Healthy Eating
32,121 members4,442 posts

Healthy Eating & Exercise (Resolutions for the New Year 2018) :-)

Healthy Eating & Exercise (Resolutions for the New Year 2018) :-)

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Happy New Year for 2018. I hope it will bring lots of positive experiences and be a good year for us all.

I am considering my New Year Resolutions - which include combining Healthy eating with Exercise. I've created an Exercise sheet - with the intention of keeping a diary of my good intentions!

My Resolutions are as follows:

1) Eat healthy foods, and pre-plan my meals whenever possible. Aiming for 'healthy 80% of the time' kind of philosophy.

2) Exercise regularly - both cardio, and strength exercises.

3) I would like to lose 8.25lb in weight - I've gained some weight over Christmas and New Year, and want to get rid of it again.

4) Looking forward to sharing new recipes and meal ideas with people in this Healthy Eating forum

If you want to share your Resolutions or plans for the New Year - feel free to jot them down in this thread, or start your own thread - I will hope to update on my own progress from time to time. We could support one another.

Happy New Year!!!

Zest :-)

60 Replies
oldestnewest

Happy New Year to you Zest 😊

This looks a really good idea to me, I saw a psychologist talking about New Years resolutions and they said that they should be; SMART, Small, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-based,

So I think that you are going about this just the right way and I know that you can achieve your goal. I'd aim at 2lb every 2 weeks so you're not aiming too high.

Exercise combined with healthy eating and healthy thinking and that's the ultimate goal to a healthy lifestyle, methinks.

Apparently Chinese white cabbage is very nutritious and considered a super food by many and its very low calories and because its filling they're considered negative calories.

I know that your meals and recipes are appreciated by other members Zest and I for one look forward to your creations in 2018.

Jerry 😊

1 like

Hi Jerry,

Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for your very encouraging reply. :-) I really appreciate it. :-)

I'm looking forward to the New Year and to seeing all the various lovely meals and recipes posted by everyone - just cooking my evening meal just now.

I'll be back later.

Hope you're having a great day so far.

I had to have a little chuckle at the SMART targets idea. Working as a Special Needs teacher many years ago, we had to set SMART targets for our pupils. I guess we are all special in our own way....

2 likes

Happy New Year Penny and you're very right everyone is special.

I laughed as my goal for 2018 is to be fitter and healthier and the psychologist said just saying I want to be healthier is too wooly...well I like wooly LOL.

Jerry 😊

2 likes

:-) Hi Penel - Wishing you all the best for a Happy New Year! :-)

2 likes

Thank you Zest. Happy New Year to you too.

I’m finding this site very interesting!

2 likes

Really happy to hear that, and thanks for the lovey New Year greetings! :-)

A very Happy New Year to you Zest

Definitely my philosophy for the future i.e. continuing with the exercise both cardio and strength (I must also take some time out and go walking as well - can't spend all my time indoors on an exercise bike!). I will also be continuing to improve the way I eat; same as you the 80%/20% rule, you have to enjoy food as well.

I also have a few pounds to get rid of, about 5 and aim to do this slowly but surely (agree totally with what Jerry has said).

Here's to 2018.

Alicia :)

1 like

Hi Alicia,

A Very Happy New Year to you too. :-)

A great philosophy for the future - combining the cardio and strength exercise - and the healthy eating.

Yes, Jerry has made a great suggestion for slowly tackling our excess pounds. We can do this. :-)

Here's to 2018.

Zest :-) xx

Hi Zest

Definitely good to combine the cardio and strength exercises although I have to say cardio is my favourite and really do enjoy healthy eating. Since going Pescatarian I am introducing different foods which makes eating much more interesting.

Yes agree that Jerry has made a great suggestion for tackling excess pounds and we can all do it with the help and encouragement on this forum.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2018.

Alicia :) xx

1 like

What a lovely post Zest, I wish you well in your resolutions which I am sure you will achieve. My resolutions are to fix my foot so I can get back on my treadmill, do more yoga and relaxation, find time to do my hobbies instead of working all the time and to stick to my healthy gut food planner xx

1 like

Hi Kitten-whiskers,

Great to see you and thanks for your kind words. I wish you the very best with your own Resolutions - and I really hope your foot will get better soon, so you can get back to your treadmill, and that you enjoy doing your yoga and relaxation too. Hobbies - I hope you find time to fit them in! Good luck with sticking to your Healthy Gut Food Planner too - here's to us achieving our New Year Resolutions, and enjoying the year ahead.

1 like

I couldn't have said it better myself xx

1 like

:-) xx

Hi There,

I also restarted a weight loss program. I am a big fan of a free app called “My Fitness Buddy”. You track your weight, your food you eat and exercise.

It is easier than it sounds since you can scan bar codes and it remembers any data entered.

You see how you are doing before it shows up on the scale.

Ken

1 like

Hi Ken,

Thanks - is 'My Fitness Buddy' the same as 'My Fitness Pal'? I've used the latter in the past, but nowadays I use my Fitbit - and I also like the paper and pen method of my exercise chart (in the photo)- as it motivates me, and seems quite satisfying to complete it by hand at the end of each day.

I've maintained a healthy BMI for the past 3 years now, having lost over 5 and a half stones, but Christmas usually results in a gain of a few pounds - and so I'm keen to ensure I lose that in the first couple of months of this year - all being well.

How are you doing? I'd like to wish you the best for 2018.

I stand corrected. I use MyFitnessPal for overall weight loss and FitnessBuddy for strength training. I’m in the USA so the only stones for me are in the garden. I’ve fluctuated between 190 and 170 lbs for 10 years and need to get back

to the lower number.

I’m a newbie at this diagnosed just 6 months ago. So with every new or changed symptom, I freak out. But I’m settling into the new normal and that’s good.

So nice of you to ask!!

I wish you and all reading well and all the best for the new year.😎

Hi Ken,

Sorry - I didn't see your reply till now. I shall have a look at FitnessBuddy for Strength training - not heard of that one. :-) Regarding my total weight loss (converted from those heavy Garden stones) that would be 77 pounds I lost.

I would like to wish you success with your goals for this year - and I hope you have a great month ahead. Hope to see you around and about in the forum.

