โ€ข24 Replies

Hi everyone,

This afternoon I made this delicious cake:

Homemade Almond & Blueberry Cake.

Ingredients:

60 ml olive oil

2.5 large bananas

75g ground almonds

150g crunchy peanut butter (or you could use another kind of nut butter if preferred)

1 tsp vanilla essence

1 tsp baking powder

3 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

100g fresh blueberries (but you could use frozen ones)

If you use frozen berries, then put them in whilst still frozen (thanks for the tip, MissisB).

Method:

Just mash the bananas with a fork, add the other ingredients and mix up thoroughly using a wooden spoon. I left the blueberries till the end and then stirred them gently through the mixture, so they remained intact.

Fan Oven: Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for approx. 45 minutes.

Conventional oven: Bake it at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6), for 45 minutes. (thanks MissisB for this mention of types of oven - i.e. conventional vs fan ovens)

It was a moist and delicious cake - I will definitely make it again. I will be freezing it, once I've cut it into portions.

Estimation of calories: If you slice the cake into 11 slices, then it is approx. 220 calories per slice.

N.B. Using paper tin liners really helps.

Zest :-)

24 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest
Jerry
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest now this looks totally delicious to me, And what a great recipe I'll copy it, so you enjoy it...๐Ÿ˜Š

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I was pleased with how it turned out. :-)

that looks really delicious and sounds it too. i can see why it was so moist. can i ask what size of tin you put it into as i dont have tins and i would need to get some. i will definately try this as it sounds so simple to make. i will copy the recipe too. great idea to leave the blueberries until the end and not get them all smashed up. i'd love a peice of this with a cuppa. yummy. xoxo

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to grace111

Hi Grace,

I use a 2 lb loaf tin (900g if you prefer metric) - and I made 2 of this cake - as you can see, and the ingredients make 1 cake - but it's easy to make, so I made the two in no time at all. I hope you enjoy it, if you give it a go.

Ideally I would have liked to have used almond nut butter, as it would be more 'almondy' - but the cost of the almond butter put me off a bit - it was very expensive, and so I used the crunchy peanut butter - and it tasted lovely - so that was fine!

Zest :-) xx

grace111
grace111
in reply to Zest

thats good zest as i do have a 2ib load tin i got from lakeland a while ago when i was going to try and make bread but never got round to it. i will let you know how i get on and take a pic but i need to get bananas first and let them ripen. I am happy to use crunchy pea nut butter as thats lovely too. thanks. love grace xoxo

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to grace111

I am excited that you'll be trying it, and I hope you enjoy it. I'll look forward to seeing your photos, when you make it. :-)

Zest :-) xx

Luvmycats
Luvmycats
in reply to Zest

Hi zest, can you help me figure out cup measure for the ground almonds and blueberries? Thanks

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Luvmycats

So sorry, I've just seen your reply today - don't know why I missed it. I'm not sure about the cup sizes, but let me know if you're still wishing to know the conversions, and I'll try to work them out.

Kitten-whiskers
Kitten-whiskersVegan star

That looks fantastic Zest, very professonal : >

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Kitten-whiskers

Thanks so much, Kitten-whiskers

Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ˜Š

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to avoid-sugar

Hi avoid-sugar

It is a tasty cake. :-)

I make most of my cakes with olive oil because it is healthier than butter etc. And they are delicious.

Zest
ZestStar

Hi ohdearherewegoagain

That's great! Glad you enjoy them too.

Looks very tasty Zest

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Henbur

Hi Henbur

Thanks very much.

Thanks for sharing looks good !

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Hessie5

Thanks Hessie5

Fran182716
Fran182716Prediabetic

Zest this looks amazing I have saved it for when the weathers cool enough to bake (or maybe I'll do it at 5am!)

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Fran182716

That's great Fran, I hope you enjoy it. :-)

This sounds wonderful and easy, as well as healthy. Thanks, from one who has done no baking in a long time. I will be mixing up and baking some next week!

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to Luvmycats

Hi Luvmycats

Yes, it was extremely easy to make, and I hope you enjoy it. I tend to use those paper tin liners, so that the cake doesn't stick to the loaf tin.

Thank you very much for this recipe Zest

I made this cake this morning, and as you know I had a chat with you behind the scenes as it took longer to cook than yours - a lot longer.

We realised that you have a fan assisted oven, and I have a normal oven so adjustments would be needed.

So. Next time I make it, I now know I need to cook it at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6), hopefully for 45 minutes.

Mr B has to watch his carbohydrate intake carefully - and this low carb cake passed the taste test with flying colours. I used frozen blueberries - just a general tip if you use frozen berries, it is better not to defrost them, just add them to the cake mix frozen.

I will update again next time I make this, just In case there are any timing adjustments.

Now also thinking raspberries, flaked almonds, dollop of crime fraiche ...

Zest
ZestStar
in reply to MissisB

Hi MissisB

This is really helpful - and I am glad that you enjoyed the cake, and that Mr B enjoyed it too. Great tip on the frozen blueberries too. I like your suggestion of added raspberries, flaked almonds and a dollop of Crรจme Fraiche - lovely!

You may also like...