Enjoying Friday so far. :-): Hi everyone, I'm... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

51,782 members9,608 posts

Enjoying Friday so far. :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

I'm excited as it's Friday and nearly the weekend. So far today I've had a total of 1,473 calories, consisting of:

Breakfast: Porridge with mixed nuts, seeds and fruit - approx 447 calories

Lunch: Egg Mayo and Salad Wrap - approx 728 calories

Followed by: Homemade Fruit cake and coffee - approx 236 calories.

Cups of tea and coffee at various points in the day.

Total calories so far: 1,473. I allow myself a calorie range of 2,000 to 2,200 - so I've got up to 727 calories left. Not sure what I'm going to have for my evening meal yet.

Hope Friday is going well for you so far.

Zest :-)

14 Replies
Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest, thats a good healthy start for a Friday and I like cuppa's at various points too 😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks! Yes, a 'cuppa' helps, doesn't it. :-)

How do you stop yourself from eating too much fruitcake, Even now I'm thinking of cake, biscuits and chocolate? Especially with a new CO-OP nearby

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Greyone

Hi Greyone,

I usually freeze my homemade fruit cake into slices, and literally only take out a slice a day - and that way I'm not tempted to 'overeat' it. I don't buy biscuits, and regarding my chocolate - I have loads of bars of it in the fridge, but I allow myself 25g of it in the evening after my cup of coffee. That's how I manage, but years ago, I would have had difficulty - I think it's mainly because I've cut out extra/added sugar, and my taste buds have changed. I don't put any sugar in my fruitcake - just the sugars contained in the dried fruit.

I hope you manage to cope with having that new supermarket so close by - I can imagine it is tempting to pop out and buy things sometimes.

Greyone profile image
Greyone in reply to Zest

It's Saturday 2 pm when I am reading your reply and believe you me, all sorts of thoughts are going through my head as i either dash around doing my chores or my paperwork at my desk. I'm thinking of biscuits or if my local coop has any Christmas cake left in stock.

I'm having cottage pie with a plate full of vegetables topped off with some boiled potatoes. They are my number one eat because my mum would always eat them, even if she was unwell and I allow myself them whenever I want.

But seriously, I've not long had my processed chicken sandwich with 3 salad bowl and a soup in a mug, topped off with a very heavy nap for 30 minutes. I'm still dressed in a way that is suitable for gardening SO at 3 I may go out for some gardening and reward myself with a medium cappuccino before my cottage pie. The one upsetting thing is that I now have to ration my gravy because of the salt content. If only I could find a substitute.<frowny face>.

Well done for freezing your cake though that's a brilliant idea !

Frostie2560 profile image
Frostie2560 in reply to Greyone

Are you saying you have boiled potatoes with your mashed potatoes?.Everyone needs a day to chill. Maybe make your own gravy?. No salt, problem solved.

I make an onion gravy. I use one onion, cook gently for 5-10 mins while that’s cooking boile up about 400ml water then add a tsp veg stock(reduced salt) a tsp powdered mustard and two tbsp of Worcester sauce.

I add 2 tsp flour to the onions then slowly add the stock, use a whisk if easier. Done!. It’s really lovely😊

Greyone profile image
Greyone in reply to Frostie2560

In the absence of a cooker, i could convert that to a microwave recipe that may work just as well. I do not have any culinary challenges at the moment, that may be a good start. thanks again.

Frostie2560 profile image
Frostie2560 in reply to Greyone

That must be a real challenge for you!.There are loads of tinned veg that are just as healthy. I’m sure there is a link somewhere I can find to give you some ideas. Oh and I can’t leave cake alone, luckily I have two kids that hoover it up before I do!!.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Frostie2560

That sounds great! :-) (the onion gravy recipe) - lovely!

Greyone profile image

I must promise not to play the bloke card about specialized cooking for gravy. But yes, my dear old mum used to do that so i may very well give it a go. Would sort out my problem though good style thx Frostie.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Greyone

Hi Greyone,

Your cottage pie with vegetables and boiled potatoes sounds like an excellent meal - and I hope you enjoy it later. Hope you manage to get through all your various chores and paperwork, and also the gardening you're planning to do.

There are some stock cubes for gravy that are reduced salt - maybe Swiss bouillon ones? You could always do a post asking people for ideas - I feel sure they'd respond with some great ideas.

Have a really great Saturday!

thrillist.com/health/nation...

These look really good!.

Greyone profile image

Can somebody help me pick my tongue up off the floor and mop the carpet please <wibbly face with bulging eyes>. Think i see another challenge coming round the mountain <join in the chorus if you know the words>

You may also like...