Enjoyed a Walk today :-): Hi everyone, On my... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

51,727 members9,577 posts

Enjoyed a Walk today :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

On my walk today, I saw some interesting things, including something I'd never seen in my life before - which is the 'fruits' on the Palm-like hairy tree - so I wanted to share that photo in particular, and ask if anyone knows what those fruits are called, and if they've seen one of those trees do that before.

I also put a couple of other photos to show other interesting things I appreciated on my walk.

I try to be 'mindful' when I'm walking and also 'mindful' when I enjoy food, and I'm glad we have a topic called "Healthy eating and Exercise" as it's a great combination.

Zest :-)

18 Replies

Is it one variety of Palm tree??🧐Nice to see these beautiful photos..Zest.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to avoid-sugar

Hi avoid-sugar,

I've just been looking at photos online, and this name seems to be the one:

Trachycarpus Fortunei Chinese Windmill Palm Chusan Tree Trunk Fruit Leaves

At least that is what it looked like when I compared the photo online with the one I saw today.

Wow, that's a long name!!!

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest, mindful living sounds perfect to me trouble is we all end up bogged down worrying about the past or the future if we're not careful.

I love the garden horse and cart and that is an impressive, lovely sized garden and I think the red flower is a camellia and the fruit could be açai.

So I'm not surprised you enjoyed your mindful walk...😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You're right, it's easy to worry about the past or future, and being mindful is definitely a skill, but I wouldn't have noticed the fruit on that tree if I'd not been trying to be 'mindful' today - and I noticed so many lovely things as a result of trying to be 'in the moment'. :-)

The Horse & Cart is near a Community centre - and a nice feature.

Camelias are beautiful - very red and vibrant.

I have seen some photos of the fruit online just now, as I was having a look - as the hairy palm tree was such a surprise to see it 'flowering and bearing fruit' - I am going to look up 'acai' when I get chance.

Got to get ready to go out now, so have a lovely evening!

Thanks for nice photos. You made me smile :)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Renata-LT

Hi Renata-LT,

I am very happy to hear that I made you smile. :-)

lovely pictures Zest. The colour of the flowers are beautiful and i like the daffodils. also the horse. you must have had a lovely walk to see such things.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to grace111

Hi Grace,

Glad you like the photos, and yes, it was a lovely walk. :-)

Hidden profile image
Hidden

Does your soil quite acidic? I have got the same bush (shrubs) with the same flowers, but not doing too well. The soil in this location is probably not quite right, too cold, too. Neighbours got the impressive towering one with numerous flowers, but it could be a hardy variety. They are avid gardeners. As for the Palm tree, I have seen them, common in Asia or somewhere warmer. They spread like weeds as berries sprout. The similar plant I find is saw palmetto. I have never seen such a large bunch of impressive berries on it. I feel inspired enough to plant one. Thank you for sharing. :)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Hidden

Hi Hidden,

I admit I don't know about the soil quality locally - I am not a gardener at all, and all the photos were taken on my walk, out and about.

Great that you have some Cameilias in your garden, I think they are such a lovely flower. Regarding the tree, I was amazed to see it had some fruit. Great to hear your neighbours have one that has numerous flowers on it. I am glad you feel inspired to plant one - and if you do, I hope it grows. :-)

Hidden profile image
Hidden in reply to Zest

Thank you, Zest, for your happy post, which is always so pleasant. I should learn from you.

Zest profile image

You're very kind, thank you. :-)

Hidden profile image
Hidden

hi Zest, i have seen this varietiey of plam been sold in the market a few times but never took an interest in them. the salers will know the name and i have taken a snapshot and will show it to them ..

i have 3 different varieties trees and ive got so fedup with there fruits i cut of the bunchs before they start to drop..worse then weeds.

the camellias bring back a few members of my home when i lived in london.

i think i will look on net to see how the white one is doing..

Zest profile image

Hi Hidden,

I saw some photos online that looked similar, and it had a very long name - which I wrote in my reply above to avoid-sugar - but I'm not sure if that is definitely the name of it, so it would be great if you could ask the Palm Sellers - and we can see what they say about it. I would like to know what its name is. I was very impressed to see it.

I really like Camelias as well - they are beautiful - so vibrant.

Hidden profile image
Hidden in reply to Zest

just showed the photo to my wife and she said she ask in the market on Saturday.

the ones i saw there the salers where busy cleaning of all the mating so they look better.. its the same mating that comes with coconut trees but again people cut it of so they look clean ..i do it all the time to my ones..

i gusse some people like to leave it on.

will get back to you on that ☺

Zest profile image

Thanks Hidden - I will be very interested to hear about it, when your wife asks in the market on Saturday - that's very kind of her. :-)

Hidden profile image
Hidden

am pretty sure its name is coccothrinax cerita....i saw they had some of about one foot high in the market today so i asked them the name.

Zest profile image

Hi Hidden,

Thanks for finding this out for me, and it's great that you saw them in the Market today - I really enjoyed seeing this tree, and especially that it was bearing fruits. I think it was an amazing sight. :-)

Thanks again,

You may also like...