Homemade Almond & Blueberry Cake :-)

Hi everyone,

This afternoon I made this delicious cake:

Homemade Almond & Blueberry Cake.

Ingredients:

60 ml olive oil

2.5 large bananas

75g ground almonds

150g crunchy peanut butter (or you could use another kind of nut butter if preferred)

1 tsp vanilla essence

1 tsp baking powder

3 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

100g fresh blueberries (but you could use frozen ones)

If you use frozen berries, then put them in whilst still frozen (thanks for the tip, MissisB).

Method:

Just mash the bananas with a fork, add the other ingredients and mix up thoroughly using a wooden spoon. I left the blueberries till the end and then stirred them gently through the mixture, so they remained intact.

Fan Oven: Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for approx. 45 minutes.

Conventional oven: Bake it at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6), for 45 minutes. (thanks MissisB for this mention of types of oven - i.e. conventional vs fan ovens)

It was a moist and delicious cake - I will definitely make it again. I will be freezing it, once I've cut it into portions.

Estimation of calories: If you slice the cake into 11 slices, then it is approx. 220 calories per slice.

N.B. Using paper tin liners really helps.

Zest :-)

23 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Hi Zest now this looks totally delicious to me, And what a great recipe I'll copy it, so you enjoy it...๐Ÿ˜Š

3 likes

Thanks Jerry, I was pleased with how it turned out. :-)

2 likes

that looks really delicious and sounds it too. i can see why it was so moist. can i ask what size of tin you put it into as i dont have tins and i would need to get some. i will definately try this as it sounds so simple to make. i will copy the recipe too. great idea to leave the blueberries until the end and not get them all smashed up. i'd love a peice of this with a cuppa. yummy. xoxo

1 like

Hi Grace,

I use a 2 lb loaf tin (900g if you prefer metric) - and I made 2 of this cake - as you can see, and the ingredients make 1 cake - but it's easy to make, so I made the two in no time at all. I hope you enjoy it, if you give it a go.

Ideally I would have liked to have used almond nut butter, as it would be more 'almondy' - but the cost of the almond butter put me off a bit - it was very expensive, and so I used the crunchy peanut butter - and it tasted lovely - so that was fine!

Zest :-) xx

1 like

thats good zest as i do have a 2ib load tin i got from lakeland a while ago when i was going to try and make bread but never got round to it. i will let you know how i get on and take a pic but i need to get bananas first and let them ripen. I am happy to use crunchy pea nut butter as thats lovely too. thanks. love grace xoxo

1 like

I am excited that you'll be trying it, and I hope you enjoy it. I'll look forward to seeing your photos, when you make it. :-)

Zest :-) xx

1 like

Hi zest, can you help me figure out cup measure for the ground almonds and blueberries? Thanks

That looks fantastic Zest, very professonal : >

1 like

Thanks so much, Kitten-whiskers

1 like

Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Hi avoid-sugar

It is a tasty cake. :-)

I make most of my cakes with olive oil because it is healthier than butter etc. And they are delicious.

1 like

Hi ohdearherewegoagain

That's great! Glad you enjoy them too.

Looks very tasty Zest

1 like

Hi Henbur

Thanks very much.

Thanks for sharing looks good !

1 like

Thanks Hessie5

Zest this looks amazing I have saved it for when the weathers cool enough to bake (or maybe I'll do it at 5am!)

1 like

That's great Fran, I hope you enjoy it. :-)

This sounds wonderful and easy, as well as healthy. Thanks, from one who has done no baking in a long time. I will be mixing up and baking some next week!

1 like

Hi Luvmycats

Yes, it was extremely easy to make, and I hope you enjoy it. I tend to use those paper tin liners, so that the cake doesn't stick to the loaf tin.

Thank you very much for this recipe Zest

I made this cake this morning, and as you know I had a chat with you behind the scenes as it took longer to cook than yours - a lot longer.

We realised that you have a fan assisted oven, and I have a normal oven so adjustments would be needed.

So. Next time I make it, I now know I need to cook it at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6), hopefully for 45 minutes.

Mr B has to watch his carbohydrate intake carefully - and this low carb cake passed the taste test with flying colours. I used frozen blueberries - just a general tip if you use frozen berries, it is better not to defrost them, just add them to the cake mix frozen.

I will update again next time I make this, just In case there are any timing adjustments.

Now also thinking raspberries, flaked almonds, dollop of crime fraiche ...

1 like

Hi MissisB

This is really helpful - and I am glad that you enjoyed the cake, and that Mr B enjoyed it too. Great tip on the frozen blueberries too. I like your suggestion of added raspberries, flaked almonds and a dollop of Crรจme Fraiche - lovely!

1 like

You may also like...