Hippy New Year Zest!

I'm sure with all your exercise that you'll be back to your preferred weight in no time!

I must be the only person I know to loose weight at this time of year, & think I'm heading back to my pre-fluffy baked potato binge that I had in November. Think my appetite has suddenly returned after seeing some lovely veggie meals on here, so maybe not.. :)

My resolutions are to cut down my food air miles as I'm horrified to find my NY treat of blackberries came all the way from Mexico. :'( More seasonal & local shopping in order!

I'm also going to try to shop more ethically with regard to food content, as I inadvertently bought some chocolate gifts that contained palm oil, so more ingredient checking required when I buy products online.

I'm also going to try & address my cognitive dissonance regarding cake. I won't eat poor quality flour in bread, so why am I sometimes tempted by junk when I'm out? Must stop immediately, aim for >90% healthy food intake, & experiment with fermented puddings, once I've finished my box of shortbread & sticky figgy pudding! ;)

Mel x

1 like

Hi Mel,

Happy New Year, and thanks for your lovely reply. I think your goal to reduce your air miles regarding food, and buy seasonal and locally produced foods is a good suggestion.

It's a minefield of information to look out for regarding the ingredients in various products - sorry to hear you bought the palm oil inadvertently.

Fermented puddings - ah, you've reminded me about fermented foods. I've been to the library and got out a few books on Gut Health - I find that subject really interesting and want to learn more.

I've already finished my shortbread (thank goodness for that!)...!

Mmm, sticky figgy pudding - that sounds very decadent and tasty. :-)

Hope you're having a great week, and wishing you well for your goals in 2018.

Hi Zest,

I'm trying to reduce my impact as much as possible. Hard where coffee, tea & cocoa, & fruit is concerned so I try to buy Fairtrade & organic.

My friend's grandmother used to make a fermented friendship cake with chopped pineapple in. It was a little like a pandoro, & very good. I'm sure it's do-able with kefir & a little patience. Doubt there'd be any health benefits with regard to probiotics, but the gliadin & fructans would be broken down as with sourdough.

Which books are you reading now?

My week's improving along with my coughing, thanks!

Mel x

1 like

I picked up quite a few books - on various topics, but regarding Guts, I have one called "Gut Reactions: How Healthy Insides Can Improve Your Weight, Mood and Well-being" by Justin & Erica Sonnenburg - - they offer recipes and meal plans - so I'm going to enjoy reading that one I think. :-)

1 like

Another one is called "The Gut Makeover" by Jeannette Hyde (she's a Nutritional Therapist) - it says "4 weeks to Nourish your gut, revolutionise your health and lose weight' - so that looks interesting too. :-)

1 like

Update on Monday 8th January 2018: OK, so it's 1 week since I made my Resolutions - so just wanted to check in and give some feedback - I have lost 3.75 pounds this week, which confirmed to me that most of my gain had been down to water retention from my Chinese takeaway on New Year's Eve - and the salty meal. Yes, I also overate over Christmas, and did less exercise due to my cold, but I am pleased to say that I have been feeling a lot better (especially in the last couple of days) - and I am hoping to step up my exercise this week.

I age on average 2,269 calories each day - which is slightly outside my intended range of 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day (I am 6 feet 1 inch tall and fairly active).

Regarding strength exercising, I've not done as much as I hoped - I've got all those sections on my paper chart - and I only picked up the resistance bands once. However, I did do the equivalent of 49.1 kms of steps/walking and also 1km of rowing.

This week I plan to:

1) Go to the gym at least once and do some cross-training.

2) Hope to run outside at least once - approx 5km distance.

3) Ensure I do some more Strength Training.

4) Find some healthy recipes to try - I'd like to attempt at least one new recipe this week.

5) I'd like to lose 1 pound this week. I have 4.5 pounds left to lose to get to my 'ideal' weight - which is at the top of my preferred Maintenance range of 13 stone to 13 stone 7 pounds. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall, my 'new BMI' is currently 24.26 (healthy).

I will update again next Monday.

p.s. Wishing everyone success with their goals for 2018.

Update on 15th January 2018:

Today I weigh 14 stone 0.5 lb (89.32kg), so I’ve gained 3lb (1.37kg) this week. I am on my time of the month, so I think that may be a contributing factor.

I ate an average of 2,068 calories per day this week, which is within my calorie range of 2,000 to 2,200. My ‘new BMI’ (used for taller people) is 24.61 so I am still in the healthy range. I would like to lose 7.5lb to get to my ‘ideal’ weight of 13 stone 7 pounds.

I managed to get to the gym, and I also did plenty of walking. I also did more strength exercises and I enjoyed some healthy meals, some of which I prepared using my slow-cooker (which I’ve not used before).

I am going to stick with the same goals. Looking at the ‘overall trend’ it is Onwards and Downwards, as I have lost an average of 0.375lb per week, since 1st January 2018, which I know is minimal, but it is ok! I am a healthy BMI and I am just trying to reduce my weight a little.

This week I plan to:

1) Go to the gym at least once and do some cross-training.

2) Hope to run outside at least once - approx 5km distance.

3) Ensure I do some more Strength Training.

4) Find some healthy recipes to try - I'd like to attempt at least one new recipe this week.

5) I'd like to lose 2 pounds this week. I have 7.5 pounds left to lose to get to my 'ideal' weight - which is at the top of my preferred Maintenance range of 13 stone to 13 stone 7 pounds. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall, my 'new BMI' is currently 24.61 (healthy).

Wishing everyone success with their own Healthy Eating & Exercise Goals. :-)

Update on 22nd January 2018

Last Monday I weighed 14 stone 0.5lb (89.32kg) and my measurements were 40-33-41, and today I weigh 13 stone 10.75lb (87.61kg) and my measurements are 40-33-40, so I've lost 3.75lb (1.71kg) and 1 inch off my hips.

I ate an average of 2,212 calories per day.

I didn't get to the gym - not even once - but I did my best to do some exercises - including some rowing (4km) and I also went out for some cliff-path walks and also did some intervals of 'walking - jogging' (14km), and did 34.98km of walking/steps on top of that. So I was fairly active.

Noticed the trend to eat a bit more on weekends - especially Saturday! But not particularly concerned about it, as it was a good week.

