Healthy Eating
31,294 members4,289 posts

It's the Weekend!!! :-)

It's the Weekend!!!  :-)

Hi everyone,

I am excited that the weekend is here. On Friday evenings I often have something 'extra' in the way of a 'dessert' - here is my meal this evening - a Thai Green Curry which has chicken thighs, aubergine, green pepper, coconut milk, Thai spices and paste, and it's served on a bed of brown basmati rice, and a squeeze of fresh lime. Approx 570 calories.

For dessert I had some vanilla ice-cream with some sliced almonds and a strawberry. Approx 179 calories.

What have you had for your evening meal? I'd love to hear, as it's great to share meal ideas.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Zest :-)

41 Replies
oldestnewest

Looks great, savoury mince here, I’m very jealous

1 like

Aww, thanks prawncess - I felt like I was having a Banquet tonight - it was really good. Your Savoury Mince sounds great though! I hope you enjoyed it! Have a lovely weekend.

Zest :-) xx

2 likes

Good evening Zest glad you are ok. This evening I am having chicken steak with a jacket potato and a side salad. Tomorrow having lunch out and shopping in West fields Sunday we are going to Windsor for the day and we go to the pub for dinner. So not much cooking for me this weekend which is good cause I don’t like cooking much have a good weekend.

1 like

Hi Caroline,

Great to see you, and I love the sound of your evening meal - Chicken steak with a Jacket potato and a side salad, that sounds really good! I hope you enjoyed it. :-)

Enjoy your day in Windsor tomorrow, and your pub dinner - I hope you have some nice weather for that.

Have a great weekend, and hope you enjoy each and every moment. :-)

Hi zest

Your meal looks delicious 😋 I've no doubt that it would taste just as good.

For me I had boring wholemeal toast and scrambled eggs boring but delicious 😋 especially as it was my lovely hubby who made it for me, and as a small 65kcal treat I had a mini vienna ice cream, I think it would come to about 550 kcal, that's a lot for me but it was worth it.

I hope you have a lovely weekend

Rosie 😊 xx

3 likes

Hi Rosie,

Thank you so much, I really like spicy foods.

Wow, I love the sound of your meal - I really LOVE eggs - and would never think of scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast as boring - it would be a fantastic meal - and I think it's lovely that your lovely hubby made it for you - that's even better!!!

Wow, a Mini Vienna ice-cream, that sounds REALLY good!

Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you have a lovely weekend.

2 likes

That's the first time I have said what I had for a meal and I felt really nervous so that's a big step for me lol 😂 I've even bought some cauliflower rice from Iceland, I'm thinking of having it with some of they're tinned curry and some added spices ie garlic salt, sea salt, I've never had meat in a tin I know it comes under the processed umbrella but my hubby makes most of my meals due to the fibromyalgia I suffer from and I am trying to make it easier for him.

Sorry for the long reply

Rosie 😊 xx

3 likes

Rosie, I am so happy that you shared what you ate, and although you felt really nervous, I hope you now feel ok having done it - because it was lovely to hear about your meal, and it's one of my favourite kinds of meals - I'm sure others will also enjoy a meal like that - I love poached eggs too. Boiled eggs - wow, eggs are so versatile.

I'd be interested to hear how the caulflower rice tastes - a couple of years back I tried to make it myself, and I remember popping into the forum to get 'help' as it got a bit complicated for me. So it sounds a lot easier to have some pre-bought.

I hope the meat tastes nice - and I hope that you enjoy all your meals over the weekend.

Please don't apologise for the length of your reply - I am similarly long, and infact longer - so you and me both - we're enjoying a longer reply! :-)

Zest :-) xxx

3 likes

Don't waste your money buying in cawliflower rice. It couldn't be simpler to make: break (or cut) into small florettes. Whizz in the food processor til it looks like rice. Place in a plastic bowl, cover with cling film, microwave for 1-2 mins. Eat.

I love it with curry or chilli or anything with a sauce. Behaves just like rice and blots up the sauce. Yummy! (Can also put chopped coriander into it, season it if you want, whatever). Easy peasy! X

I don't know how I'd survive without eggs. Luckily, like you, I love them and they really hot the spot when you're starving!

2 likes

Mmmm, I love eggs :-)

Count yourself lucky! I had my eggs without any toast (no carbs). 😉

1 like

It looks really tasty, as for your treat...good for you 🍓 I had casserole (lots of veg) with sweet potatoes and an apple crumble with a quinoa and linseed topping with some yoghurt 🎃

You enjoy your weekend too

2 likes

Hi Jerry,

Thank you! Your Casserole with lots of veg and sweet potatoes followed by that delicious sounding Apple Crumble with very interesting topping - that sounds fantastic!

I like your little Pumpkin too. :-)

Yes, here's to an excellent weekend!

2 likes

If I’d thought I’d have taken a photo...you have great weekend too 🎃

1 like

I dont think iv seen anyone with such a multitude of different meals. this is fantasic you will certainly never get bored. have a lovely week end Zest.

1 like

Hi grace111,

It's nice to read that feedback, because sometimes I think to myself that I only have a few meals that I circulate, but posting in this forum gives me inspiration to try new things, and so the result has been an expansion in the range of meals I've been having. I am always looking out for new things to try and enjoy.

Here's to a lovely weekend.

2 likes

Hi Zest,

Your curry looks good!

I stopped by the supermarket on my late way home and saw a lovely great pack of spinach, and some huge bunches of fresh parsley and coriander. Inspired by the Persian ash reshteh soups, I made this herby, spicy, spinach and bean stew.

Contents were onions, garlic, caraway seeds, pepper, ginger, tumeric, chilli, spinach, chick peas, kidney beans, parsley and coriander. And only took about 25 mins to make.

