really need much glucose; it works just fine on ketones and lactate. Even if your body weren't synthesizing it's own glucose, those few grams of dietary carbs would be more than enough for those oddball cells that need it.

2 likes

No.body can produce carbs from proteins and fats.

suramo : Your body doesn't need to synthesize "carbs" as such. A (stored) triglyceride is first split into glycerol and fatty acids. The fatty acids are burned directly for energy or converted to ketones, and the glycerol is converted to glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate. Glyceraldehyde 3P then enters the glycolysis cycle directly (a little further along than glucose would have done) or the gluconeogenesis (glucose synthesis) process, which can also accept lactate, alanine or glutamine as inputs.

There are several (potentially useful) conversions your body can't do, but it still has a surprising number of ways to convert one thing into another thing, which is why humans can subsist on such a wide range of diets.

2 likes

Thanks for posting. Will check out your blog. I also know people with diabetes who have changed to being plant based and are doing so well. There has been lots of research done on it. However of course it's a huge lifestyle change .....

A special hello to anyone embarking on a low carb high-fat diet, and to the ones who are already on this journey keep it going you have so much to gain. Before I went on the journey I was in a sorry state, I had diabetes 2 breathing at times was an effort, walking any kind of distance was too painful. my weight was 17 st 3lbs I am a male 5ft 8" tall and at the time I was 67 years of age. I went for my annual checkup with the diabetic nurse and my blood sugar was 19! So she said I was on the maximum metformin 500gx4 and it was looking like I would have to start having insulin injections, this frightened me enough to change.

I was lucky enough to come across a video on YouTube the Diet Doctor, and it convinced me my lifestyle was killing me. well, the good news is I am no longer on medication for diabetes, my blood sugar is averaging 4.5, I can now walk over distance pain-free, I am, no longer breathless, and my weight is averaging 11 stone 11 lbs, and I feel like a million dollars! I am 70 now I hope you will find my story encouraging. PS I had a hbc1 test, 3 months after stopping the medication and the result was normal yippee.

4 likes

Ha. You just illustrated my point to benwl. Congrats to you!!

1 like

Hi, pleased to chat, inspiration 🧐🧐🧐🧐 well do you have children, grandchildren. That’s my inspiration, I want to be around for as long as possible, so watching my weight eating healthy, I see there faces every time I want to eat badly. It works, they inspire me to keep healthy. 😀😀😀😀

1 like

You may also like...