My goals for this coming week are:

1) Reduce my butter consumption.

2) Get back to the gym and hopefully do a couple of Gym Sessions (cross-training).

3) Run outside at least once this week, as well as on the treadmill in the gym!

4) Try a new recipe - not sure which one yet. Will enjoy choosing one.

5) Lose 1lb or thereabouts. My goal is to get to 13 stone 7 pounds (my 'ideal' weight), and I am currently 13 stone 10.75lb so I've got 3.75lb to go.

Update on 29.01.18

Last Monday I weighed 13 stone 10.75lb (87.61kg) and my measurements were 40-33-40. Today I weigh 13 stone 11lb (87.61kg), 2,164 calories. So I've gained 0.25lb (0.11kg) this week, and I've lost 1 inch off my hip measurement.

I ate an average of 2,164 calories per day. My average daily macronutrients worked out at: Average fat = 98.56g; Fibre: 25.22g; Carbs: 223.76g; and Protein: 88.3g

I managed to get to the gym 3 times, and did the following exercises:

Treadmill running = 12km

Bike = 28km

Rowing = 6km

Walking/steps = 42.5km (this included an 8km 'jogging/walking'

Total Kms = 88.5km

I also did my Bob Harper Core conditioning DVD once (20 minutes) and lifted my Kettlebell a couple of times. :-)

My goals for this coming week are:

1) Use the slow-cooker more, and try a new recipe in it from the Slow-cooker recipe book I have from the library.

2) Continue attending the gym and hopefully do a couple of Gym Sessions (cross-training).

3) Run outside at least once.

4) Begin researching some Strength training work-outs (maybe a circuit at home, or use the weights at the gym). My aim once I get to my 'ideal' weight is to begin to build on my muscle and toning (as a longer term aim).

5) Lose 1lb or thereabouts. My goal is to get to 13 stone 7 pounds (my 'ideal' weight), and I am currently 13 stone 11lb so I've got 4lb to go.

That's some serious cardio! You must be getting really fit, but as you've noticed it's having little effect on your bodyfat%. Your carb intake is at least 5x higher than it should be for fat loss: it's simply impossible to lose weight at 200g+/day.

Hi TheAwfulToad,

Thanks for your reply. I am enjoying my exercise - especially walking. I do feel reasonably fit. Thanks for your comments.

I found it interesting that you said it's "simply impossible to lose weight at 200g+/day" as my own personal experience has been that I have lost weight - a total of 5 and a half stones, which I've then maintained for the past 4 years - and I've been a 'healthy' BMI (according to the "new BMI" calculation) during the last 4 years - and I'm just trying to lose a few pounds now - to reach what I think of as my 'ideal' weight. I'd like to be between 13 stone and 13 stone 7 pounds, if I can.

I can see that you specifically said "Your carb intake is at least 5 times higher than it should be for fat loss" - could you let me know what reference you have for that?

I admit that I am reluctant to change my regime too much - because I think that my food intake is fairly balanced and healthy, and I have maintained a healthy BMI for nearly 4 years now.

I'm just seeing how things go - and using this thread to keep a diary of my progress - as I find it helpful.

I'll be updating this again on Monday - as I like to go week by week with my updates.

Well ... unless I've misunderstood, you've gone from about 20 stone to 14 stone at some time in the past, which is certainly do-able with caloric restriction, but as you've noticed, you've plateau'd at >13.5 stone (ie., somewhat overweight) for several years, which means your current strategy has probably run its course. This is a very common experience.

>> I can see that you specifically said "Your carb intake is at least 5 times higher than it should be for fat loss" - could you let me know what reference you have for that?

Bear in mind that triglyceride synthesis, storage, and breakdown all occur in parallel, but the balance tilts in favour of storage when there is a lot of circulating glucose available. This paper addresses a different issue, but the data coincidentally answers your question:

journals.plos.org/plosone/a...

The general consensus (not mentioned in this paper) is that there's an optimum weight-loss rate somewhere around 20-40g daily carbs for most people. I wouldn't worry too much about your diet being "balanced" while you're attempting to lose weight. Almost by definition, losing weight is an abnormal state of affairs, and you need to do slightly unusual things to make it happen. A weight-loss diet is not inherently unhealthy, but it is necessarily different to a weight MAINTENANCE diet (which is basically what you're eating now).

Have you measured your bodyfat percentage? It's a more reliable indicator of progress than body weight.

Hi TheAwfulToad,

Thanks for your detailed reply, and I will look forward to reading the paper you've linked to - currently I am at a 'healthy BMI' rather than 'overweight' - at least when I use the 'new BMI' measure (it's 24 point something) and the NHS BMI calculator puts me at 25.4. I'm 6 feet 1 inch tall. I've not calculated my 'body fat percentage' - my stats today are 40-33-40 (bust, waist and hips).

I need to think about your reply more, and read the paper, and I'm looking forward to doing that, as I am grateful for helpful info. I thinking you're right, I've been 'Maintaining' rather than losing - and maybe I need to think about whether I will be healthier between 13 stone and 13 stone 7 pounds, or whether 13 stone 7 to 14 stone should be my 'maintaining' range of weight. I've been aiming for 2,000 to 2,200 calories. I inputted my data into NHS calculator today and it gave me a range of 1,866 to 2,399 - I could go down to 1,866 next week - might try that. I do 'intermittent fasting' in that I tend not to eat after 6.30pm or thereabouts, and I find that is helpful.

I think I would still like to be in the maintaining range of weight of 13 stone to 13 stone 7 pounds, so I will have a good think about how to achieve that going forward. You're right, I do need to do something to shift things - I am plateau-ing really.

Hopefully by Monday I will have thought of a plan for next week. :-)

I appreciate your input. :-)

Just to clarify, the biomarkers that the paper examines are associated with fatty acid synthesis (from dietary carbohydrates) which in turn is related to fat storage. They just happen to be examining those markers for their relevance to heart disease (which of course is related to obesity), so all you're really interested in here are the raw data. I couldn't find a complete study online that specifically focuses on weight loss rates at different carb intake levels - I'll have a look later, there are actually a lot, it just takes a bit of messing around to navigate the various research paper archives.

