Healthy Eating
30,394 members4,112 posts

Breakfast Today :-)

Breakfast Today :-)

Hi everyone,

I had a 'colourful' breakfast this morning, which really cheered me up, and has put me in a good mood for the remainder of the day.

So I'm sharing it with you. It contains: 30g porridge oats; 150 ml semi-skimmed milk; mixed seeds (chia, pumpkin and sunflower seeds); fruit (mango, strawberries and blueberries) and mixed nuts (brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts). It was approx 400 calories. A delicious start to the day, and will sustain me through till lunchtime.

What have you had for your breakfast? Please share - if you want to - as it's nice to have meal ideas.

Zest :-)

40 Replies
oldestnewest

It looks wonderful - just the thing on a dark morning :)

Sadly I skipped breakfast as had to be at work early, but looking forward to a huge veggie salad for lunch!

3 likes

Thanks benwl - I hope you enjoy that lovely Veggie salad for your lunch later. :-)

That looks extremely tasty & incredibly nutritious!

No food for me for at least 3 hours, which would have been absolutely fine until I saw your breakfast, & now my tummy is rumbling!!!

Did you cook the oats, or soak them overnight? I recently bought sprouted porridge to try with the latter using kefir, but think it's too cold this morning, & I need hot porridge. ;)

Mx

1 like

Hi Mel,

I cooked the oats. I have tried soaking them overnight, but tend to prefer to cook them in the morning. Interesting to try sprouted porridge - I didn't even know such a thing existed!

I love hot porridge!

Hope you have a really good day.

Zest :-) xx

I usually soak mine overnight, before cooking very slowly, which makes it creamier. I've just got my slow cooker out so I don't have to do so much stirring. :)

I read a few articles on sproted grains, but haven't eaten any yet. I need to read less & eat more!

Mx

onegreenplanet.org/natural-...

thehealthyhomeeconomist.com...

wholegrainscouncil.org/whol...

1 like

Thanks for these, I appreciate it. :-)

You're welcome! x

1 like

Hi Zest,

I came across sprouting whilst reading up on phytates which can decrease mineral absorption. Being veggie. I need to optimise iron, especially as my diet is calcium rich. Eating never used to be so complicated! ;) I like to throw a handful of sprouted beans & alfalfa on to anything appropriate. They can taste a little bitter, but like grapefruit pith, it's good for improving digestion.

Hope you're having a good day, too!

Mx

1 like

I'm still enjoying my daily quarter of grapefruit with Greek-style yoghurt. It is really good! :-)

1 like

Well what a coincidence I'm about to post a breakfast recipe...this looks very healthy and wholesome, so good for you...🍇😊 And beautifully presented as usual.

1 like

Great! I will look forward to seeing yours, although I'm rushing off in a moment, so I hope I don't miss it. :-) I'll certainly pop back later to take a look, I am intrigued to know what you had for your breakfast this morning. :-) I can imagine it will be really good! :-)

2 likes

Thanks my pink grapefruit looks like it was prepared by the monkeys of Longleat, 🐒 I don't have your touch when it comes to presentation 🎃 But I get by...😊

2 likes

You definitely do get by - I have been really impressed by your posts and photos. :-)

2 likes

Thank you 😊

1 like

I had a big bowl of hot porridge with sliced banana and chopped up apple after my early run! At work now! In a bakery!! Just had a peanut butter and banana sandwich with leftover apple and a few almonds! Washed down with a nice cuppa!!!

3 likes

Hi Sarakc,

Thanks for your lovely reply and your breakfast sounds tasty - well done for that early run.

I like the sound of your peanut butter and banana sandwich - that's such a lovely combination of flavours. :-)

Hope you're enjoying your day so far. Must be quite tough working around all those bakery goods! :-)

2 likes

Thank you!! First time I’ve got up for a really early run! I’m flagging a bit now! I’ve got used to being around lovely bakery goods now and they don’t tempt me at all ha ha!! 😀

1 like

that looks reall nice and something that i would enjoy after dinner.

am probley the most unhealthy eater on here as when i do have a breakfast its normally, eggs bacon home made chips tin tomato or fried and all the other things that go with an english breakfast. not all at the same ofcourse.

favorit been beans bacon in a tosted wholemeal pitta bread.😊

1 like

Hi Hidden,

Thanks for your lovely reply and also for sharing your breakfast preferences - I think homemade chips are tasty - haven't had any for a while. An English breakfast is definitely filling - and your wholemeal pitta bread breakfast sounds very tasty too.

Hope you're having a great day.

1 like

That looks so yummy, I will have to try that. Is it just the mango that is blended up?

1 like

Hi Kitten-whiskers,

The mango isn't supposed to be 'blended up' - it was the last part of the mango - so it was 'scraped' off - and got a bit mushed up in the process. :-)

The great thing about a Porridge breakfast, is you can vary the fruits, nuts, seeds etc that you add to it - making it as simple or as complex as you want! :-)

I often sprinkle some cinnamon on top, but I forgot this morning.

