Red Cabbage - Recipe/meal Suggestions? :-) - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,895 members9,764 posts

Red Cabbage - Recipe/meal Suggestions? :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

As you can see I've got a lovely Red Cabbage - which happens to match my oven glove really well - purply red - lovely vivid colour.

I am wondering what to do with it, as I don't often cook with cabbage - so I was wondering if you had any ideas/recipes/suggestions.

I hope to use it in the next few days.

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

Zest :-)

p.s. Update: I have made some Borscht with half of the cabbage, and a link is here:

healthunlocked.com/healthye....

17 Replies

It looks good :)

If you can get hold of beetroot as well, I'd be tempted to make a borscht with it.

(actually you can probably do it without the beets but I've never tried it)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to benwl

Thanks benwl - I will look at how to make a Borscht. :-) That sounds like a nice idea. :-)

Back again, I've just been looking at how to make Borscht, and this recipe looks quite good - although I'm not sure I want to use Beef stock - I think I'll use Vegetable stock instead - hopefully that will be ok:

The recipe is from BBC Food recipes, and is one by the Hairy Biker's:

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bors...

I think I'll use half the cabbage for that, and save the other half for something else. :-)

benwl profile image
benwl in reply to Zest

I've always make borscht with vegan stock (or sometimes no stock at all) and it works out great. That looks like a good recipe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to benwl

Great, I'm going to try it out - thanks again for the recommendation. :-) I'll hope to post a picture when I do it - which is likely to be this weekend. :-)

deejames profile image
deejames in reply to Zest

If you are making borsch the trick is to keep back some beetroot and grate it in at the end of cooking to give a deep purple colour. This came from Moscovites in the 1970s. My father had strong links with Russia.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to deejames

Great, I will do that - thank you so much for that tip. I was reading about Borscht - there is quite a history to it. :-)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Zest

Hi again benwl and deejames - here is a link to the Borscht soup I made today:

healthunlocked.com/healthye....

Thanks for your tips and suggestions - a great soup!

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Hi Zest how about bubble and squeak made with sweet potatoes and blue berries for puddin’... to match your oven gloves...😊

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Jerry

That is an excellent idea, Jerry - I like the sound of that. :-)

red cabhage coldslaw..i have before made stuffed cabbage with rice and minced meat. great in a salad. or just boiled . ☺

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

Hi Hidden,

Of course, I'd not even thought of Red Cabbage Coleslaw, that is a lovely idea - thank you! I like the Stuffed Cabbage idea too - yum! Or just plain boiled - that's great. I have lots of excellent ideas now - no excuse not to make good use of my lovely Cabbage!

Claire1992 profile image
Claire1992 in reply to

I saw the picture of the wonderfully red cabbage and instantly thought coleslaw, you bet me to it though March1950! :) Red cabbage is so tasty! Adds a bit of colour to the meal too.

Whatever you do with it enjoy and remember to take a pic and post it through to us! :)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Claire1992

Thanks Claire1992 - I am excited by all the great ideas people have put forward, and already deciding how to portion it up and try to do at least 2 of the ideas - so I will photograph the results, whatever they will be. Coleslaw is lovely, but the only trouble with it is that my hubby isn't keen on coleslaw.... so I suspect I won't be doing it - maybe in the Summer I will though! :-)

Slow braised red cabbage with onions, tart apple, balsamic vinegar and some brown sugar. Should take about 2 hours or more gentle cooking.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to deejames

Hi deejames,

Thank you so much, this sounds really good. :-) Does it matter what colour the onions are?

red cabbage saurkraut full of fabulous probiotics, stir "fry". I once had a meal just of steamed red cabbage.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to andyswarbs

Thanks very much andyswarbs - that sounds like a really easy option - and very tasty. :-) Great that it's full of probiotics too. :-)

You may also like...