Healthy Eating
36,227 members5,731 posts

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe

Hi everyone,

I pledged this week to make some soup, and have a Meat-free day, and so it appears that today is the day - as so far I've eaten Vegetarian food for breakfast and lunch, and I hope to do something Vegetarian this evening too.

This is a soup recipe called Roast Tomato Soup (Source = “The Soup Book” (edited by Sophie Grigson) Soil Association publication.)

Serves 4 Prep 10 mins Cook 30 mins Freeze: Up to 3 months.

Ingredients:

8 plum tomatoes, about 675g (1.5 lb) in total, quartered

1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges

2 garlic cloves, unpeeled

3 tbsp olive oil

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 litre (1.75 pints) hot vegetable stock

3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste

Method:

1.Preheat the oven to 180’C (350’F/Gas 4). Put the tomatoes, onion, and garlic on baking trays covered with greaseproof paper. Drizzle with the oil, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until they are soft, caramelised, and slightly browned – allow 10-15 mins for the garlic, 15-20 mins for the onion, and 25 mins for the tomatoes. Squeeze the garlic from their skins once they have cooled slightly.

2.Transfer to a blender, add the stock and tomato paste, then whiz until smooth but still slightly chunky. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, reheat gently, and serve hot.

Tip: “For home-made food in a jiffy, roast the vegetables up to three days in advance and keep them in the fridge. This soup then takes just minutes to prepare” This quote is by Sofia Larrinua-Craxton.

This soup is delicious - and I am intending to use some of the soup as a base for a sauce in my evening meal, and I will freeze the remainder. It has a lovely depth of flavour - really enjoyed it! :-)

Zest :-)

20 Replies
oldestnewest

Ooo must try that thanks ;)

2 likes

It is really good. :-) Hope you like it too. :-)

Tomato soup is one soup I have only tried to make once and it wasn't great but I did it from total guess work - am sure I will love your recipe :)

2 likes

Let me know how you get on. :-)

1 like

Will do but will be a couple of weeks time as heading to find some winter sun ;)

1 like

Oh, then wishing you a lovely time! Enjoy that Winter sun. :-)

1 like

Like the sound of this and will copy the recipe. Love making soups.

3 likes

Excellent! Hope it turns out well - I used 4 cloves of garlic instead of 2, as I like garlic, and it tasted fine. :-)

I think I will try it with the extra garlic- thanks for the suggestion. Enjoy your veggie meal this evening😊

1 like

I didn't measure the sun dried tomato paste either - just gave a good squirt - probably just over 1 tablespoon of it - rather than 3 - seemed quite a lot... But it still tasted fine. :-)

1 like

Hey Zest, you've done it again 👸 this looks so appetising and roasting tomatoes and onion first is a really good idea and must add flavour. The photo's look fantastic too so I bet you enjoyed it. So well done for completing your first pledge and in style...

Jerry 😊

3 likes

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very much - it was very appetising. :-)

1 like

Yummy

1 like

Thanks Abby, it was yummy.

We have loads of home grown Toms,so will give it a go!

1 like

Great, homegrown tomatoes are sooooo tasty. I bet your soup will be gorgeous. I hope you might post a picture, if you want to, when you do it. :-)

I will.

1 like

Great, I'll look forward to seeing it. :-)

This looks a nice soup although the tomato season has finished !! But lets cut out the frivolities of chefery . Use any small tasty tomato to the weight indicated , use any thick tomato paste (sun dried is a gimmick by the manufacturers, it adds no taste whatsoever) or a small jar of lutenitsa ,a very tasty sauce, Check google to see what it looks like or make your own . I would add some chilli flakes to heat things up a little . lastly . Make more than you need and freeze whats left over for more meals .

1 like

HI bobski1

Thanks for your tips, I posted this 10 months ago, so it's a while since I enjoyed it, but it was good to be reminded of that soup, as it was tasty! I shall look out for the lutenitsa sauce you mentioned, and I like the suggestion of adding some chilli flakes. Thanks so much! I already freeze portions of soup - that is such a great idea. Infact, I have just taken some soup out of the freezer for today - and I wish I'd labelled what it is - as it just looks orange coloured, but I'm hoping to work it out from the taste... lol

You may also like...