Sorry Zest, I thought it had been blended. It looks so nice, I will have to try it. I always look out for your posts - they are very interesting xx

1 like

Thanks, that's very kind of you. :-) xx

1 like

Was surprised you all are eating grapefruit. I was told if on medication not to eat grapefruit. And i had noticed on some of my meds instructions it said not to eat grapefruit. X😁

1 like

Hi Eils-81,

Regarding grapefruit, there is a post that BadHare did a while ago, and there is a large section within that talks of the interactions with some medication - but there are several of us in the forum who are enjoying grapefruit, as we are not taking medications.

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

You have made a very good point about being aware of the guidelines on any meds instructions and adhering to them.

Hope you're enjoying your week.

2 likes

Why do i just think everyone is on medication ? Probably because almost everyone i know takes some kind of medication. Its great to know some people are meds free and enjoying life without them. Good for you all, and some great information on this forum. Thank you all. X😁

1 like

Glad you're enjoying the Healthy Eating forum, Eils-81 and hope to see you around and about here - have a great week. :-) xx

1 like

I do take medication, but nothing that stops me enjoying my daily grapefruit. Oranges are a good swap for folate & vitamin C. 🍊

2 likes

BadHare. Yep, i love oranges also mango, strawberrys, black grapes and bananas. Hope they have good vitamin contents. I intent to learn more about the food i eat and guess this is a good place to start. Thank you so much. X 😁 ⚘

2 likes

You're welcome!

They're all tasty & nutritious, too! :)

Mel

1 like

Ah, so i am doing something right. The reason i want to learn about what i eat is that i decided to become vegetarian but ended up in hospital with very severe animia, they couldn't even get a needle in my vein as they were just popping. 69yrs is a bit old to change my diet i was told, after 2 bags of blood, 2 bags of iron and whatever else was in the other bags i decided to be more caefull in future. Never to old to learn. 😁😁😁

2 likes

I’m sure you’re doing lots of things right! Being anaemic is horrible. I often read people have had to have iron infusions on the thyroid forum, which can’t be nice experience.

I’ve been a whole food vegetarian for over 30 years, though I experienced weight gain & some health issues when I ate a vegan diet. This was from over reliance on soya that exacerbated an undiagnosed health condition. Trying to eat less made me even bigger & feel worse.

It’s important to be aware of anything we may not be getting enough of from our diets, & supplement for this. Also, as you’ve mentioned, to make sure we eat things appropriately so that they don’t clash with medication or supplements. I take iron away from foods that reduce absorption, such as wheat, or contain tannins, such as tea & coffee. Other minerals such as calcium, are absorbed by our bodies first. I aim to fit in a 3 hour “window” each afternoon, two hours after lunch, & at least an hour before any other foods, when I eat fruits, always including at least one citrus for it’s acidity & vitamin C. These both increase the breakdown of my iron supplements, & help our bodies absorb it better. Sometimes I’ll eat a big salad with tomatoes for added acidity, & dark leafy greens for minerals.

As we age, our stomach acid naturally drops, so it might be helpful to have a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in a little water, just before meals or with supplements, to improve nutrient digestion. ACV is also nice on salads & some cooked vegetables as a condiment. Even just a teaspoon helps. A squeeze of Lemon, or any fruit juice will do the same.

There are lots of helpful people on here, including a few other veggies. If you still want to change your diet to include more plant based foods, it’s easy to do without becoming poorly again. Just ask!

Mel

2 likes

Bad Hare.

Thankyou so much. think i have a lot to learn, i never gave thought to times to eat certain things. I think its going to be fun learning. Must get a brand new writing pad for all these healthy meals.

Thank you again. X😁

You're welcome Eils-81 !

Writing it down does help. I had to learn all of these things over time, & some days I mess up if I'm distracted & miss a timing point so have to choose one food type, or a supplement or medication over another. Mostly, they become routine after a few days or weeks!

As well as iron with fruit, I take thyroid hormones first thing & magnesium before sleeping. Both best on an empty stomach with only water & a pinch ascorbc acid powder.

Vitamin D is best absorbed with something fatty, so I have this with nuts, seeds, & wholemilk kefir.

Since starting a new type HRT. I've been using transdermal magnesium, so the magnesium tablets don't reduce the efficacy. The first few weeks were awkward, but I think I've cracked my new routine. :)

Mel x

1 like

Ooh, looks yummy Zest and porridge is my favourite food, I love it. You can forget all those sugary cereals.

Alicia :)

1 like

Hi Alicia,

I agree - I wouldn't return to sugary cereals - porridge wins for me every time! :-)

Zest :-) xx

Most definitely - yuk to sugary cereals ;)

Alicia xx:)

1 like

lol :-)

1 like

My luxury weekend breakfast is 50 g oats, 150 ml skimmed, cinnamon, teaspoon honey, pumpkin seeds and raisins Yummy!

1 like

Mmmm, that sounds like a lovely breakfast, bbwnoire71 :-)

1 like

You may also like...