I got some mangoes for dessert but too full to eat them now :)

3 likes

Hi benwl,

Thank you!

Wow, your Herby Spicy Spinach and Bean Stew sounds wonderful. I bet it was really delicious - I love fresh coriander in particular. Such a great taste. Thanks for sharing the contents, as I am very tempted to try that combination - I love ginger too. Must get some! I will look up Persian ash reshteh soups so I can see the source of your inspiration.

You've got your delicious Mangoes to eat later - that is great!

Have a lovely weekend.

1 like

Im new here! Zest your meal last night looks yummy! I was encouraged to join by your positive attitude and responses from all! Have a lovely weekend All and keep warm x.

2 likes

Hi disciple-12,

Welcome to the Healthy eating forum. It's great that you've joined, and thank you for your lovely reply. I hope you have a great weekend, and do have a look at our 'Topics' section - there are lots of recipes and meal ideas there, and other info too.

Hope to see you round and about in the forum, and have a great weekend.

1 like

Thank you! X

1 like

Hi Zest,

I love Thai curry!

I make mine with fish free red paste, & tempeh. For some reason,I put in lots & lots of carrots, & eat half as it’s cooking, squash & broadbeans also go well if I can’t get tempeh.

Mx

1 like

Hi Mel,

Yes, I love Thai Curry too - I am going to do a Red one next week - fancied a Green one last night. :-) I love the sound of your curry, with all those delicious ingredients. Yum!

1 like

You led me astray tonight, Zest. I had a coconut curry with lots of fresh chopped chilli. 🌶🌶🌶😀🍵

1 like

Oooh, that sounds good!!!! :-)

Yummy Zest, that looks lovely and I bet you enjoyed it. I am on the curry tonight, homemade of course, so that I can make room in my freezer for more food as I'm going to be using my slow cooker for the first time next week.

Last night I made homemade custard, tomorrow it's homemade ice-cream (I looked on the tub I ice-cream I have in the freezer that my hubby was eating and didn't like the amount of rubbish in it). I've yet to get the organic white bread flour for the starter for the sourdough - Sainsburys only had wholemeal - and yet to order the Kefir grains.

The custard I made last night was delicious and I knew exactly what was in it :)

Alicia

1 like

Real custard is delicious, & also the base for real ice cream. I’ve never made the latter, but someone once made my favourite chocolate & cardamom. I should have a go myself, but I’d eat the lot in one go!

Mx

1 like

Ice cream is the next dessert I'm making as when I looked at the ingredients on the tub that I have in the fridge (I bought the ice cream for my hubby) I couldn't believe the amount of rubbish that was in it. I used to make a lovely chocolate one years ago but haven't made ice cream in a very long time.

I also love ice cream and would happily eat a big bowl of it.

Alicia x

2 likes

Hi Alicia,

Thanks so much - it was very tasty. :-) Your homemade custard sounds great, and the fact it makes delicious ice-cream the next day - what a great idea! I've never made custard from scratch - I must give it a go sometime. Especially to think it would make good ice-cream - I might do it just for that purpose!!!

Hope you're enjoying Sunday so far.

1 like

Yes my hubby enjoyed it very much. I had some left in the bowl and you can reheat it once more so it didn't go to waste.

Vanilla ice cream is the next thing on my list to make and I will probably be making that tomorrow, along with some homemade bread (I need to use up some of the flour I have before making a sourdough starter).

Hope you've had a good weekend.

Alicia :)

2 likes

Hi Alicia,

I've just finished watching a programme on TV called 'Eat Well for Less' and they were discussing the contents of ice-cream, and they recommended having the ones that are labelled as 'Dairy Ice-cream' because they have to have 'dairy' products in them, and apparently the 'non-dairy' versions can have all sorts of 'nasties' in them like 'palm oil' etc. So it is good to check ingredients for definite - but even better to make your own, as you're considering doing.

If you find a good recipe to make it, please let me know - your chocolate one sounds good!

I've seen that programme and some of the people certainly spend a lot of money and some buy rubbish. I didn't realise that the ones labelled as 'Dairy' were better.

I've got a few recipes for ice - cream and will share the chocolate and vanilla ones later this week.

Alicia :)

1 like

Oh great, I will look forward to that. :-)

1 like

I have a soup on Fridays, home made of course. But hubby and my Dad have fish and chips. I'm always given a few chips, delicious. On Saturdays I have my treat night, crisps, glutton free, only 25 ozs. I'm crafty because I have them in two lots, 15 ozs and 10 ozs. That way it's working for me. 😀

1 like

Sounds good, Justintime - and glad you've found something that works well for you regarding enjoying your crisps. Soup is so versatile isn't it - and tasty. I had some for lunch today - it was Vegetable with Ginger, and it was warming and nice. What kind of soup did you have?

Hope you're enjoying your week.

I must apologise for the much delayed reply! I usually make a sweet potato soup, spicy, with other vegetables. Onions, carrots,tomatoes, green beans,courgettes,spinach and mushrooms. I make enough for 5 dinners. After that I will perhaps have a small slice of sourdough pizza, a wrap with a tiny amount of cheese or kippers. Lovely. Take care

1 like

Hi Justintime,

I really like sweet potatoes, and your soup sounds lovely. Wow, I've not had Kippers for a while, thanks for reminding me of their existence, I do like them! Might have some Kippers on the weekend for breakfast! :-)

Have a great week.

Same to you, I must have turned the notification settings off for this forum,. Then had brain fog forgetting I had it as an app on my phone. 🤣

1 like

I know what you mean about 'brain fog' - I get that too sometimes. :-)

Hi Zest, it's an utter pain. I'm always forgetting something, hey ho that's the way it goes, hee hee.

You may also like...