Delicious Fruit & Nut Cake :-): Hi everyone... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating
45,432 members โ€ข 8,294 posts

Delicious Fruit & Nut Cake :-)

Zest
ZestStar
โ€ข5 Replies

Hi everyone,

I baked a couple of cakes this afternoon, and just wanted to share my recipe here:

Fruit & Nut Cake

Preheat oven to 180'C (fan oven)

Use a loaf tin liner and a loaf tin (2lb size)

Mix together in a bowl:

Dry ingredients:

50g mixed fruit

50g seed mix (I used 25g pumpkin seeds and 25g sunflower seeds)

100g glace cherries (omit these if you want to cut down sugar content)

75g jumbo oats

100g flaked almonds

75g wholemeal rye flour

1 tsp baking powder

Wet ingredients (mix together in a jug):

2 mashed bananas

1 egg

150 ml milk

50ml olive oil

capful of vanilla essence

Then pour the Wet ingredients into the Dry ones, and mix up with a wooden spoon.

Put them into the loaf tins (please note you need the above ingredients to make 1 cake, so basically I repeated the whole process to make 2 cakes). You can cut and freeze portions - they keep very well.

Bake them for 45 to 50 mins or until brown on top and a knife/skewer comes out clean.

I have posted similar recipes for the cake in the past, and each time I seem to adapt it slightly - but this one was delicious, and I liked using the wholemeal Rye flour.

The great thing about the cake is you can adapt it to your own preferences - i.e. change the seeds, maybe add dried apricots, chopped dates, etc.

I would like to thank Ruth_canal_runner as she helped me to begin to explore trying to bake cakes - and she inspired me.

Zest :-)

5 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest
Jerry
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿณ, the Queen of cakes strikes again with a healthy fruit and nut cake absolutely perfect with a nice cup of tea, so you enjoy it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thank you so much. I'm going to re-name the cake 'Fruit & Nut Cake' as I like that name!

Jerry
JerryAdministrator
in reply to Zest

LOL๐Ÿ˜Š

Can you use normal flour Self raising or plain

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to dish70

Hi dish70

I think you could use those flours instead - but if you used the 'self-raising' then maybe omit the baking powder. I have used the Rye flour, and also used Wholemeal flour in the past - I've not used plain or self-raising flour - but I don't see why they wouldn't be fine in it.

You may also like...