Why a Low Sodium Diet May Wreck your Health

'Salt has been wrongly demonized as a major contributor to high blood pressure. Factors that play a significantly greater role include your sodium-to-potassium ratio, and a high-sugar, processed food diet.

Symptoms of sodium deficiency may include muscle fatigue, spasms, cramps and heart palpitations. Such symptoms may disappear by adding more salt to your diet.

In the 1600s, the average person was consuming up to 100 grams of salt per day from salted cod, herring and meats. Today, most people get 10 grams of salt per day or less, yet we have far higher rates of hypertension.

Low-sodium diets may lower blood pressure. However, this reduction in blood pressure may not necessarily translate into a reduction in cardiovascular events. In fact, the reduction in blood pressure may actually be harmful by potentially increasing heart rate, as well as the risk of falls and fractures.

Low-sodium diets can also worsen your total cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein ratio and induce insulin resistance increasing both triglycerides and insulin.

Sub-populations that may need to monitor their salt intake are listed, as are conditions that increase your need for salt by increasing sodium loss. The benefits of salt loading before exercise are also discussed'.

articles.mercola.com/sites/...

24 Replies
oldestnewest

I have high blood pressure and seldom take salt and when i had my last blood test my sodium was low. so i agree. i do now use a little pink himalayan salt as its full of minerals.

2 likes

You can probably buy Himalayan salt cheapest online. Celtic sea salt is just as good though.

i get it from lakeland or tk maxx im sure there will be other places you can buy it like holland and barret whole food shops. or if you were buying it online there are many places like amazon although i wouldnt use amazon for anything that i was putting in my mouth as i dont trust amazon at all. even the perfume can be fake. iv heard there are many fake goods on amazon so im very carefull what i buy there.most of the himalayan salt is rock salt so you would need a salt or pepper mill to use it i know you can get finely milled ones but i'v not seen them very often.i hope you get some soon and you may notice it even has a nicer tase than table salt.let me know if you get it as i will be thinking about you and wondering. love grace xoxoxo

A good local Health shop worth their salt should sell himalayan pink salt!! Mine does. Just could not resist the pun.

1 like

😂 yes its good to have a little laugh. i had one to my friend earlier on the forum but i dont know if she understood it, i was telling her the weather was freezing and she lives in spain where is 20c and she was rubbing it in so i told her to wrap up.

Very interesting Dottie and thank you for sharing. I do suffer with cramp and eat very little salt so may purchase what Grace has mentioned below, Pink Himalayan Salt.

Alicia :)

2 likes

Also, make sure you are getting enough Magnesium Alicia, as cramps are also a symptom of a Magnesium deficiency and you can't get enough Magnesium for optimal health from salt alone.

2 likes

Thank you Dottie, I have Magnesium spray so will start using that again.

2 likes

Good! :)

We cannot afford to get low levels of Magnesium in the body because over 700 processes need optimal levels to function properly and if we don't get enough, we are at risk of about every single disease you can think of from diabetes, to heart disease, to cancer!!

magnesiumeducation.com/how-...

nutritionalmagnesium.org/

integratedhealthblog.com/ma...

Thank you Dottie for your further post, I will have a look at the links you have given me.

1 like

yes i have magnesium which i spray on my body also do some calf stretches if you get cramp in your calfs. all salt is processed but himalayan pink salt is not and is paked with minerals. dont forget to drink water through out the day too. here is a litte info,

Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt

health-benefits-of-himalayan-rock-salt.jpg

Himalayan contains 84 trace minerals and electrolytes. Some of these minerals include calcium, iodine, potassium, magnesium and iron (11). In fact, Himalayan salt contains triple the amount of potassium, per serving, than Maldon or Celtic sea salt (12).

While lacking scientific evidence, high mineral content in Himalayan rock salt attributes to many health benefits. Here are four things people believe Himalayan rock salt helps with:

1. Electrolyte Balance

Himalayan salt contains all six electrolytes we require for health: sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium. Therefore, you can replenish your body’s natural supply of electrolytes by adding Himalayan rock salt to your diet. This is especially helpful on hot days or after an intense workout when electrolytes are lost through sweat.

You can make a natural “gatorade” with Himalayan rock salt by adding ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan rock salt to 1 quart (1 liter) of water, with the juice of half a lemon and some raw honey or green leaf stevia.

2. Thyroid Function

Since Himalayan rock salt contains iodine—the element your body needs to synthesize thyroid hormones—it may help promote and maintain healthy thyroid function.

Research links Iodine deficiency to hypothyroidism. It’s a common condition primarily present in countries such as India, Asia and Africa (13). As a preventative measure against iodine deficiency, synthetic iodine gets added back into table salt (also known as iodized salt).

Now, to state the obvious: unrefined salt already contains iodine. So, why not get iodine from a natural source, like Himalayan rock salt?

3. Adrenal Health

Your adrenals are two little glands sitting on top of your kidneys. They’re responsible for regulating your body’s stress response by producing the hormones cortisol and adrenaline (14).

Your adrenal glands depend on minerals for proper function. You can find minerals like sodium and potassium in Himalayan rock salt. Ideal sodium and potassium balance is essential to adrenal health. It prevents your adrenals from over-functioning (resulting from excess sodium) or under-functioning (excess potassium) (15).

Himalayan rock salt balances sodium and potassium for optimal adrenal health.

Promoting adrenal health is important to preventing chronic fatigue, burnout, and other hormone imbalances — such as hypothyroidism.

