Healthy Eating
30,286 members4,066 posts

Red Cabbage - Recipe/meal Suggestions? :-)

Red Cabbage - Recipe/meal Suggestions? :-)

Hi everyone,

As you can see I've got a lovely Red Cabbage - which happens to match my oven glove really well - purply red - lovely vivid colour.

I am wondering what to do with it, as I don't often cook with cabbage - so I was wondering if you had any ideas/recipes/suggestions.

I hope to use it in the next few days.

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

Zest :-)

p.s. Update: I have made some Borscht with half of the cabbage, and a link is here:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

17 Replies
oldestnewest

It looks good :)

If you can get hold of beetroot as well, I'd be tempted to make a borscht with it.

(actually you can probably do it without the beets but I've never tried it)

2 likes

Thanks benwl - I will look at how to make a Borscht. :-) That sounds like a nice idea. :-)

Back again, I've just been looking at how to make Borscht, and this recipe looks quite good - although I'm not sure I want to use Beef stock - I think I'll use Vegetable stock instead - hopefully that will be ok:

The recipe is from BBC Food recipes, and is one by the Hairy Biker's:

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bors...

I think I'll use half the cabbage for that, and save the other half for something else. :-)

I've always make borscht with vegan stock (or sometimes no stock at all) and it works out great. That looks like a good recipe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

1 like

Great, I'm going to try it out - thanks again for the recommendation. :-) I'll hope to post a picture when I do it - which is likely to be this weekend. :-)

If you are making borsch the trick is to keep back some beetroot and grate it in at the end of cooking to give a deep purple colour. This came from Moscovites in the 1970s. My father had strong links with Russia.

1 like

Great, I will do that - thank you so much for that tip. I was reading about Borscht - there is quite a history to it. :-)

Hi again benwl and deejames - here is a link to the Borscht soup I made today:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

Thanks for your tips and suggestions - a great soup!

Hi Zest how about bubble and squeak made with sweet potatoes and blue berries for puddin’... to match your oven gloves...😊

2 likes

That is an excellent idea, Jerry - I like the sound of that. :-)

1 like

red cabhage coldslaw..i have before made stuffed cabbage with rice and minced meat. great in a salad. or just boiled . ☺

4 likes

Hi Hidden,

Of course, I'd not even thought of Red Cabbage Coleslaw, that is a lovely idea - thank you! I like the Stuffed Cabbage idea too - yum! Or just plain boiled - that's great. I have lots of excellent ideas now - no excuse not to make good use of my lovely Cabbage!

1 like

I saw the picture of the wonderfully red cabbage and instantly thought coleslaw, you bet me to it though March1950! :) Red cabbage is so tasty! Adds a bit of colour to the meal too.

Whatever you do with it enjoy and remember to take a pic and post it through to us! :)

2 likes

Thanks Claire1992 - I am excited by all the great ideas people have put forward, and already deciding how to portion it up and try to do at least 2 of the ideas - so I will photograph the results, whatever they will be. Coleslaw is lovely, but the only trouble with it is that my hubby isn't keen on coleslaw.... so I suspect I won't be doing it - maybe in the Summer I will though! :-)

1 like

Slow braised red cabbage with onions, tart apple, balsamic vinegar and some brown sugar. Should take about 2 hours or more gentle cooking.

2 likes

Hi deejames,

Thank you so much, this sounds really good. :-) Does it matter what colour the onions are?

red cabbage saurkraut full of fabulous probiotics, stir "fry". I once had a meal just of steamed red cabbage.

2 likes

Thanks very much andyswarbs - that sounds like a really easy option - and very tasty. :-) Great that it's full of probiotics too. :-)

You may also like...