But yeah, the simplest thing to do at this point is to just shift those 10kg (or whatever you're aiming for) with a targeted weigh-loss plan. Just bear in mind that, at that new baseline, you will need to keep your maintenance carbs under (roughly) 100g a day or it'll just creep back on again. The fact that you're exercising helps enormously with weight maintenance (it gives you a lot more leeway); not so much with weight loss.

I'm not sure a further caloric restriction (ie., starving yourself) is a good idea; it's incredibly inefficient, and it feels horrible. At your weight level - which is close to a desirable 'normal' - I doubt it will even work. By all means give it a try if you're used to doing it, but there are less painful ways to get the result you want.

As for the NHS recommendations, I get high blood pressure from just reading them. The fact that they've fudged their calculations upwards to make their (useless) diet plans look better doesn't change reality: what you see in the mirror is the ultimate test. This is why I suggest a BF% measurement - 25% (for women) is a sensible number to aim for. Your gym most likely has a bioimpedance thingy that you can use; they're not hugely accurate, but good enough.

1 like

Hi TheAwfulToad,

I appreciate your detailed reply, and I will be giving all of this some thought over the next couple of days, as I usually 'readjust' my plans on Mondays - and I want to see what my weight will be tomorrow - so then I can 'plan' for the next week. I will take your comments and consider them. I appreciate your feedback and I can assure you I won't be 'starving myself' - as I appreciate and love food too much to do that.

I enjoy being in the Healthy Eating Community because there are many people who enjoy wholesome and nutritious food here. :-)

Many thanks and I hope you have a great week yourself.

1 like

Update on 5th February 2018

Last Monday I weighed 13 stone 11 pounds (87.72kg) and my measurements were 40-33-39 and today I weigh 13 stone 13.25 pounds (88.75kg) and my measurements are 40-33-41 so I've gained 2.25 pounds (1.03kg) and gained 2 inches on my hips.

I do feel that the large Moroccan meal I had last night (which was quite salty) will have skewed my weight a bit today - but still - I haven't lost any weight. The other factor is that I didn't get to the gym at all last week - although I did walk and did some jogging/running - totalling 66.67kms.

A friend of mine in the weight loss forum (whom I can't tag as she isn't a member of Healthy eating) pointed out to me that I have only gained 1.25 pounds over the entire month (February 2017 to February 2018), which tells me that I'm doing a very good job of 'Maintaining' - but the truth is that I'd like to lose a few pounds to get down to 13 stone to 13 stone 7 pounds. So I guess I'm trying to lose 'vanity pounds' - as my BMI is 'healthy' (at least using the 'new BMI' calculator, suitable for taller people).

Anyway, I have decided to adjust my calorie range for this week to between 1,866 and 2,000 calories, and I'll see how the week goes.

Looking at my macronutrients for the past week, the average daily amounts are as follows:

Calories: 2,345; Fats: 101.51g; Fibre: 30.27; Carbs: 255.57g; Protein: 92.73g

So, I'll try to eat between 1,866 and 2,000 calories daily

Fats - I'd like to reduce my fats, as I think it's quite high.

Fibre: I'm happy that my fibre intake is at that level. Aiming for at least 25g daily.

Carbs: I'll think about reducing these as well, not sure what level to aim for - will think about it.

Protein: I'll aim for about 80g protein, so will try to reduce this a little.

Goals for this week:

1) Attend the gym three times. Range of activities (rowing, running on treadmill, bike and some weights)

2) Strength training at home - kettle bells, body weight exercises (squats, press-ups) and using resistance bands

3) Achieve a good balance

4) Try to cope with a couple of meals out - where I know there will be temptations, and probably 3 course set meals, so I will try to choose wisely and not over-eat, whilst still enjoying the meals. Not sure how it will go, but I'll try. :-)

Writing this in my 'blog' here helps me to stay accountable, so it's good to do this.

Hoping for a good week ahead.

Update on 12th February 2018

Last Monday I weighed 13 stone 13.25 pounds (88.75kg) and my measurements were 40-33-41 and today I weigh 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) and my measurements are 40-33-40.5 so I've lost 0.25 pounds (0.11kg) and lost 0.5 inch off my hips.

I had decided to adjust my calorie range for this week to between 1,866 and 2,000 calories. Looking at my macronutrients for the past week, the average daily amounts are as follows:

Calories: 2,332; Fats: 105.9g; Fibre: 26g; Carbs: 243.6g; Protein: 79.3g

These averages are skewed by the fact that on Wednesday night I had a 'pre-Valentine Celebration' with my hubby where we had an overnight stay in a lovely Hotel and we ate a LOT - plus drinking some wine and Irish coffees - and the calories for that one day were 3,600...!!! The weekdays, I did manage to keep to just under 2,000 calories, and the weekends I was approx 2,300 calories each day.

I am happy to have lost 0.25 pound - and I am going to stick with my goals for the coming week - as I feel sure I will lose more weight this week - providing I don't have a 'heavy' day - and so far I only have one meal out to contend with, so it's looking like it could be a good week. I hope so. :-)

Regarding exercise, I managed to get to the gym twice, and my exercise is as follows:

Running (treadmill at gym): 4km

Rowing (at gym): 4km

Bike (at gym): 10km

Jog-walking intervals on cliff-paths: 8km

Walking/steps: 51.69kms

Total Kms = 77.69.

Also did some kettle bell weights at home, and some press-ups and squats, plus a core conditioning DVD a couple of times.

Goals for this week:

1) Attend the gym three times. Range of activities (rowing, running on treadmill, bike and some weights)

2) Strength training at home - kettle bells, body weight exercises (squats, press-ups) and using resistance bands

3) Achieve a good balance nutritionally, and regarding my exercise.

4) Try to cope with one meal out this week. Should be manageable, providing I choose well.

Writing this in my 'blog' here helps me to stay accountable, so it's good to do this.

Hoping for a good week ahead. I am aware that my Time of the Month (TOTM) is due - so that could scupper me a bit, but I'll try to ensure I don't let it. :-)

Update on Monday 19th February 2018

Last Monday I weighed 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) and my measurements were 40-33-40.5 and today I weigh 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my measurements are 39-33-39 so I've lost 2 pounds (0.91kg) and lost 1 inch off my chest and 1.5 inches off my hips.