4. Migraine Relief

Researchers suggest a primary cause of migraines and headaches comes from magnesium deficiency.

Since Himalayan rock salt contains magnesium, people often use it as a natural remedy for migraine relief. Himalayan rock salt also contains calcium, helping to relax constricted blood vessels (16).

Himalayan Salt Lamps

Himalayan-salt-lamp.jpg

While Himalayan salt lamps aren’t something you eat, they’ve become so popular that they deserve an honorable mention.

Himalayan salt lamps are simply large Himalayan salt rocks with lightbulbs inside them. Although some consider them a new-age hippie trend, people believe it has many health benefits. The soft pink glow of these lamps emits negative ions that cleanse the air. This helps remove negative energy, improve blood flow, promote restful sleep, and boost serotonin levels in the brain.

While these health benefits are certainly appealing, there’s a lack of supporting evidence to back up these claims. But even if they’re a flower-child trend, you’ve got nothing to lose by trying it (except some “negative” vibes).

Himalayan Salt vs. Other Varieties of Salt

A-Simple-Guide-to-Salt744.jpg

The mineral content of Himalayan rock salt is what makes it so appealing. But is it any better than other varieties of natural salt—such as Celtic or Maldon sea salt?

In terms of nutritional content, Celtic sea salt has less sodium than Maldon and Himalayan sea salt. It’s also shown to be slightly higher in calcium, magnesium and iron. However, Himalayan rock salt contains nearly double the amount of potassium than Celtic sea salt (17). Additionally, Himalayan rock salt contains moderate levels of all minerals. Ideally though, both Celtic and Himalayan rock salt are ideal to include in your diet.

Maldon sea salt is higher in sodium than both Celtic and Himalayan salt. It’s also low in potassium, magnesium and iron — making it the less favorable choice.

Where to Buy Himalayan Salt

buying-himalayan-salt.jpg

People can purchase Himalayan rock salt at any health or ethnic food store. If you’re looking for quality, look for a darker pink salt indicating higher mineral content.

There are different varieties and brands of Himalayan rock salt. Consumers can purchase certified halal or kosher for religious reasons or by type of grind (course or fine). Many brands claim their Himalayan rock salt comes directly from mines in the Himalayan Mountains. People believe this indicates higher quality and greater mineral content.

There’s no harm in adding Himalayan rock salt to your diet in small amounts. In fact, replacing table salt with Himalayan rock salt can be good for you. It’s an effortless way to add more trace minerals to your diet and improve your overall health.

this is a little information on himalayan salt but you could google it for yourself and find out much more the thing is we have to be careful with site we get the information from. wishing you well. love grace xoxoxo

2 likes

Thank you Grace for the raft of information and it's not something I was aware of. I've just had a look online and see I can buy it at Holland & Barrett. I'm going into our town centre tomorrow so will purchase it.

Thank you.

Alicia xxxx

2 likes

i got some out of tk maxx and some out of lakeland but holland and barret will sell it and probably lots of other places too. maybe you could just google where can i buy himalayan salt. it does taste nice too, i only use a little as its got lots of good minerals in it i somehow knew it wasnt right to have no salt at all. it didnt make sense as when people are dehydrated they may get a solution from the chemist that has salt and sugar in it as well as other things. if you have diarrhoea the doctor sometimes give you it.

1 like

Thank you Grace and I have purchased some today so I am raring to go to use it in my chilli tomorrow.

2 likes

thats good. thanks for letting me know.

It's in my chilli and also in my homemade peanut butter. :)

1 like

great im pleased that you managed to get it. love grace xoxo

Yes I certainly did and it's now my cupboard staple :: xx

1 like

very interesting post, i have always heard that salt was bad for you, but thought that did not apply to me as sweat a lot working in the heat.

3 ways i add salt to my food.

dip cut pineapple in salted water before eating.

dip raw kohirabi, raw broccoli stalks, raw cabbage stalks, raw cauliflower stalks into salt before eating.

after squeezing lemon and taking the rind off dip in salt and eat.

best with a few cans of beer😊

1 like

No, that's a total lie about salt being bad for you. The Romans were even paid in salt (Salary) as it was such a precious commodity and humans have always consumed salt and lots more in the past than we do now.

What kind of salt do you dip your food into?? Do you use unrefined?

The beer sounds good!! ;)

1 like

i use a few different ones but mostly i use sea salt.

i don't think i can find the good salts in Thailand that where mention in the link.

am going to read the link again later.

1 like

My late Mother in Law at 93 was fit both physically and mentally, albeit with a pacemaker for heart palpitations. She had swollen ankles for years put down to water retention, a condition which got worse as she got older. When the Doctor decided to increase the dose of her water tablets to bring down the swelling, she started to get confused and ended up with delirium, caused by low sodium. We can never know if the water tablets flushed out too much salt from her system, but she deteriorated rapidly mentally and was put in a home for the last couple of years of her life. Like you Dotty, I felt at the time that there is so much said about the benefits of keeping our intake of salt down, and yet the Doctor treating my Mother in Law told us that very low sodium affected our brain function, but how can we know if our intake is too much or not enough ?

1 like

Thanks Dottie2011 - I try to ensure I have sufficient salt - and especially when I've been to the gym or been exercising a lot.

Zest :-)

2 likes

Apparently, the current guidelines on salt have no scientific evidence to support its low recommended value wddty.com/news/2017/02/safe...

1 like

You may also like...