Healthy Eating
33,303 members4,786 posts

Used my Slow-Cooker for the First Time :-)

Used my Slow-Cooker for the First Time :-)

Hi everyone,

I bought a small slow-cooker (suitable for one to two people) about 2 years ago, and admit I'd not used it till today! But now I've used it, I will definitely be using it more often - as the resulting taste of the veggies was really GOOD. :-)

So, here is a photo of my meal - the slow-cooked veggies (potatoes, sweet potato, swede and onions) and some broccoli and Cajun chicken.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Zest :-)

35 Replies
oldestnewest

Very nice Zest. It’s good that you have started to use your slow cooker.

1 like

Hi Grace,

Yes, I'm really glad to have finally made use of it. I am hoping to find some nice recipes of meals to cook in it. I've just noticed that prawncess has put cooked pulses and veggies in hers tonight, which sounds really good!

4 likes

Hi zest, snap, slow cookers brilliant, no photo I’m sorry to say but cooked pulses and veg in mine for my dinner tonight

3 likes

Hi prawncess,

Yes, I really enjoyed the taste of the veggies - so much more flavoursome. Your meal with pulses and veg sounds really good.

1 like

Hi Zest 👩‍🍳 this looks and sounds really smashing and it beats fast food any day, I’ll bet you’re glad you used it,

Jerry 😊

1 like

Hi Jerry,

Yes I am - I've been meaning to use it for ages, but somehow never got around to it, but now I've got the 'taste' for it, I'll be making better use. :-)

1 like

Hi Little_toad,

Thank you! :-) Your 'fast-cooker' sounds really good - and it's nice that you can choose which one to use, depending on your availability.

Your stew last night sounds good. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 like

I only used mine for making soap, until a few months ago. Now I even use it for porridge! :) x

2 likes

Wow, Mel, making soap in your slow-cooker - that sounds interesting!!!

How long do you cook your porridge for in the slow-cooker? :-) xx

Soap's cured sooner if heated, & also better as milled soap if cooked a second time. Messy hobby that I've given up, though it was nice to try!

Porridge takes about 4 hours on low for a couple of portions. I usually soak oats overnight, then cook very slowly which is a nuisance, so like that I can forget about it & don't have to stir. I once left it overnight, but by brunchtime it was slushy, but not inedible. I think it was added seeds & converting to water porridge that I didn't like so much.

1 like

Oh ok! You 'did' mean soap... See it's good that I take people literally - I did wonder if it was a 'typo' afterwards...! Glad we've clarified that. :-)

Hi again - did you mean 'soup' rather than 'soap' - I am laughing now - because I took you 'literally'... lol :-)

SOAP, as in the stuff we wash with. I made castille soap with EV olive oil, & added nice stuff! :D

diynatural.com/crock-pot-soap/

2 likes

:-) Sounds good! :-)

1 like

Looks delicious Zest! I love my slow cooker. I'm wearing mine out, treat myself to a new one pay day. I live with it comes in handy after a hard day's work.

2 likes

Hi ShadowDee,

Great that you're making such good use of your slow-cooker - and I hope you enjoy the new one when pay-day comes round. :-) Lots more delicious slow-cooked meals to come! :-)

1 like

Hi zest your meal looks delicious 😋 and I'm quite sure it tasted delicious 😋 too, I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening and enjoy the rest of your weekend

Rosie 😊 xx

2 likes

Hi Rosie,

Thank you, it was really nice. I hope you've had a lovely day and that you're enjoying the weekend so far.

Zest :-) xx

1 like

Hi zest😊

I’ve joined here recently. I use my slow cooker loads, I love it. My favourite Cook book is my slow cooker one. I’m not sure if I can post the books title and author?. It has so many varied recipes in it but I’ll certainly share if allowed😊

1 like

Hi Frostie2560,

Welcome to the Healthy Eating forum, it's great that you've joined. I would like to know the name of your slow cooker cookbook, as I might be able to get it out of the library (which is my main resource for recipe books) - so yes please, let me know what it is.

Thank you!

1 like

Hi Zest it’s called the slow cook book. Heather Whinney. I hope you get some good ideas from it. It also gives you the traditional methods of cooking so if you want something quick you can use it to.

2 likes

Thanks - I hope I can get hold of that book at the library. :-) It sounds great. :-)

2 likes

Now you've used it, you'll get the bug.

It's really good in winter - fantastic for chicken legs, stovies, stews, soups and especially dried beans.

1 like

Hi Cooper27,

I think you're right! I am already thinking about what to cook in it next. :-) I will look into dried beans too - as I usually buy canned beans, but imagine that dried beans would be good.

1 like

slow cookers are great but i keep on forgeting to use it .. 6.20am now and i think i will go and put it in and make spaghetti bolognase for breakfast 😊

2 likes

Hi Hidden,

Enjoy your breakfast! :-) Maybe you'll be using your slow-cooker a bit more this week. Whatever you cook, and however you cook it, enjoy!

1 like

Presume that the nutrients will be retained max with a slow cooker..

3 likes

Yes, slow cookers hold flavor and the nutrients as long as you have the lid on the most of the time until you get the dinner ready, Shashikantiyengar. Works really great!😀

3 likes

Yes, I kept the lid on throughout - there was no need to open it at all during the 4 hours it was cooking. Really good. :-)

2 likes

Hi Shashikantiyengar,

Yes, that was why I used a bowl yesterday for my veggies, to ensure I didn't lose any of the great liquid - it was all so tasty and I was thinking of the nutrients - really good.

2 likes

I Only started using mine this week and have made chicken casserole, curry and Shepards pie! Your food looks lovely! Have fun experimenting xx

2 likes

Hi Natalieoneill,

Wow, that's great, you've been busy!!! Your meals all sound really great. Yes, here's to more experimenting! :-)

Zest :-) xx

1 like

Slow cookers are great at the weekend I cooked a curry in mine and I'm going to try pork meat balls in tomato sauce tomorrow so keep on using the slow cooker.

2 likes

How long have you had your slow cooker, candybaby?

Hi candybaby,

Great that you used your slow-cooker to make a Curry on the weekend, and I hope that your Pork Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce are tasty tomorrow - enjoy!

I am definitely going to keep on using the Slow Cooker - I think it's a wonderful and flavourful way to cook. Really good!

You may also like...