I had previously decided to adjust my calorie range for this week to between 1,866 and 2,000 calories. However, Looking at my macronutrients for the past week, the average daily amounts are as follows:

Calories: 2,315; Fats: 111g; Fibre: 26.61g; Carbs: 219.5g; Protein: 93.01g

Exercise: One Gym session on 12.02.18

Treadmill (running) 1km

Bike 5km

Weights (legs) 30 reps

Treadmill (running) 3km

Rowing 500 metres in 2 mins 8 secs

Bike 5km

Total Running = 4km

Total Bike = 10km

Rowing = 0.5km

Weights = 30 reps legs

Walking/steps: 57.98kms

Total = 72.48kms

Conclusion: Happy with 2lb weight loss this week. Had a more calorific day on Valentine’s Day – an excessively ‘treat’ filled day, but not too bad. Could have been worse…! Total calories that day = 2,997.

Goals for week ahead:

1) Try to get to the gym 3 times this week.

2) Participate in Rignold's Lentern Challenge in NHS weight loss forum. Looking forward to doing press-ups etc and hoping my core strength will improve.

3) Hope to achieve balance between exercising, eating healthily and having a good week.

4) Hope to find some new recipes to try.

5) Decided that I will stick to calorie range of 2,000 to 2,200 - as it seems to be ok. I am also considering trying to see if I can rely on my Fitbit to tell me how many calories to have - as it also calculates my exercise. But I'm not sure how much I trust the accuracy of that, and I will still aim for the calorie range I've listed.

6) Hoping to lose between 0.5 and 2 pounds this week. Just 4 pounds left to lose to be at my 'ideal weight' of 13 stone 7 pounds. Maybe by the end of February I might have achieved it. I hope so.

Update on 12th March 2018

I haven't been keeping up to date with this 'weekly update', so today I decided to just summarise my weights and average daily calorie intake, and look at the year so far:

Monday 8th January 2018, 13 stone 11.5lb (87.95kg), 40-33-41, 2,269 calories

Monday 15th January 2018, 14 stone 0.5lb (89.32kg), 40-33-41, 2,068 calories

Monday 22nd January 2018. 13 stone 10.75lb (87.61kg),40-33-40 2,212 calories

Monday 29th January 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.61kg), 40-33-39, 2,164 calories.

Monday 5th February 2018, 13 stone 13.25lb (88.75kg) 40-33-41 2,345 calories.

Monday 12th February 2018, 13 stone 13lb (88.64kg) 40-33-40.5, 2,332 calories.

Monday 19th February 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.73kg) 39-33-39, 2,315 calories.

Monday 26th February 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.73kg) 40-33-41, 2,416 calories.

Monday 5th March 2018, 13 stone 11.25lb (87.84kg) 39-33-39, 2,133 calories.

Monday 12th March 2018, 13 stone 10.75lb (87.61kg) 39-32-39, 2,253 calories.

How am I feeling today (12th March 2018) - more positive - because the early part of the year is challenging in terms of the colder weather, and now that the signs of Spring are here - lovely flowers, more sunshine - there is hope for greater opportunities to enjoy outdoor exercise. Last week was good, I managed to get out and about.

I am hoping to make some decisions on how to tweak my meals - and what changes (if any) want to make - I've not quite come to a conclusion on that as yet, but once I do, I will share it here. :-)

Intentions and Goals for this week:

To continue with my cardio exercise and try to do more Strength exercises - I tend to concentrate more on the former than the latter.

Just been reading an interesting article about 'How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat... at the Same time' by Mike Matthews, and found it very helpful:

muscleforlife.com/build-mus...

I will hope to do some of the things suggested - once I work out a plan for this week - and will report back next week.

Use my slow cooker more, as the depth of flavour with that is amazing.

Intending to have more steamed veggies, rather than roasting in the oven, so that I can reduce my fat intake a little - I think it's been a little high.

Setting myself a goal to lose half a pound this week. Will update on Monday, regarding progress.

Update on 19th March 2018

Today I am 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my measurements are 39-32-40 so I've gained 0.25 pounds (0.12kg) this week, plus 1 inch on my hips. However, I had a very salty meal last night, so I am attributing the slight gain to that, and I hope very much that I will have a loss to report next week. Also, I've done less exercise this week too, due to the weather.

I am still noticing that I tend to spread the butter too liberally on my bread and I am going to cut back further on that, as I'd like to get my fat intake down.

To that end, I shall start sharing my macronutrients as an incentive here - just the average daily amount, over the week. Last week my macronutrients were:

Average daily calories = 2,226

Average daily fat = 98.7g

Average daily fibre = 24.06g

Average daily carbohydrates = 239.7g

Average daily protein = 90.66g

I will compare next week to see how I'm getting on.

Exercise: I did 59.38kms of walking (including 35 minutes of cliff-path running) and I did 1km on the rowing machine this week. I also did a DVD on core conditioning exercises (which lasts 25 minutes).

Goals for next week: Reduce my fat intake a bit more, and concentrate on Strength exercises - I am still neglecting them.

Update on 26th March 2018

Today I am 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) and my measurements are 40-32-39, so I've lost 1.25 pounds (0.57kg) and I've gained an inch on my bust, and lost an inch from my hips.

Last week my macronutrients were:

Average daily calories = 2,307

Average daily fat = 103.56g

Average daily fibre = 27.33g

Average daily carbohydrates = 242.49g

Average daily protein = 85.96g

Exercise: I did 65.6kms of walking and I did 1km on the rowing machine this week. I didn't manage to do much Strength training - so I've pledged to try to focus on this over the coming week, and did a Pledge post on the weekend, to try to achieve this.

I'm not doing very well at getting my fat intake down, so I will try to do better this week. But overall, I've been happy with how the week has gone, I've had some delicious meals and I lost 1.25 pounds, so that feels like a good week to me. :-)

Update on 2nd April 2018

I am just copying my update that I just did in the Maintainer's Club (which is over in the NHS weight loss forum) - and a link is here:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

So my update that I wrote there is as follows:

"Hi everyone,

I'm back again with my weigh-in results - just been looking at my diary to get my weights and average daily calories over the last few weeks. I had been keeping track of my calories, but as I typically count them up 'after' I've eaten my meals for the day, and they are constantly between 2,000 and 2,200 calories, (except for one week when the average daily calories were 2,307) I actually 'stopped counting' over the past week, and am considering continuing to do that.

