Healthy Eating

Nut Roast Recipes?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a great healthy recipe for a Nut Roast - as I really fancy trying to make one, and I don't have any previous experience - so if you have a nice recipe, could you possibly add it to this thread, and then if anyone else is looking for Nut Roast recipes, they can also find them here. :-)

Thank you!

Zest :-)

20 Replies
oldestnewest

I've got a really easy one that my dad used to make,

150g fairly finely chopped nuts ( the recipe says cashew but I've used many different ones, use a food processor to chop them)

75g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs

I medium onion chopped and sautéed in your preferred oil/butter (I use olive and I also use spring onion tops as standard onions upset my stomach but standard onions work better in the loaf)

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/2 teaspoon marmite dissolved in 1/4 pint hot water

Large teaspoon melted butter

Mix all the ingredients together and place in a loaf tin lined with baking parchment, bake at 200 degrees for about half an hour. I think that serves 4.

No idea of calories would have to work that out as you went along! Very tasty and also leftovers great cold or warmed up with salad.

Edit: is really good with a homemade tomato sauce

1 like

Hi Fran182716,

Your Dad's recipe looks really great! Thank you!

Hello Zest, from memory Barbara Cousin has a nice nut roast recipe in her book, I can hunt that out tomorrow for you and post up, or if your in more of a rush on the Tesco website under the vegan recipes - they have some real crackers and I'm sure they had nut roast x

2 likes

There are several in her book. Squirrel Delight is nice but it broke in the middle when I made it. I think that was me not the recipe though.

3 likes

'Squirrel Delight' - what a lovely name for a Nut Roast. I like it! :-)

2 likes

It is a delight but no squirels in sight!

Hi Debs,

Fantastic, and yes please, I would love to see that recipe, if you don't mind posting it - I'm not in a rush - I'm having a good look around and might try it a couple of times, so will be looking out for different recipes.

Hello Zest, as fab_Jem quite rightly said there are a few in Barbara's book - do you have a preference or would you like them all

There is the Squirels Delight, Creamy Cashew Nut & Almond Roast, Carrot, Parsnip and Cashew Nut Roast, Nutty Vegetable Loaf or nut roast xx

2 likes

Hi Debs - I like the sound of the Nutty Vegetable Loaf if that's OK by you - thanks!

Zest 😀

1 like

No problem Zest, I am posting it up now for you x

1 like

Thanks very much xx

1 like

Hi Zest, I think that this is a brilliant idea and perfectly timed...so I'd like to put a link to a recipe that is in another league as seeing is believing:

glutenfreealchemist.com/201...

It is GF but what do you expect from me LOL 😊

2 likes

That looks really lovely Jerry and I have saved the recipe to my folder as I love nut roasts.

Alicia :)

3 likes

Wow, that's a great recipe - thank you! I will copy and paste it to my recipe file - many thanks! Looks like it would take a lot of preparation, but like the author says, it's worth it. Great that there's a Gluten Free recipe here, within the Nut roasts, so that people who are GF can enjoy it. I may try it sometime as well. Thank you!

2 likes

If you find the nuts are a little too high in calories, you can serve instead a mix of quorn mince, sage & onion stuffing, onion (soften first in non stick pan & spray oil) and some tomato & basil sauce cooked in a pan and then baked inside a previously par-boiled squash, with a little grated cheese on top....looks very attractive and is lower in calories!

2 likes

Mmmm, that's a great idea - many thanks DartmoorDumpling. :-)

1 like

I like risotto served on half a baked squash! 😀

Here is a link to a lovely recipe that Kitten-whiskers has kindly posted:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

1 like

Hi Zest,

I’ve never used a recipe as my first attempt involved what was in my cupboard & fridge, so I’ve stuck with throwing things together. Usually chopped almonds, walnuts, Brazil’s, cashews, chestnuts, with some rice or quinoa to pad it out, a splash of olive oil, & occasionally an egg. It’s nice with seeds & fresh herbs added, too. If you want it to be grain free, grated squash would give it a nice texture I like squash with anything! I’ll be tempted to put shredded cavolo on top of my next roast, it may prevent it being dry, & I love it when it gets crispy !! 😀

Mx

Hi Zest, I tried this one and liked it (and it can be veganised, which is good), and then in trying to remember where I got it from, came across one of the 'How to cook Perfect Nut Roast' in the Guardian series, where there was a reference to a nut and parsnip roast - possibly the same one - so I have included the link at the bottom in case you want to follow that up...

Parsnip and Cashew Nut Roast Recipe

Ingredients

•1 tbsp olive oil

•1 onion, finely chopped

•2 cloves garlic, crushed

•8 oz (225 g) cashew nuts

•4 oz (110 g) breadcrumbs

•8 oz (225 g) mushrooms, finely chopped

•1 egg (or 2 tbsp potato starch or soy flour for a vegan alternative)

•3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed

•1 tsp fresh rosemary / 1/2 tsp dried rosemary

•1 tsp fresh thyme / 1/2 tsp dried thyme

•1 tsp yeast extract (e.g. Marmite or vegemite)

•1/4 pint (150 ml) hot water

•salt and pepper

•Flora or soya spread for greasing tin

Ten Easy Steps

1Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius / 350 degrees fahrenheit

2Boil the parsnips in water. When soft, mash with a potato masher

3Finely chop onions, garlic and mushrooms. Fry them in the olive oil until the onions are caramelised and the mushrooms are lightly cooked.

4Pull the bread into pieces and place in a food processor with the nuts. Blend them to a coarse powder and place into a large mixing bowl.

5Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic and mashed parsnips. Mix in the egg (or the starch with a little water).

6Dissolve the yeast extract in 1/4 hot water and add it to the mixture a little at a time, stirring well. The final mixture should have a slightly sticky community. If using starch rather than egg to bind the nut roast together, you might find that you need to add slightly more liquid to get the right consistency.

7Grease the tin and line it with baking paper, then grease the inside of the paper. Putting grease on both sides of the paper helps the paper to stick to the tin and not to the mixture, which makes the cooked nut roast easier to get out!

8Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for 1 hour at 180 C / 350 F.

9Remove the nut roast from the oven and stand for 10 minutes, covered in foil. Invert the tin and shake gently to remove the nut roast.

10Slice up and serve with leeks, sprouts, potatoes... or whatever takes your fancy!

Veganizing This Recipe

Instead of using an egg to bind ingredients together, as in this recipe, you can achieve the same effect by substituting the egg with two tablespoons of potato starch, corn starch, or soy flour.

And the Guardian link: theguardian.com/lifeandstyl...

Now you have reminded me, Zest , I think I might cook this again, this week!

You may also like...