Homemade Minted Pea Soup Recipe :-) - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,932 members9,772 posts

Homemade Minted Pea Soup Recipe :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank SlimmerSue62 for inspiring me to look out a recipe for 'Minted Pea Soup' so I can make my own - as I recently had a tin of soup (nothing wrong with that of course), but I have found a really nice recipe in my Soup recipe book.

I'm adapting the recipe slightly - as I don't particularly like ham, but if you do, then you could add some chopped ham to it. The original recipe suggests adding 150g cooked ham, diced, and adding it to the soup at the end of the preparation of the soup.

Ingredients:

White onion/shallots - chopped

40g butter

1 potato, peeled and chopped

300ml vegetable stock, hot

500g frozen peas, defrosted

2 handfuls of fresh mint leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Soften the onions/shallots in the butter in a pan over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the potato and continue cooking, covered, for another 7-10 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Pour over the stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

2. In a separate pan, boil 400ml water and cook the peas for 2-3 minutes. Add the mint leaves for the last 20 seconds of cooking. Tip the peas and mint into a sieve placed over a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid in the bowl. Add the peas and mint to the stock and whiz the soup using a blender until smooth, pouring in enough cooking liquid from the peas to loosen the consistency.

I will hope to make this soup soon, and when I've done it, I'll post a photo to accompany this post.

Thanks for the inspiration, Sue, it's much appreciated. :-)

Zest :-)

The recipe book is: "The Soup Book" which is created by the Soil Association and the editor-in-chief is Sophie Grigson. It's one of my favourite recipe books and has recipes from many people in it.

4 Replies

Thank you for sharing Zest.I am going do some,really simple & that’s what I like..😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to avoid-sugar

Me too, I like the simplicity of that recipe - should be easy to make, and really yummy. :-)

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

thanks Zest I really like pea soup so great recipe, soup sounds very tempting at the moment must be the weather, so every cloud...😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

Yes, every cloud does have a silver lining. :-)

You may also like...