My results for this month:

Monday 19th March 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.73kg) 39-32-40, 2,226 calories.

Monday 25th March 2018, 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) 40-32-39, 2,307 calories.

Monday 2nd April 2018, 13 stone 10lb (87.27kg) 39-31.5-39, unknown calories

So, since the March Maintainer's Club, I have lost 1.25lb (0.57kg) and I've also lost 1.5 inches off my waist measurement. I am happy with this.

My 'ideal' weight is between 13 stone and 13 stone 7 pounds, so I would ideally like to lose 3 pounds to get to the top end of that range, by next month's weigh-in, although as I write that, I think it's going to be relatively hard to do that. I suspect I'm more likely to lose about 1.5 pounds in that time, but I am going to try to be optimistic and do my best to lose 3 pounds, if I can...!

I am also going to to drop the calorie counting - but if my weight starts going up again, then I will adjust accordingly... That's my plan. I really need to focus more on dedicated Strength exercise - because whilst I do plenty of Cardio (walking and occasional running) - I tend to neglect the Strength training side of things, and I really want to focus on that, so I'm going to think of a plan to motivate myself to do that.

I have just done a Pledge Post to try to motivate myself to achieve some Strength Training this week:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

Happy Maintaining everyone.

Zest "

I thought it was easier to copy and paste my update - than to write it out afresh here. :-)

Update on 16.04.18

Just copying and pasting my past results:

Monday 19th March 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.73kg) 39-32-40, 2,226 calories.

Monday 25th March 2018, 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) 40-32-39, 2,307 calories.

Monday 2nd April 2018, 13 stone 10lb (87.27kg) 39-31.5-39, unknown calories

New updates:

Monday 9th April 2018, 13 stone 12.5lb (88.41kg) 39 - 32.5-39, unknown calories

Monday 16th April 2018, 13 stone 11lb (87.73kg) 39-32.5-39, unknown calories

Goals for this week: To maintain my weight, as I have a Birthday celebration weekend coming up - and I'm hoping that I don't put on too much weight as a result of that. I would however like to enjoy a few Birthday treats - foodwise, and so I am not sure how it will go. But I'll hope to do a further update next week - might be a bit later in the week though, not sure when I will be weighing in....

Update on 14.05.18

Missed a few updates - but today I am 13 stone 10.75 pounds (87.61kg) and my measurements are 39-32-39.

I'm no longer counting calories, and I'm hoping to get my weight down to 13 stone 7 pounds, so I'd like to lose 3.75 pounds by the end of this month.

I'm trying to keep up my walking, and also do some strength exercises.

I'll try to get back to updating weekly, if I can.

I have just set myself some goals for the week:

Update on 21.05.18

Today I am 13 stone 11.75 pounds (88.07kg) and my measurements are 39-32.5-40, so I've gained 1 pound (0.46kg) and half an inch on my waist and 1 inch on my hips since last week. I am putting this down to 2 things: a) it's my time of the month at the moment, so often caused bloating and slight weight gain and b) I was tempted by some Belgian chocolate cookies that a store had put by their till, and ended up eating about 15 of them over the course of the weekend - they were 57 calories each, so that was 885 essentially unhealthy calories that I could have done without...!

On the positive side - I have done a lot of walking over the week - I did 136,821 steps from Monday 14th May to Sunday 20th May 2018 - which equates to 102.61kms. The weather was so lovely - sunny and warm, and I wanted to take advantage of that.

I have also done 15 press-ups and 15 squats in the mornings - plus another 15 of each in the evenings - except for Saturday when I didn't do any at all.

My goals for this week:

1) Avoid temptations by any till in a store - they are rarely healthy foods, and I can do with out them!

2) Mix up my exercise - strength and cardio

3) Eat healthy meals

4) Intermittent fasting - i.e. no food after evening meal

Update on 28.05.18

Today I am 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my measurements are 39-32-39, so I've lost 0.75 pound (0.34kg) and lost half an inch off my waist and 1 inch off my hips. I am pleased about this, especially as it's a Bank Holiday weekend, and I felt I'd over-indulged a bit on desserts over the weekend, plus eaten too much butter. I've done a reasonable amount of walking - 80,211 steps equating to 60.16 Kms. I have also done some Strength exercises - doing 30 squats and 30 press-ups each day - with one day of 'rest'.

I have set myself some new goals, and a thread is here:

So I am hoping that the mix of exercise - including some running, rowing and increasing the Strength exercises will help, as well as pledging to continue to try to do 10,000 steps as a minimum per day, and trying to reduce my butter consumption, and find a new healthy recipe to try as well - it will inspire me to keep going and achieve these goals.

I hope to lose between 0.5 and 1 pound this week - if I can.

Looking forward to the week ahead.

Update on 4.06.18

Today I am 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) and my measurements are 39-32-40 so I've gained 2 pounds (0.91kg) and an inch on my hips. I ate out a couple of times last week - so I think that is the reason I gained. But I'm not going to worry about it, as I am pleased with other aspects of the week.

Updating on my exercise and healthy eating goals, the outcomes were:

Updating on goals (4.06.18) Last week, I hoped to:

1) Try to do at least 10,000 steps each day. I managed to do this every day except Tuesday.

2) Increase my Squats and Press-ups - from 30 per day, to 40 per day - doing 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon or evening. Yes, I did this on 5 out of 7 days.

3) Reduce my butter consumption, as I tend to be overly liberal with it. Yea, I reduced the amount of butter I consumed.

4) Try to do a new recipe this week - at least one. I didn't manage to do this.

5) Incorporate some rowing I rowed on 4 days - each time did 1,000 metres - my times varied from the slowest being 5 minutes 12 seconds and the fastest being 4 minutes 55 seconds.

6) Do 2 runs of a distance of 5kms per run. Yes, I managed 1 run of 5km - going relatively quickly - and the second run of 5km was more of a 'Galloway run' - i.e. some running and some walking.

