Soup for Lunch today :-): Hi everyone, I... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating
46,605 members8,375 posts

Soup for Lunch today :-)

Zest
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

I bought a soup from the supermarket today, and it is a Lentil & Chickpea soup. I put the entire contents in my bowl, but rapidly realised I only needed half a portion, so I stopped eating it half-way, and will be re-heating it for lunch tomorrow. The soup (for half a container) was 147 calories, and I had some bread rolls alongside - half a Jalapeno and half a Pumpkin seed bread roll with butter. I allowed 300 calories for the bread and butter, so the entire meal was approx. 447 calories.

Zest :-)

22 Replies
oldestnewest

Looks lovely, but wouldn't that be a lot of salt intake? .🤔

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Millie09

I would imagine that there`s more sugar than salt in it.

Millie09
Millie09 in reply to Hidden

Really? .. suppose it depends on the make of the soup.

Zest
ZestStar in reply to Millie09

Hi Millie09 and Hidden

I think it's always important to look at the ingredients on any shop-bought soup, to see if it fits with your personal taste/requirements nutritionally - and I try to buy soups that are as low in salts and sugars as I can - and I prefer to have home-made soup as an absolute preference, as I know what I've put in it.

This particular soup has 147 cal per half pot, and also per half pot, it has 4.2g fat, (green traffic light level) 1.5g saturates (green traffic light level), 1.8g sugar (green traffic light level) and salt 1.56g (orange traffic light level) - so yes, it does have more salt - but I rarely add salt in any of my cooking, and I do quite a bit of exercise, so I didn't mind having some in that soup.

Long answer I know, but it's interesting to compare ingredients and preferences. Definitely a good thing to do.

Millie09
Millie09 in reply to Zest

Hi zest, thank you for your reply,.I too have to go with the flow salt, sugar options, not very often I have shop bought soups as that's one of the reasons why.

Totally agree it is good to have a bit of a change now and then .☺

Zest

I've bought lots of carrots today - so some kind of Carrot soup is going to be on the menu at some point... :-)

Millie09
Millie09 in reply to Zest

Yummy.. especislly with fresh coriander 😋

Zest

Definitely, Carrot & Coriander soup is so delicious - good idea!

If you make your own it is bound to cost less and at least you will know what's in it. We find our own soups taste so go and can be made while food is in season and frozen for the winter.

Zest
ZestStar in reply to Tibblington

Hi Tibblington

I agree with you, and I've bought some veggies today with the express thought of making some soups, but I also do like to buy the occasional can/carton of soup - and it's nice to have the choice and variety to do whatever works best for an individual person.

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Tibblington

I`ve never made my own soup .. definitely one to consider for the future.

Zest
ZestStar in reply to Hidden

I hope you try it, Hidden - soups are very easy to make, and tend to make quite a few portions, so freezable. :-)

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
Zest
ZestStar in reply to Hidden

Hi Hidden

They also put some spices in the soup - it has lentil, chickpea, garam masala, curry leaves and mango chutney apparently! So it was spicy. You could add some nice things to yours when making it yourself. I bet it will be great!

Your meals always look and sound delicious.

Zest
ZestStar in reply to G1nny

Hi G1nny

Thank you. I hope you're enjoying your week so far.

Philly cream cheese is a good low fat alternative to butter if you are doing a low fat diet....leaves enough calories for a banana or yogurt if you are like me and need your afters!

Zest
ZestStar in reply to DartmoorDumpling

Hi DartmoorDumpling

That sounds very tasty!

I have been unable to finish this needs assessment as the last question asked for me to choose one option and there weren't any to choose from. I tried a second time where I found all my answers faithfully recorded.

Zest

Hi Tibblington

It's good that you found your responses recorded safely, and I hope you were able to complete the assessment ok. I'm presuming you're referring to the HU questionnaire that was sent around yesterday.

Tibblington
Tibblington in reply to Zest

As I said previously the poll couldn't be completed because nothing came up to choose from on the final page; are you surprised?

Zest

Hi Tibblington,

I completed the questionnaire myself, and it seemed to go through ok. So I am surprised to hear you couldn't complete it yourself, and that there was a missing option at the end. I will get you the link to discuss it with HU, if you would like it.

I'll pop back with the link. You can contact HU on this E-mail: support@healthunlocked.com

Hope that is helpful.

You may also like...