My steps for last week are in this thread:

I will do a new pledge post with goals for next week.

My goals for this week are here, plus my Fitbit report from last week:

Specifically my goals are:

1) Try to do two outdoor runs - hopefully of 5km distance per run.

2) Do some rowing on the rowing machine (1km every other day at least)

3) Achieve 10,000 steps per day and achieve some 'brisk walking' within that.

4) Eat some healthy meals - reducing my butter consumption (as I tend to be overly lavish with butter otherwise).

5) Continue my Strength exercises - 20 squats and 20 press-ups in the morning, and then repeat the same in the afternoon/evening.

6) Allow a rest-day for exercise.

Update on 11.06.18

Last week I was 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) and my measurements were 39-32-40 and today I am 13 stone 12.25 pounds (88.29kg) and my measurements are 39-32.5-40 so I've lost 0.75 pound (0.35kg) and gained half an inch on my waist measurement.

Update on 4.07.18

When I last updated (11.06.18) and prior to my holiday, I was 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) and my measurements were 39-32-40. When I returned from holiday, on 1st July I was 14 stone 4.5 pounds (91.14kg) and the measurements were 39.5-33-42.

I got back to calorie counting straight away, and today (4th July 2018) I am 14 stone 0.5 pound (89.32kg) and my measurements are 39.5-33-40

I hope to report back weekly.

My weight loss goals are to get rid of the remaining 'holiday weight' and then continue to lose weight till I reach my 'ideal' weight of 13 stone 7 pounds - which means I need to lose 7.5 pounds. I will update next Monday on my progress.

I am thankful that I am feeling 'motivated' and also 'determined' - which are both good feelings, and will hopefully help me to achieve my goals.

Update on 9.07.18

When I last updated (4.07.18) I was 14 stone 2 pounds (90kg) and my measurements were 40-33-42. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 1922; Tues - 1667; Weds - 2034; Thurs - 2022; Fri - 1725; Sat - 1785; and Sun 1811.

My average daily calories were therefore 1,852 and my average daily fibre was 19.7.

My step total was 100,156, equating to 75.1kms.

I ate out in an Italian restaurant one evening, which was Thursday - and although the evening meal was approx. 900 calories, it didn't dent the entire day, as I ate 2022 calories over that day.

I have therefore lost 2.75 pounds (1.25kg) this week, and am pleased to be back in the 13's again.

My goals are highlighted in the thread - and I hope to stick to them and am hoping to report another loss on the scales next week, all being well.

I forgot to report my measurements from today - they are 39-32-39 - so I've lost 1 inch off my chest, 1 inch off my waist and 2 inches off my hips. I am pleased with that. :-)

Update on 16.07.18

When I last updated (9.07.18) I was 13 stone 13.25 pounds (88.75kg) and my measurements were 39-32-39. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 1716; Tues - 1789; Weds - 2203; Thurs - 2081; Fri -1945; Sat - 1969 and Sun 2260.

My average daily calories were therefore 1,994 and my average daily fibre was 24.1, which is an improvement on last week.

My step total was 125,414, equating to 94.06kms.

I have eaten out a couple of times in the week, and I think I made reasonably healthy choices.

My measurements today are 39-32-40 - so I've gained an inch on my hips - not sure why!

My goals are highlighted in the linked thread, and I hope to stick to them, and would like to have another loss on the scales next week, all being well.

Update on 23.07.18

When I last updated (16.07.18) I was 13 stone 12.5 pounds (88.4kg) and my measurements were 39-32-40. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 2143; Tues - 2014; Wed - 2139; Thurs - 2266; Fri - 2307; Sat - 2535 and Sun - 2169.

My average daily calories were therefore 2,225 and my average daily fibre was 28.81, which is an improvement on last week.

My step total was 122,011, equating to 91.5kms

I have eaten out a couple of times, and made reasonably healthy choices.

My measurements today are 39-32-39, so I've lost an inch off my hips.

My goals are highlighted in the linked thread, and I hope to stick to them - but I am going to be careful as it's very hot weather at the moment, so I need to think about being hydrated and protecting from the sun etc.

Here is the more detailed Fitbit report from last week:

Update on 30.07.18

and a more detailed Fitbit weekly report here:

When I last updated (23.07.18) I was 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my measurements were 39-32-39. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 2206; Tues - 2159; Wed - 2219; Thurs - 2614; Fri - 2106; Sat - 2613; and Sun - 2442.

My average daily calories were therefore 2,337 and my average daily fibre was 33.44, which is an improvement on last week.

My step total was 102,083, equating to 76.56kms, plus I did 1km of rowing - so total = 77.56kms exercise. I also did some strength training exercises.

I ate out several times last week - but tried to choose healthy options - and feel I made reasonable choices.

My measurements today are 39.31.5-39, so I've lost half an inch off my waist. My weight today is 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) so I've lost 1.25lb (0.57kg) this week. I am pleased.

My goals are highlighted in the linked thread, and I hope to stick to them, whilst keeping hydrated in the Summer heat.

Update on 6th August 2018

I have just done a long update in the Maintainer's Club - over in NHS weight loss forum, so I am saving time by copying and pasting my reply here - for my 'update':

Update for August Maintainer's Club:

I am back with my weigh-in update - and I've kept some detailed stats - for the month, which include my weights, and measurements of bust, waist and hips (in inches):

2nd July: 14 stone 2 pounds (90kg) 40-33-42

9th July: 13 stone 13.25 pounds (88.75kg) 39-32-39

16th July: 13 stone 12.5 pounds (88.4kg) 39-32-40

23rd July: 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) 39-32-39

30th July: 13 stone 9.75 pounds (87.16kg) 39-32-39

6th August: 13 stone 9.75 pounds (87.16kg) 38.5-31.5-39

So I've lost 6.25 pounds (2.84kg) and 1.5 inches off my bust, 1.5 inches off my waist and 3 inches off my hips. My 'new BMI' (used for taller people, as I am 6 feet 1 inch tall) is 24.2 (healthy).

For those of you who don't know me, I have been 'maintaining' a healthy weight for about 4 years now, and at my heaviest I was 18 stone 8 pounds (118.18kg) so I'm currently maintaining a loss of almost 5 stone (31.82kg). I feel so much healthier for being a healthy weight.

I've been calorie counting again this month - as well as looking at my macronutrients, and in particular my fibre intake. My average daily calories and fibre for the past 4 weeks are as follows: Average daily calories: 1,852; 1,994; 2,225 and 2,337 and the Average daily fibre: 19.7; 24.1; 28.81; and 33.44. I am pleased that I've managed to get my fibre intake up to the recommended levels, as it was a bit low before.

My aim for this month is to continue to lose some weight. I am aiming for an 'ideal weight' of 12 stone 7 pounds - I have tried for that weight before, and got to just under 13 stone - but never managed to attain my goal - but I feel in a better 'head-space' currently, and think I would still like to achieve it. So that is my goal for this year, and I hope to achieve it before the year is out. I am going to aim for 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day and will continue to try to ensure that I eat sufficient fibre.

I am also focusing on doing cardio and strength based exercise.

Wishing everyone a great month ahead.

Update on 12th August 2018

When I last updated (6.08.18) I was 13 stone 9.75 pounds (87.16kg) and my measurements were 38.5-31.5-39. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 2284; Tues - 2108; Wed - 2652; Thurs - 2386; Fri - 2018; Sat - 2446 and Sun - 2132.

My average daily calories were therefore 2,303 and my average daily fibre was 30.97.

My step total was 90,772, equating to 68.08kms

I have eaten out a couple of times, and made reasonably healthy choices.

My measurements today are 38.5-32-39.5, so I've gained half an inch on my waist and half an inch on my hips. I weigh 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) today - so that is the same as last week - no weight change.

I am considering my goals for this week - and will put them in a thread, when I've decided on them - hopefully later today or tomorrow, and will put the thread here as a reminder:

p.s. My Fitbit report for last week is here:

Update on 20th August 2018

When I last updated (12.08.18) I was 13 stone 9.75 pounds (87.16kg) and my measurements were 38.5-32-39.5. I have been calorie counting - and my calories were:

Mon - 1994; Tues - 2092; Wed - 2164; Thurs - 1929; Fri - 2550; Sat - 1851 and Sun - 2166.

My average daily calories were therefore 2,106 and my average daily fibre was 26.56.

My step total was 107,279, equating to 80.46kms and I also did 1km or rowing. I have been mainly walking, but I did a cliff-path run lasting 30 minutes earlier in the week, as well as running up some cliff-path steps.

I have eaten out a couple of times, and had some unexpected social events to attend over the weekend, which meant some less healthy options were consumed - but I tried to limit over-consumption. I think I succeeded!

My measurements today are 38.5-32-38, so I've lost 1.5 inches off my hips. I weigh 13 stone 9.75lb (87.16kg) today - so that is the same as last week - no weight change.

I am considering my goals for this week - and will put them in a thread, when I've decided on them - hopefully later today or tomorrow, and will put the thread here as a reminder:

Update on 27th August 2018

When I last updated (20th August 2018) I was 13 stone 9.75 pounds (87.16kg) and my measurements were 38.5-32-38. I have been calorie counting - and my calories are:

Mon - 2284; Tues - 2108; Wed - 2652; Thurs - 2386; Fri - 2550; Sat - 2276; and Sun - 2158

My average daily calories were therefore 2,345 and my average daily fibre was 26.34.

My step total was 107,104, equating to 80.33kms. I have been mainly walking, but I did a cliff-path run lasting 33 minutes mid-week, as well as running up some cliff-path steps.

I have eaten out a LOT this week - but tried to choose healthy options when I could.

My measurements today are 39-33-41, so I've gained half an inch on my chest; 1 inch on my waist, and 3 inches on my hips, and I weigh 13 stone 13 pounds (88.64kg) - so I've gained 3.25 pounds (1.48kg) this week.

I am contemplating my goals for this week, and will include them in this post, when I have decided what they will be:

Update on 3rd September 2018

Update on 8th October 2018

Copied and pasted from the Maintainer's Club update that I wrote today.

Regarding my stats for this month – At the time of the last Maintainer’s Club (3rd September 2018) I weighed 13 stone 13.75lb (88.98kg) and my ‘new BMI’ was 24.7 (still healthy), and my measurements were 39-32-40.

Today (8th October 2018) I weigh 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my ‘new BMI’ is 24.5, and my measurements are 40-32-40 so I have lost 2.75lb (1.25kg) and I’ve gained 1 inch on my bust, and stayed the same with the other measurements. I am on my Time of the Month (TOTM) however – so that may explain the slight increase in bust-size.

I have also calculated the 'Smart Body Mass Index' too - to see how it compares, and I scored 37/70 (which it described as 'healthy'). Thanks to S11m and wa2un7 for giving me the link to that measure.

I am particularly happy about the fact that I haven’t gained weight whilst on my Summer holiday – this is really great. Normally I gain anything between 3 and 7 pounds after a holiday, but this time I kept up my exercise – and attended the gym too, and I think that made a difference.

I feel positive going forward into October, and hope it will be a good month.

My goals for this week are here:

My Fitbit Report from last week is here:

Update on 15th October 2018

Last Monday (8th October 2018) I weighed 13 stone 11 pounds (87.73kg) and my measurements were 40-32-40.

Today (15th October 2018) I weigh 13 stone 10.25 pounds (87.39kg) and my measurements are 39.5-32-40 so I've lost 0.75 pound (0.34kg) and lost half an inch off my chest.

My Healthy eating and Exercise pledges for this week are as follows:

My Fitbit Report from last week is here:

Update on 22nd October 2018

Last Monday (15th October 2018) I weighed 13 stone 10.25 pounds (87.39kg) and my measurements were 39.5-32-40.

Today (22nd October 2018) I weigh 13 stone 8.75 pounds (86.7kg) and my measurements are 39-32-40 so I've lost 1.5 pound (0.69kg) and lost half an inch off my chest.

My Fitbit data for my weekly steps is here, but I'll be popping back tomorrow with a full Fitbit report for the week - and will also decide on my weekly goals then:

So, my Fitbit complete weekly report and goals will be here:

(will pop back with this on Tuesday)

You may also like...